Could you tune a Baritone up to standard (440)...

thriftyshirt

• Members

COnsidering 12s are 'medium' guage and a touch lighter than what came on electrics originally....

26.5" scale archtop acoustics weren't THAT uncommon in the acoustic jazz era.

THose were using 13-56 minimum in order to get max volume.

Anything with a reasonably good construction should be able to handle it, depending on scale and guage.

THing about this: a 28 5/8" scale baritone capoed at the 2nd fret is a 25.5" scale guitar.

TUne one to D and you have the exact same tension as that guage in E.

Go down a guage and tune to 440 and you have about the same.

• Members

So, I'm playing 12-54 gauge on my paul already, and wouldn't mind going up a gauge, but the tension gets a lil too much for any bends.

Plus, I'm always in the mood for more chunk.

So would a baritone tuned to standard be much less, more or about the same tension?

I'm terrible at math. :o

• Members

Well A440 just means that when you play an A it will be at 440 and everything else relative, but you could be in any tuning. I often tune to around A447 when I record, whether I'm in drop d, c or whatever. But to answer the original question as others have, no you don't want to try and tune tune standard with a bartione. That goes against the whole point of using one anyway. Your intonation will be off because of the scale length and you're likely to snap strings.

• Members
Originally posted by Filter500

But to answer the original question as others have, no you don't want to try and tune tune standard with a bartione. That goes against the whole point of using one anyway. Your intonation will be off because of the scale length and you're likely to snap strings.

One thing here is almost true and that's the string snapping issue.

• Members

So you've gotten a baritone perfectly intonated in standard? I'd like to hear it.

SO you don't have adjustable saddles on yours?

Please look into how intonation actually works before correcting me here.

I KNOW somone who plays a 27" scale in standard, and he'd hear the difference, what with his degree in music theory and guitar...

As well as the fact that it's been setup by a guy I know who's been doing it for about 20 years as well as truly understands the mathmatical principals involved.

So before you spout off, look into your claims.

• Members

Originally posted by TheGZeus,OnFire

SO you don't have adjustable saddles on yours?

Please look into how intonation actually works before correcting me here.

I KNOW somone who plays a 27" scale in standard, and he'd hear the difference, what with his degree in music theory and guitar...

As well as the fact that it's been setup by a guy I know who's been doing it for about 20 years as well as truly understands the mathmatical principals involved.

So before you spout off, look into your claims.

My apologies sir. I've had problems tuning down to b accurately because of the distance between the frets on a 25.5 scale, which goes beyond saddle adjustment, so I would think it would be true as well when tuning up on a longer scale instrument. Do you feel better now that you've taken me to school, attitude and all?

• Members

My apologies sir. I've had problems tuning down to b accurately because of the distance between the frets on a 25.5 scale, which goes beyond saddle adjustment, so I would think it would be true as well when tuning up on a longer scale instrument. Do you feel better now that you've taken me to school, attitude and all?

What you have just claimed defies the laws of physics.

Distance between the frets?

If your intonation is off, the saddle is poorly adjusted, the nut is poorly placed, the FRETS THEMSELVES are poorly placed, or you're using HUUUGE strings and it's 'choking.'

Choking is what happens when you use too large of strings for a particular scale. You lose the fundamental in a big mushy pile of unmusical overtones.

You brought the attitude, dude.

• Members

Originally posted by TheGZeus,OnFire

One thing here is almost true and that's the string snapping issue.

No arrogance in this statement? If I were you I would have replied something like, "actually intonation shouldn't be an issue since..." but instead you wanted to "slam" me. I was using 10-52 strings. Now from your statements I get the impression you're the kind of guy who knows a lot, more than just baritones. It sounds like you're used to issuing the occasional slam. I guess my foundation in thought regarding baritones, basses, tuning, scale length and such were all wrong. Scale length is about tension, nothing more, correct? I aplogize for giving misleading information, but it was what I believed to be true. It's just one little post, and if I'm wrong, someone can correct me, hopefully in a respectful manner.

• Members

No arrogance in this statement? If I were you I would have replied something like, "actually intonation shouldn't be an issue since..." but instead you wanted to "slam" me. I was using 10-52 strings. Now from your statements I get the impression you're the kind of guy who knows a lot, more than just baritones. It sounds like you're used to issuing the occasional slam. I guess my foundation in thought regarding baritones, basses, tuning, scale length and such were all wrong. Scale length is about tension, nothing more, correct? I aplogize for giving misleading information, but it was what I believed to be true. It's just one little post, and if I'm wrong, someone can correct me, hopefully in a respectful manner.

Any arrogance in this statement is inferred by you.

I found the way you were espousing all sorts of falsehood as though you yourself were an expert significantly more arrogant.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

"THe only true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing." Socrates.

Knowing what you don't know is more important than knowing what you do.

Archived