Getting your music heard without playing live?

Lemon Crush

• Members

When you are capable to be the composer, lyricist, artist, producer, mixer, designer, promoter, artist manager and marketing manager all in one person, then you invented a new marketing system.

And when you are the only person who buys the product, then the circle is closed. You're a total genius now.

This is one of the best things I've ever read in this forum.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We are now, after hard work for months, the best rock or pop band on this planet. We just finished a fabulous production. the whole band has charisma and everything we could wish for.

Nobody knows our music yet.

What are the ways to change that?

If someone would ask me this question, then I would tell them some ways. If not, not.

• Members

well, okay einstein/rudolph/Angelo...do tell, what are the ways to change that?

A potential hit song must be promoted. The common ways to do that is:

- tv appearance, local tv, national tv, international tv

- viral video marketing

- clone marketing

- interviews on tv

- arcticles in magazines, i.e. women magazin

- radio play

- international promotion: you product is introduce in 96 countries, including your music, bio and video

- your music is licenced to 96 countries by your master licence partner, accompanied by your promo material

- your music video on music channels worldwide

- your song used in branding

All managed by your personal manager and the company you signed the master licence with. Your manager has a lot to do.

• Members

- viral video marketing

- clone marketing

- interviews on tv

- radio play

- international promotion: you product is introduce in 96 countries, including your music, bio and video

- your music is licenced to 96 countries by your master licence partner, accompanied by your promo material

All managed by your personal manager and the company you signed the master licence with. Your manager has a lot to do.

With all due respect, this is a bit like the old Steve Martin joke: "How to be a millionaire-first, get a million dollars!" The steps you listed, with the exception of viral video, have ALWAYS been how one made it. The only difference is in who did it for you. Where a major label used it's clout, now it's all up to your hired management (if they'll take you on, that is).

• Members

Take popular, successful acts that are similar to your music. Target their followers, or "likers" on twitter and facebook and post shareable youtube links of your music. That should get you "heard" by 5-10 people, then who knows??

This is good advice. I think the best way to get people to actually listen is to catch them where they consume similar music and offer yours.

• Members
With all due respect, this is a bit like the old Steve Martin joke: "How to be a millionaire-first, get a million dollars!" The steps you listed, with the exception of viral video, have ALWAYS been how one made it. The only difference is in who did it for you. Where a major label used it's clout, now it's all up to your hired management (if they'll take you on, that is).

That made me think ... How many of us here could have a reasonably successful music career if we were given a million dollars to promote ourselves (and we spent it wisely)? My guess is that many of us could. Not suggesting we can all be the new [insert your chosen fave here] but having a reasonably successful career? Yep I think so.

• Moderators

- viral video marketing

- clone marketing

- interviews on tv

- radio play

:lol:

thanks, Einstein, for enlightening us with your amazing insider knowledge.

so your bottom line is to find a manager who can do all this for you...perfect, thanks, that was extremely insightful and I'm certain everyone here will be out looking to find that manager now. :rolleyes:

• Members
:lol:
thanks, Einstein, for enlightening us with your amazing insider knowledge.

so your bottom line is to find a manager who can do all this for you...perfect, thanks, that was extremely insightful and I'm certain everyone here will be out looking to find that manager now.
:rolleyes:

Do you know any artist who sells and doesn't have a management?

Do you know how record companies promote your products worldwide. Do you know how songs get to the telecom companies and sell millions to cell phone clients. Do you know how clone marketing works. Does anyone know how viral video works.

• Members

"Do you know any artist who sells and doesn't have a management?"

Yes.

Though I don't know too many folks who don't sell and who have management.

If there is something that is already working, then you can get folks to help you build it. If other people can pay themselves off of work they do for you, then you can get them to work.

But if you don't have something that is already working, nobody knows you when you're down and out.

Unless you can just buy folks that know what they are doing. I know one guy who did just that. Of course, he started out wealthy and has made all his money from selling services to other musicians in the form or tour bus rentals. He still doesn't sell, and as far as I can tell he no longer has management.

Most people don't have that kind of cash to float their hobby, but I have known a couple. It is still hit and miss.

• Moderators

^ this...like anything else in the biz today, you can't get big unless you are already getting there. Finding management is simple if you are big enough already to make you worth their while. So getting there is obviously the trick, yes?

Viral video? It is a crapshoot, really...there is no way to guarantee a vid goes viral without pouring money in it, and all over it...which ain't where its at.

Einstein, you look at the system 'top down' and see it as simple; we look at it from 'bottom up' and see it as difficult.

Your approach is like saying 'if you want to be the president of the USA, then, get elected. Do that by becoming a senator or a congressperson, or a cabinet member. Do that by getting a law degree from a top ten university; It would help if you were a Rhodes Scholar...but at least be on the Dean's list...do that by being a straight A student, oh and getting a full scholarship would definitely help too'...:rolleyes: yeah, well within reach.

My experience is many people who are successful in the entertainment field are that way in spite of themselves, in other words, they got lucky, were in the right place at the right time, said the right words to the right person, stepped into the right room on the right day...serendipity, my friends, is the real key...hard work and dedication is no guarantee. The best people to know in the biz are the ones who admit that. The worst ones to work for are the ones who believe they did it all on their own... :wave:

• Members

Interesting debates going on, but I still believe that Steve Martin had it right when he said, "Be so good they can't ignore you."

Sure, with money and marketing, anyone can be heard---that's called pop music. It's a machine.

But for a singer/songwriter, an actual musician? To achieve enduring success, it's all about being so god damn good that you can't be ignored. If it's THAT good, then people will start turning each other on to it---no viral videos or cute gimmicks needed.

• Members

Nobody just gets known without bringing the music to the people.

Carol King would not be know three houses down the road without promotion. And that women is known all over the world, not only in the USA. Also the singer/songwriter genre is a timeless genre, and certainly not the bubble gum kind which are in the pop charts for 1-3 months and then are forgotten.

And about the "big promotion hammer" that kind of promotion died a long time ago. There aren't any companies left who waste millions in an artist and then fail on the profit.

• Members

Did you know that there is "ON AIR RADIO" the websites of radio stations from which the program maker, DJs make their program with- Any songwriter can become a member and upload his songs, and hundreds of songs make it into the radio program that way.

Not that your manager, or yourself shouldn't send the physical carrier with a bio to the station, and not that you shouldn't make a radio tour.

• Members

Did you know that there is "ON AIR RADIO" the websites of radio stations from which the program maker, DJs make their program with-
Any songwriter can become a member and upload his songs,
and hundreds of songs make it into the radio program that way.

Oh, goodie, another little pile of needles in a giant needle stack.

Archived