What is a REAL good string brand for electric?

mad axe man

• Members

It does depend on body chemistry and whether or not you wash your hands often. Ernie Balls sound nice for maybe a day, whereas D'addario's last a little longer, but can sound kind of percussive. GHS's are kind of the same. Electro-Harmonix have a brand out that sound really good, but they are a few dollars more than alot of other well-known brands. I like the ernie ball power slinky sets myself, but I have to change strings fairly often.

• Members

Originally posted by Blackbelt1

You're going to get a slew of responses with a slew of opinions; ultimately you'll have to decide for yourself.

I use DR or D'Addarrios...hate GHS, Ernie Ball, & Fender strings. JMO, YMMV.

~Blackbelt

+1 for me.

I use Elixir nanowebs as well and I think they're great.

• Members

I usually use GHS Boomer 11's and I've gotten good results with them. I also like the DR Pure Blues a little better than the Boomers but they're hard to find in stores, particularly in 11's, so I usually end up with Boomers.

• Members
Originally posted by One-armed Alec

I found exactly the same thing. I have a real problem with plain strings rusting up and feeling sticky. With D'Addario XLs, I tend to get about a gig's-worth or around three days playing in the house before the strings develop black sticky patches between the frets.

Recently, thought I'd try Ernie

• Members

I reccomend just buying one pack from every brand and try them out. Then you'll see which set you like the most. It turns out that I liked most of the strings I played, except for the Ernie Balls which sucked. My favs from that tryout ended up to be Elixer, DR, D'addario, and Fender strings.

• Members

It's different for everybody..

I love DR's on my agile strat, they sound really good because the pickups are a bit muddy, but my guitar teacher hates em becuase his '74 tele's pickups are bright on their own, and DR's make it too bright... Your just gonna have to find out for yourself...

Archived