Epiphone Sheraton II vs. Ibanez AK-85....any thoughts?

apostrophe

• Members

Originally posted by apostrophe

whys that?

theyre sound is medium. not bad, not good.

the epi semi hollows sound very good. im not sure what a sheraton II is, but ive played a sheraton and it played amazing, nice and solid feeling and smooth. and sounded awesome.

the artcores dont feel like that, and sure as hell dont sound like htat. but theyre not bad by any stretch.

• Members

I'm not sure about the Ibanez but I have an Epi Sheraton II and it's about as close to a Gibby 335 as you can get.

I've played '60's era 335's that are fabulous but the Sheraton stacks up nicely againt a newer 335.

• Members

You got the natural or the vintage?

Got a pic?

so, can the Sheraton do jazz? I really want something that can handle jazz (grant green), funk (james brown) and also some exploratory spacey fusiony rocky type stuff (zappa).

can it plain out rock too?

• Members

thanks guys!

awesome pics, what a beauty!

now im leaning back towards the sheraton. when i first started looking for a funk/jazz guitar it was my first choice. then i played the ak85 and thought that that was the way to go....

.....but man, that sherri is gorgeous! how are the stock pu's?

• Members

I thionk the Sheraton II and the Dot are the best guitars Epi makes. I think they may have been even better 10-15 years ago, but that may be entire psychopsomatic. The Sheraton is the Epi that really has a great attention to finish and detail. And they sound and play great.

-Y.

• Members

Just A/B them for yourself. Some of the lower line Artcores aren't that nice but some of the more expensive ones are certainly in the same class as an Epiphone. You just have to narrow it down to what plays the best and sounds the best to YOU! Good luck!

• Members

I'd go with Ibanez... when I was facing the problem of choice between jazzboxes, I only had an opportunity to try Epi's Sheraton II, Joe Pass Emperor, Zephyr Regent and Ibanez's AF75, AS73...

I fell in love with Ibanez ... I loved the sound of stock pickups and the way those guitars lay in my hands ;) I ordered AK85 from musiciansfriend.com and I didn't know what to expect... the guitar's wonderful, I swapped the neck pickup for Seymour Duncan Seth Lover and now I'm totally happy with the guitar ... the bridge pickup (which I don't use very often) is still good for some bright funkin chords or some sco-tone...

pics:

46pg.jpg

56ns.jpg

81fu.jpg

90sg.jpg

110kb.jpg

71ds.jpg

GOOD LUCK

• Members

Originally posted by apostrophe

thanks guys!

awesome pics, what a beauty!

now im leaning back towards the sheraton. when i first started looking for a funk/jazz guitar it was my first choice. then i played the ak85 and thought that that was the way to go....

.....but man, that sherri is gorgeous! how are the stock pu's?

Thanks (if you're talking about mine I guess).

This one had a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom in it when I bought it and it sounds great. The neck pickup is stock and I have no intention of changing it and I'm a chronic pickup changer.

BTW, that guitar had an aftermarket Bigsby on it that I removed. That's what those 2 little screws are.

• Members

One is a total hollowbody with a spruce top and the other is semi-hollow with maple ply. Totally different beasts. I loved my AK85 played acoustically and the build quality. But I had to swap out the pickups, pots and add a Bigsby and roller bridge to get something I really like played through an amp.

In all though the AK85 is a great alternative to those acoustic electric guitars out there.

artcore.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by guitarcapo

In all though the AK85 is a great alternative to those acoustic electric guitars out there.

artcore.jpg

"acoustic-electric" refers to acoustic guitars with pickups in them. you're talking about hollow or semi-hollow electrics. an important difference. :cool:

• Members

"acoustic-electric" refers to acoustic guitars with pickups in them. you're talking about hollow or semi-hollow electrics. an important difference.

The point I'm trying to make is that all those guys doing the "me and my guitar" thing at open mike night at Joes bar on Thursday night with their quacky piezo pickup "Acoustic/Electric" guitar would sound a lot better with a hollow jazz guitar like the AK-85.

I do know the difference.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarcapo

The point I'm trying to make is that all those guys doing the "me and my guitar" thing at open mike night at Joes bar on Thursday night with their quacky piezo pickup "Acoustic/Electric" guitar would sound a lot better with a hollow jazz guitar like the AK-85.

I do know the difference.

Ohhhh i misunderstood you dude. you're totally right. good point. my mistake.

• Members

I personally would stay away from any of the imports that have that cheesy looking abalone in pearl combo inlay. First of all it is not real abalone or MOP and it just looks gaudy, cheesy to me. I played the Sheraton II in a store and was not impressed but it may have just been the setup but it did not play well. However I came across an Ibanez am73 which had dot inlays, played great and I got it for a lot less than the Sheraton. Pickups are decent but I may eventually upgrade to something hotter like Gibson 57s or SDs because it is my main "play out in public" with humbuckers instrument. I don't want to take chances with my Gibson.

Archived