MF Scratch and Dent

bullpencoach

• Members

Has anyone ever bought a scratch and dent item from Musicians Friend? They assure it's just a cosmetic flaw, which is not that big a deal to me considering the discount. However, I was wondering if anyone else had experience with this. It's not that expensive a guitar, by the way.

• Members

I've bought four scratch & dent items from them.

One was a Tubescreamer that simply didn't come with a box. I assume it was a customer return.

A Squier Standard Strat, which was probably also a customer return. There were no cosmetic flaws with the guitar itself. The trem arm was missing, but MF replaced it free. The setup was unplayable, and it had to have a new set of strings put on it.

Squier Affinity Tele & Strat specials. Both had significant chips in the finish.

• Members

One time they send me a guitar they advertised as new, when it was in fact a scratch and dent. It was a Schecter C1 Classic. The volume knob looked like someone stomped on it with a heavy pair of boots. It splintered the finish and the wood. It was functional, but if you were rough with it, you probably would have been able to push the pot the rest of the way thru the wood. I would actaully classify that as "C" class. Damaged really more than just minor wear.

Needless to say I returned it.

• Members

Originally posted by Mazi Bee

One time they send me a guitar they advertised as new, when it was in fact a scratch and dent. It was a Schecter C1 Classic. The volume knob looked like someone stomped on it with a heavy pair of boots. It splintered the finish and the wood. It was functional, but if you were rough with it, you probably would have been able to push the pot the rest of the way thru the wood. I would actaully classify that as "C" class. Damaged really more than just minor wear.

You know, when I hear a story like this, I've got to wonder what MF is thinking? I mean, for them to do this, there must be people who are willing to pay for new and receive scratch & dent in its place....I just can't believe that there are people who would do that :(

• Members

Originally posted by jpp413

You know, when I hear a story like this, I've got to wonder what MF is thinking? I mean, for them to do this, there must be people who are willing to pay for new and receive scratch & dent in its place....I just can't believe that there are people who would do that
:(

The thing is, it was on sale for $200 off the normal price. NOWHERE on the page did it mention ANYTHING about scratch and dent. It was probably supposed to be listed as B stock but they messed up on the website, not the warehouse.

So anyway, I used it to my advantage and sent American Musical a price match request. Since they normally don't price match scratch and dent items they happily agreed to the price match, since nowhere on the site did it mention scratch and dent!

So I ended up getting a perfect new one at AMS for scratch and dent prices anyway!

:D

Schecter_C1_Classic_VNG.jpg

• Members

The thing is, it was on sale for $200 off the normal price. NOWHERE on the page did it mention ANYTHING about scratch and dent. It was probably supposed to be listed as B stock but they messed up on the website, not the warehouse.

So anyway, I used it to my advantage and sent American Musical a price match request. Since they normally don't price match scratch and dent items they happily agreed to the price match, since nowhere on the site did it mention scratch and dent!

So I ended up getting a perfect new one at AMS for scratch and dent prices anyway!

I know what you mean --- you can get some great deals on some of these open-box items :cool:

• Members

Schecter_C1_Classic_VNG.jpg

You should be president!

• Members

I've only ever ordered 2 gits from MF and both of them showed up as B stock or scratch and dent. Not that a minor scratch bothers me, but the priciple behind it got to me so I sent both back and haven't done business with them again. The first one really wasn't their fault, an Epi dot that had way, way too many paint flaws in it. That thing should have been stamped a 2nd at the factory. The other one though had to be a customer return they tried to sell as new.

I say, {censored} em and feed em fishheads!

• Members

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/mazibee4/Schecter/Schecter_C1_Classic_VNG.jpg
[/img]

:cool:

You did your homework!

• Members

Originally posted by BowerR64

Mazi Bee should start a website where we can just go and scroll threw his pictures of guitars....

I'd go there every day. Great idea!

I've also received disfigured guitars from MF that were supposed to be new - I shudder to think of how beat-up the scratched and dented ones look!

• Members

MF has a warehouse in KC, Mo. that is all returns, scratch/dent and sometimes just plain broken. I went there a couple of weeks ago hoping to replace my POS $50, warped neck garbage 12 string. They had a Washburn D-10, 12 string with the headstock snapped completely off. I paid $40 out the door, glued the headstock back on, did the appropriate filling of the repair, sanded it out, refinished the neck and I have a great playing and decent sounding 12 string. There was a whole room of acoustics. Some were sent back to MF and just needed a good set-up. There was a nice Tak jumbo maple body 12 that the truss rod was stripped. That one was too much for what would have had to be done to it. But...careful shopping can get someone some really nice equipment there...they were quite open to negotiating prices...The Washburn I bought was listed at $75.

• Members

This may be helpful or instructive, you make your own judgements. A few months ago I bought a Roland BC60 off the closeouts page for $299. Got it and the reverb tank was dead.

Sent it back, and a few days later a single BC60 appeared on the closeouts page for $30 cheaper with no mention of any problems.

Was it the one I sent back with the dead reverb? Who knows, but I assumed it was based on the timing.

Incidentally, it looks like they're somehow getting new BC60s back in stock. I'm considering checking another one out (they'd sold out of new ones by the time I sent my other one back).

• Members

How do you know the damage did not happen on the way to your house?

Kind of silly assumption you are making that MF sent you a broken guitar.

• Members

Originally posted by IWillGuitBuy

As silly as assuming you know more about it than he does?

• Members

Originally posted by IWillGuitBuy

Because there was no damage whatsoever to the box that it came in, and it was double boxed, silly. :rolleyes:

Archived