Should I sell all of my guitars to get one great guitar?

• Members

I'm contemplating selling all of my electics and perhaps some other stuff to get one great electric guitar. I'm just afraid of having just one sound. I'm not gigging or anything right now, but still. If I do this (or even if not), I won't be able to buy another guitar for several years. The guitars I have now are fine playing and sounding guitars, but I feel that it would be nice just to have one great guitar. Maybe I'd focus more on playing with just one guitar. I'm just afraid I won't get much or be able to sell some of my guitars to make it worthwhile. Here's what I'd be selling (THIS ISN'T A SPAM THREAD! I'm not selling these here! So don't erase the thread!):

Gibson SG Special Faded - Epi HSC (mint), 57 Classic (n)/SD 59 (b), older version (better hardware, finish, body, ebony fretboard) excellent condition (some small scratches/dents...it's a Faded) = ~$650

Squier Pro Tone Strat - Fender HSC (very good condition), Fender saddles, Fender tortoise pickguard, Kent Armstrong Tweedtones, excellent condition (various small/light scratches) = ~$350

Route 101 Rincon Custom (Tele) - Route 101 HSC (excellent), Kent Armstrong PAF humbucker (n), Fender switch, WD pickguard cut for hum (stock included) = ~$250

Behringer Vintager AC112 amp - Perfect functioning condition, very good cosmetic condition (some small tears in tolex) = ~$130

I'd probably just put these up on Ebay to get maximum money. Overall I'd hope to get $1,200-$1,300. With this I obviously have many options. But I'm not positive on what to get. I prefer Fender guitars (the scale, the feel, the comfort), but I fear only getting one sound. I love the Strat sound, but maybe not as the only sound. I like Tele's, but would miss the Strat (esepcially the feel and comfort). I'd rather get an upper end Fender rather than a lower end Gibson. I'd only be getting this guitar from Dave's Guitar (I really want to play before paying). Here are some guitars I've been looking at so far:

010-1200-720.jpg

Fender American Deluxe Strat (Amber/rosewood) - $1049

010-1200-700.jpg

Fender American Deluxe Strat (3-color sunburst/rosewood) - $1099

011-2004-803.jpg

Fender American Deluxe 50th Anniversary Strat (2-color sunburst/maple) - $1199

010-1400-752.jpg

Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratorcaster (tobacco sunburst, rosewood) - $1199 (I think)

For Strats, I think I'd prefer rosewood for the supposedly warmer sound. Playability wise, I like maple/rosewood equally. I really would prefer the sunburst, but I really dislike the American Standard sunburst. Too much dark brown/orange (3-color?). I prefer the more yellow/light brown (2-color?). Did the 50th Anniversiarys only come with maple necks?

For Tele's, I'm not sure. I'd have to see what they have. If I were to get a Tele, I'd want it to have a vintage ashtray bridge or be able to cheaply swap one in.

I'm not sure what to look for in other brands. PRS's seem to be out of my range (I'll have to look though). I'm not sure how I'd feel about Gibson's. Dave's stock is really thinning out anyway. The new Hamers look interesting, but are all out of my range. I don't really care for Rics or Gretsches (although some of the solid Gretsches are neat).

Is this just a bad idea? Any recommendations on guitars? I'm definately leaning in the Fender Am. Delx. Strat direction (I like the sunburst looks better than the Std. line).

I play mostly clean/light OD blues (I'm really getting into the Kings and Muddy Waters and more so Chicago and some Delta stuff than Texas) and sometimes classic rock stuff (Led Zep, Cream, Hendrix type stuff). Like I said, I don't play out right now (outside of occasionally at a church and lessons) so I don't really need to cover a lot of tonal ground, but I like good and appropriate tone. The feel and playability of the guitar is MUCH more important to me than covering a lot of tonal range (I really prefer the feel, comfort and playability of a good Strat).

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by GretschGuy

I think the price for that SG is a little high. How much are those new?

Not sure about the other stuff.

They're $650 new from MF (w/ gig bag), but I've seen stock used ones go for $600 on Ebay. Mine has a HSC and better pickups. Mine is also the more desirable older version with the ebony board and better overal construction.

I said approx. $650...so that means anywhere from $600-650. You have to remember that people pay almost new prices on Ebay for used stuff.

The stock Pro Tone strats without cases seem to go for up to around $300 these days. Mine comes with upgrades and a Fender HSC.

I'm just not sure on the Rincon and $250 seemed pretty decent.

• Members

Do it you will be very happy with one great guitar im doing the same thing now whats the point of haveing them if there not a great guitar and you settle?

Im looking at a fender hardtail with the s-1 switching so you can get a ton of sounds.

Intonation tuning playabilty should be there for you to progress and play what you want to why fight a guiatar that doesnt do that for you?

• Members

Keep em.

It looks like you can cover alot of sonic ground now. Get a cheapy with a P-90. That will get rid of the GAS and give you new tones to explore for a while. (I did this with a Epi LP double cut single P-90/Cherry) Cost me $120 shipped, and it's now one of my fave guitars. Sounds amazing dry thru my Marshalls Crunch channel.

It also looks like youv'e already got good PU's etc.... how about having you git's all set up specifically for you?

My tech watches me play each git before she sets them up so she can know how hard or soft I play any one git...

i.e. the Charvel is set up low and fast, the Strat is way higher action, different PU height, etc...

• Members

Keep what you have and save your money for your "dream" guitar. Delay your gratification. That gives you more time to decide just which one you really want. You can always sell what you have.

You need a sc & a hum. guitar (everybody does) and you already have it. All you need now is an acoustic.

• Members

I was thinking something on the same lines in a post I have made today.

But mine was I should be concentrating more on my playing.

I have now realised (from the guys) guitar collecting is a hobby all on its own and you can keep them seperate you already have a genuine gibson I dont know much about the model but why not just upgrade the stuff on your cheaper guitars and maybe try and save up for that dream one.

Soon I think I will start putting a few quid, bucks away for my dream guitar but I just dont know what it is yet

• Members

Originally posted by ConcreteVampire

Keep em.

It looks like you can cover alot of sonic ground now. Get a cheapy with a P-90. That will get rid of the GAS and give you new tones to explore for a while. (I did this with a Epi LP double cut single P-90/Cherry) Cost me $120 shipped, and it's now one of my fave guitars. Sounds amazing dry thru my Marshalls Crunch channel.

It also looks like youv'e already got good PU's etc.... how about having you git's all set up specifically for you?

My tech watches me play each git before she sets them up so she can know how hard or soft I play any one git...

i.e. the Charvel is set up low and fast, the Strat is way higher action, different PU height, etc...

Honestly, I'm not that concerned about covering sonic ground. I really don't play out often, so I don't need to cover a lot ground necessarily.

Keep what you have and save your money for your "dream" guitar. Delay your gratification. That gives you more time to decide just which one you really want. You can always sell what you have.

I can't afford to save up for a guitar. It'd take me years to even come close without selling a bunch of my stuff. After moving into an apartment this summer, I'm just hoping to wrangle up enough money to survive.

I'm also trying to get away from owning a bunch of guitars. I'd rather be a player than a collector.

I have now realised (from the guys) guitar collecting is a hobby all on its own and you can keep them seperate you already have a genuine gibson I dont know much about the model but why not just upgrade the stuff on your cheaper guitars and maybe try and save up for that dream one.

I've realized the same thing. It seems that the folks here that own several guitars and are constantly buying/selling/trading are just as much collectors as players (if not more so). That's something that I'm trying to get away from and I think just owning one guitar, a few pedals, and an amp or two will get me in the right direction.

The guitars I have now are fine guitars and really don't need any upgrading (that can be done) in my opinion. I just feel that I'd be getting more constructive playing in if I weren't so focused on getting different tones and dividing my attention between several guitars. Like I said, it'd be nice to save up for a guitar, but it'd be years and years in the future. I won't be able to buy a nice guitar until after I finish college and then grad school...then I'll be paying loans, etc. So if I want to get that one great guitar, I'll have to sell what I have now.

• Members

Well, if you don't feel any special bond with any of your current axes then you might as well jump.

As long as you keep one. :)

I just look back at some of the guitars that I got rid of and kick myself.

And the GAS/minimalism cycle comes and goes.

I'd need at least two. What if one has to go in the shop? :eek:

• Members

I can relate....I've "had" to sell a lot of guitars in the past, 'cause I wanted something else, and couldn't afford both....

So I say, do what'll tickle you. If one of your axes were a collectible or held some high sentimental value, I'd say keep. But if you just want to move those other guitars out and get in one "super" guit, I say do it, and do it now.

Guitar playing is all about what makes you happy. And you're better off focusing on that than what anyone else thinks of your decisions.

Just my .02

• Members

Sounds like you've already decided. Me, now knowing what I know about life I'd wait until college & grad school are out of the way. Once you've settled into a rewarding career and those degrees are producing income, you can buy the guitar(s) you really want while still having the ones you've grown up on.

But again, you've already decided in your heart, so buy the 50th anniversary strat...nice range of tones, and a guitar that will appreciate in value at a higher rate than the stock market.

~Blackbelt

• Members

I'm not positive on what I'm going to do. I'm going to first go down to the guitar shop and play a bunch. If one speaks to me in a really special way (how to you quantify that anyway? :p), I'll just have them hold it and then sell my guitars and buy it.

The 50th Anniversiary seems like the best option, but it only comes with a maple board. I'll just have to try it.

I just need to get out of this GAS cycle and I think this could be a step in the right direction. I just need to focus on playing as opposed to collecting and focusing on getting different tones.

Perhaps I'll get down to the store in the next few days. Maybe I'll get over this in the next few days.

I just wanted to know what you guys thought. Anyone else go through something similar?

Any other thoughts on guitars in the $1200 price range? It has to be something that Daves has or could get...which is basically everything except new Gibsons.

• Members

Two guitars I have that give great Strat and humbucking guitars are a G&L Legacy special and an American Deluxe Fat Strat FMT.

They both dish up excellent traditional Strat sounds and great classic humbucker sounds as well. I don't think I could say which I prefer.

• Members

They're just tools. Personally I'd rather have many guitars with different sounds than one guitar no matter what the sound. The quality of guitars in the 300 dollar range make this strategy a lot of sense. The difference in actual sound between a 1,000.00 guitar and a 300 dollar one is so subtle that it doesn't justify denying yourself all those different sounds you could have.

• Members

Originally posted by GretschGuy

Usually people pay less for modded guitars. I understand yu upgraded the pickups in that SG, but I'll bet a stock one in great shape would bring more.

I think it depends on how it was modded. If it's modded to something radically different it brings less. Such as if you stick a bunch of Hot Rails or something in a Strat, you'll get less because most people shopping for a Strat are looking for the traditional tone. The same as if you were to stick some EMGs or P-90's in an SG. But the pickups in mine are basically better versions of what is already in there. I don't think they'll raise the eBay value very much, but they shouldn't drop the value.

When I had half of what I have now (10 years ago), Timm Kummer told me to sell everything to fund a 1958 Gibson Les Paul and a 1955 Fender Strat.

Yeah, but most, if not all, of your guitars are very nice guitars. I'm trying to decide on whether a few low-mid range guitars are better than one high end guitar.

They're just tools. Personally I'd rather have many guitars with different sounds than one guitar no matter what the sound. The quality of guitars in the 300 dollar range make this strategy a lot of sense. The difference in actual sound between a 1,000.00 guitar and a 300 dollar one is so subtle that it doesn't justify denying yourself all those different sounds you could have.

I'm honestly not interested in being able to cover 100 different tones with a bunch of guitars. I'd much rather focus on my playing than getting tons of tones. I remember getting a whole hell of a lot more constructive playing done when I only had one guitar. I really just want to stop thinking about tone and gear and get back to what's really important--playing. I think only having one guitar will help me focus on that.

• Members

Not trying to offend (but it happens a lot), but if you really want to concentrate on playing, you have what you need. Just log off the computer and practice all these hours a day.

One really nice guitar ain't gonna improve your playing one bit.

If you want to get the best price for modded guitars, you have to include all the original parts that were replaced with the guitar, as well as documentation showing the mods are reversible, or at least hidden.

If it was me, I wouldn't be worrying about it. I think it's just more GAS. And I do agree you are being awfully hopeful on what you can get for this gear, but then again, I did see a bolt on Epi SG Special TV sell for $450 on ebay, so ya never know. ;)

edit: oops - $320, my mistake

• Members

Id keep the SG, sell the other suff and look for a used strat. That way you will have the humbucker and single coil sounds covered (also the different scale lengths). You mightnt think it now but you will miss the feel of the gibson.

Also dont limit yourself to fender, g&l do some great strat guitars. The deluxe fenders are nice, but not worth the extra above the standards IMO.

Archived