"Made in USA" How do you feel?

gibson185

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It means jack{censored}.

My CIJ Fender 62 RI telecaster is SUCH A BETTER GUITAR than my Am Std. strat that it's not even funny.

I play so many new American Fenders and half of them are terrible. I've never played a single bad Japanese Fender, no wonder they won't allow them in the domestic US market. No one in their right mind would buy a MIA!

I'm gonna chop my Am Std. in soon enough. It's a lifeless guitar, hardly resonates, horrible swimming pool route, sucky pickups and now the neck laquer is coming off.

• Members

I try to buy American if, and when, I can, but 300% or more money for 20% or 30% more quality doesn't add up at all. If the USA made guitars were $100.00 more or even $300 more I would consider it, but a couple thousand dollars more is just too much, for me at least.

• Members

Depends on the brand. If it's production line Gibsons or Fenders then I give thumbs down, if it's custom shop stuff from the aforementioned brands or one of the various smaller brands then thumbs up.

In any case, I only play Asian guitars since they have less of a name-brand premium and above all are more affordable in this part of the world. Most US made guitars cost as much as a custom made guitar by a domestic luthier and with the local luthier I can pick every detail and be sure that the materials are the best available. So for me most US made guitars are simply more money.

Out of production line guitars my favorites have to be Japanese ones for price-quality ratio. Most of my guitars are Korean though and I like them too, most of them come from small unknown brands instead of lower lines from big manufacturers.

I'm not too picky about the country though and prefer judging a guitar based on it's own merits and obviously how the price relates to that.

• Members

Made in USA means very little to me at this point. Id like to keep my dollars in the USA because i belive in my country's capacity for industry and i want to keep jobs in America. But its getting extremely difficult to do that when a $400 Korean guitar is a better instument overall when compared to a $2000 US model.

In this age of CNC routers and companies that know enought to have EMG, Seymour Duncan, Tonepros and/or Floyd Rose as oem equipment it really doesnt matter anymore where the guitar you play is made. So long as the person who makes it is competent and the company makes the effort to produce only quality instruments. Thats where i think certain US companies really fall short of the mark.

Slightly OT, but it illustrates my point, Japan and Korea are the world leaders in CNC equipment design and manufacturing and have thouroughly decimated the US CNC machine industry. If they can build machined that can cut withing .00001 of an inch better than we can, they can probably kick our butts in building guitars.

• Members

Made in the us means nothing to me. May I'm just a dumb 15 year old, but I buy what I can afford. If I can afford to buy an american made guitar then I will, but only if that guitar is better than anything else in its price range including imports. I dont own any american made guitars.

• Members

Originally posted by sultan417

Made in USA means very little to me at this point. Id like to keep my dollars in the USA because i belive in my country's capacity for industry and i want to keep jobs in America. But its getting extremely difficult to do that when a $400 Korean guitar is a better instument overall when compared to a $2000 US model.

In this age of CNC routers and companies that know enought to have EMG, Seymour Duncan, Tonepros and/or Floyd Rose as oem equipment it really doesnt matter anymore where the guitar you play is made. So long as the person who makes it is competent and the company makes the effort to produce only quality instruments. Thats where i think certain US companies really fall short of the mark.

Slightly OT, but it illustrates my point, Japan and Korea are the world leaders in CNC equipment design and manufacturing and have thouroughly decimated the US CNC machine industry. If they can build machined that can cut withing .00001 of an inch better than we can, they can probably kick our butts in building guitars.

Everything the Japanese build whether it be cars, motorbikes or guitars is pretty much flawlessly constructed. I can't get over how good my CIJ Fender is, it's scary. I'm about to order a CIJ 54 Strat reissue for about

• Members

what japanese imports are better than americans for price? Ibanez are so damn expensive now it makes absolutely no sense to buy one (personal opinion, dont fire away). On the other hand, top of the line jacksons are also too expensive. If you want a moder shredding machine what are my options?

• Members
Originally posted by sevensinner

Errr... my "Japanese" car was Made in the USA...
:p

I need to check mine. Just got a Civic. My first one ('92) was built in Canada, I think. Great cars, no matter who made 'em.

I like the Swedish cars a lot, too. And Hagstroms are kinda cool.

• Members

Originally posted by gibson185

Today, many guitars from Japan, Korea, even China are made very well, many as good as the American made ones. So what does that "Made in USA" mean to you? Still better quality or just more money?

For the ones I have owned, I would say better quality.

• Members

Originally posted by Pott

Made in USA is NOT a mark of quality. It merely says that there is more chances that this thing is good than if it were made in China.

Wait, so if a Made in the USA means you are less likely to get a sucky guitar, that IS about quality.

Originally posted by JonathanD

exactly.

Go on a factory tour. Tell me who you see making those guitars.

Let me check... yup The USA.

My PRS was indeed made in the USA.

• Members

I buy the best bang for buck I can, and if I get a lot of money one day, I'll have my guitars custom built by anyone, white, yellow, black, red, or green as long as they are good.

But for those of you who say "Made in USA" = more quality, why do you think that?

Do you think the wood is somehow better?
Do you think the electronics are made better?
Do you think the machines that do the work are better?
If hand made, do you think americans do better work than people living in other nations?

Just kinda curious, since its not really that cut and dry, I mean, a lot of mexicans work in america and make those guitars... parts made in Japan or China are put together by those same Mexicans on American soil.... and so on.... but if you do think it has more quality, please explain why you think so. Personally I would support buying American to support your kin, thats a much more tangible reason than saying it has more "quality".

Archived