M-Audio Flying Cow?

• Members

so the M-Audio Flying Cow AD/DA.. how is this thing? hows it sound? any advantage to this entry level ad/da over a soundcard in the same price range?

ok here's my situation.. a guitarist friend of mine wants to upgrade his little project studio.. right now he has a unbalanced m-audio audiophile 2496.. so i would like to know if he would be better off getting the flying cow, or just get a new interface in the same price range? i'm thinking lynxone.. really nice a/d d/a's..

i've never used/heard the COW.

• Members

The Flying Cow is very old technology. Remember Twister (the movie with the flying cow)? It's about that old. The noise specs on these are embarrasing - totally out of line with the marketing blurb from that time.

If you want standalone converters, Lucid are nice and not as expensive as Apogee.

But current soundcards, like the Audiophile 192 and others are better than the Flying Cow.

The Kurzweil Rumour is a single space rackmount reverb / effects processor. I'm not sure if it has the ability to bypass processing and pass stereo line level signals through it (and out via the S/PDIF port), but it IS a nice, affordable verb unit. And if it can do that, you could just feed the S/PDIF out from it into the Audiophile's S/PDIF input.

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

The Kurzweil Rumour is a single space rackmount reverb / effects processor. I'm not sure if it has the ability to bypass processing and pass stereo line level signals through it (and out via the S/PDIF port), but it IS a nice, affordable verb unit. And if it can do that, you could just feed the S/PDIF out from it into the Audiophile's S/PDIF input.

Yes it can do that. It has FX and EQ after FX and you can bypass both or any of them.

I have read all over the net that it has wonderful a/d/a converters, and some people say they are worth just for the converters. I dont know, any way its an option.

• Members

I own the Rumour, and indeed it is excellent both for the reverbs and A/D/A (esp. when you can get it for $500 new). Definitely a step up from the Audiophile.

Only thing people should know about: it is not a full duplex box (you can't use the A/D and D/A at one time- if you're using the analog ins, the same output is on both the analog out and digital out, and the same is true for the digital). It's not a huge deal, since you have other outs on your Audiophile, but sometimes it can be a pain.

(For reference, I have also owned the Flying Cow and a Delta66).

Archived