Omni Mic

Close mic technique with omni mics has its place... one significant advantage is that omni mics do not suffer from proximity effect when placed really close in to the sound source. That can be useful sometimes.

Having said that, I primarily use omnis for room mics and for group vocals, where I have several people around a single mic. They're also good for large ensemble recordings (spaced pair stereo). But I do occasionally use omni capsule sm dia. condensers for various things. But unless you are running them "up close", you'd better have a good sounding room, because you're going to hear it when you use omni mics. :)

• Members

You guys are using your large diaphram mics is the omni position. I would guess that the groove tubes model 6tm does not do omni well. I have tried it as room mic in omni and it didn't do anything for me. But it is a good vocal mic in the cardiod postion. I found the 635A's have a good sound for acoustic guitar. The Ecm 8000's sound good on drums in a overhead application, but for acoustic guitar they pick up lots of string noise.

Thanks for the replies

Tim

• Members

Originally posted by Tim Mayock

You guys are using your large diaphram mics is the omni position. I would guess that the groove tubes model 6tm does not do omni well. I have tried it as room mic in omni and it didn't do anything for me. But it is a good vocal mic in the cardiod postion.

A lot of whether it sounds good is a matter of how good your room sounds, your personal preference, how it blends with the song, and other issues.

I frequently, although not always, use the cardioid position on my Lawson LDC for vocals. But sometimes, there's just something utterly cool about recording in omni. Also, since my mic has an infinitely variable polar pattern (not discrete choices), I will often move the polar pattern around until it sounds really great for the song. Often, this is a very wide cardioid pattern.

Good luck with your recordings!

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Close mic technique with omni mics has its place... one significant advantage is that omni mics do not suffer from proximity effect when placed really close in to the sound source. That can be useful sometimes.

Phil, what applications have you used an omni for when close-micing? Just curious. This is one area I haven't explored very much.

BTW, the only thing that I've been somewhat satisfied with so far is doing this with an outside kick drum mic on one particular session. For some reason, it just sounded really great for that recording, but for others, not so much.

Archived