Thinking about getting an M-Box?

• Members

i love mine.. it's my home interface.. i spend more time at home with reproduction, getting ready for final mixes, making soft synth patches, even making full on music arrangements then i do at my project studio these days.. i really push the M-box, and it's been great.. the pres/DI's ares great for onboards. no need for a little mixer with this box.. My computer is my main home entertainment center. i run the spdif out into a receiver..

pro's. what i have listed, and you get protools LE.

i only have 2 cons.

no ac3 out the spdif, i have to use my onboard optical for that, and dosent like samplerate changes. have to sometimes unplug the thing when switching samplerates other then from with in protools..

I noticed that too Where... thanks for posting it. :cool:

MY question is this: Usually when the price of a Digidesign interface drops, it indicates that said interface's days MIGHT be numbered and that they're "blowing them out" in preparation for the next / replacement product in the line... I don't know if that's what's happening in this case. It might just be a price adjustment on Digidesign's part to keep the MBox the lowest price, entry level PT LE product compared to the M-Audio / PT MP stuff... but then again, maybe not. I honestly don't know either way.

But it should mean lower EBay prices on MBoxes... so if I can pick up an MBox for $200 on Ebay, I might just have to snag one for my wife and get her computer set up so she can start doing some recording! :D

• Members

Thats what I was thinking also Phil.

Of course I bought one about a month ago from a buddy for $300....figgrrzz....

Digi hasn't released anything new in awhile in the semi pro world, so they are definitely due to discontinue something great again to sucker in the ones who are hooked, and of course they'll discontinue upgrade support, so you HAVE to buy somthing new and not necessarily improved...(Yes I am a dsigruntled 001 owner!!!!!!!!!)

• Members

yeah it was $#%!y when they did that to the digi001 users. i'm not one myself but i would be pissed... but then again i bought an M-box and a M-powered setup knowing this. there marketing team knows what they are doing. :rolleyes:

Like at work we've been upgrading are none upgradeable MIX systems to HD. Same deal the mix system still worked fine but they are stuck in time with there feature set..

You could do the same thing with the Digidesign hardware and the ASIO drivers... but then again, once ANY product is discontinued, you can expect driver support to dry up - which means that I'd seriously doubt there will be drivers for the next Windows or Apple OS for the 001.

But in fairness, no company can support a high-tech product indefinitely. If you get 4-5 years of support from product introduction to it being discontinued (as was the case with the 001), IMO, you're doing pretty darned well.

Archived