Which locking tuners?

slapnutz

• Members

Originally posted by flames

I would find some schallers if you can...sperzels are cool but they lack in mass so they aren't the best when it comes to tone.

Sperzels aren't made out of aluminum for nothing. Less mass in the tuners, the better.

Difficult to install, though. :mad:

• Members

Anything but Sperzels. Don't take me wrong, they're not bad tuners by any means, but the competitors simply offer better ones. The only guitar I own that has locking tuners has Sperzels and they are propably the least accurate tuners on any of my guitars. The higher gear ratio Grover and Gotoh tuners on my other guitars are simply more comfortable to use. The locking thumbscrew on the back of the Sperzels is also not very comfortable for the old digits.

As for string trees, personally I've had better luck with the Graphtech stuff than rollers.

• Members

I've got Sperzel's on my Carvin and Grover's on my Epi DOT. The Sperzel's require a hole drilled in the back of the headstock for a small alignment pin. The Grover's were a drop in replacement on the Epi. The Sperzles have a thumbscrew on the bottom that you tighten to lock the string. If you over tighten you break the string. I've done it to a high E once or twice. They also have smooth action, but a lower gear ratio than the Grover's. The Grover's are heavier, and they stick up about 1/4" ~ 1/2" higher above the headstock than Sperzels. It looks a bit funky. But they have a higher (more fine) tuning ratio than the Sperzels, and the string locks in place wih an internal cam. Never snapped a string on them. All in all I prefer the Grovers.

• Members
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I asked this question to the forum about 6 months ago. I have a Godin SD with a non locking tremelo. The original tuners that were on the guitar were sub-par at best. It wouldn't stay in tune for even a string bend. Here's what I did. I contacted Godin to find the diameter of the existing hole which was 10mm. Low and behold Schaller locking tuners were also 10mm. They were a direct fit (i.e. no alteration). One poster said that the Schallers had a pin like the Sperzel. Mine however didn't?!?

I was looking on the cheap and found them at Warmouth for $8 a tuner. Now the guitar stays in tune better. I can do slight vibrato, but not divebomb work so I'm happy. Anyway check with your manufacturer first then go for it. I say go for the Schaller.

Frank

Archived