Here we go again: Choosing software

• Members

I know you guys are sick of this topic, and it only leads to trouble and arguments ;)

I just moved to a laptop since I study now. I need a new interface and software. Right now it's either a protools LE / M-Powered, or a Cubase SL/SX setup.

Protools LE/M-Powered:

Pros:

Compitable with the Protools Audio/Video studio they're building at school (I study multimedia technology). I don't know how much I get to use this studio. Probably not much the first year at least. I will also work with Avid Express Studio which includes Protools le if I'm not mistaking.

Better bundled plugins? Good to go right out of the box?

Cons:

All the usual protools le cons: 32 track limit, no vst/i support, not as good midi(?) ect...

Cubase SL/SX:

Pros:

Student discount!

I'm already familiar with Cubase.

VST/i support.

Sonar 5 looks nice too. I'm just clueless right now.

I think I'm going with a small interface, since I only play by myself right now. Maybe a m-audio interface since it allows me to go both ways.

So what's your tip?

Thanks! ;)

• Members

I've used them all.. for my home & project studio rigs i have settled down with LE and M-powered after years of being a stienberg & sampltiude user. i used to be anti digidesign do to it's lack of vst support.. but what i think people learn is that vst plugs are a dime a dozen.. like you said the digi plugs are great the 1176, LA3A, and URS eq's are a must for me.. But nevermind the plugs, plugs are plugs protools editing,audio handling, and mixing is just so nice. with most other DAW's you have to find workarounds for atleast one task you need to do...

Protools with ableton live is the perfect combo for all of my needs..

• Members

Originally posted by rhythminmind

I've used them all.. for my home & project studio rigs i have settled down with LE and M-powered after years of being a stienberg & sampltiude user. i used to be anti digidesign do to it's lack of vst support.. but what i think people learn is that vst plugs are a dime a dozen.. like you said the digi plugs are great the 1176, LA3A, and URS eq's are a must for me.. But nevermind the plugs, plugs are plugs protools editing,audio handling, and mixing is just so nice. with most other DAW's you have to find workarounds for atleast one task you need to do...

Protools with ableton live is the perfect combo for all of my needs..

I'm leaning towards a M-Audio FireWire Solo and Pro Tools LE.

Those plugins aren't included right?

• Members

Staying compatible with your school will allow to progress even when you can't get into the lab. Ask anybody who's taken these kinds of classes, that should be your biggest concern.

That said, I personally won't even begin thinking of switching to Pro Tools until they add PDC. Everything else about it is fine but that's a deal breaker for me. Anyway, that's my situation because of the dsp plug-in cards & convolution reverbs I use. I mention it because you're asking for opinions, that doesn't mean I think you should apply this opinion to yourself.

btw, now that M-Audio has the M-Powered thing, I wouldn't be schocked if a student version eventually arrives.

• Members

I use vst and vsti with protools. You just need the converter. I use tons os vst/i's all the time.

32 track count is no big deal especially because alot of instruments i use are via midi. LE supports 256 midi tracks.

Rewire ableton and you have 16 more tracks

Protools not good for midi? It has a few small limitations, but there is nothing i have not been able to do that i wanted to do. Protools is just fine for midi.

Oh yeah and an additional 128 aux inputs

If you need more tracks:

bounce tracks

rewire ableton

use midi

go to a studio that has tdm

or

get cubase sx3 for when you have to go over

• Members

What is PDC? I probably should know what it is:confused: ;)

I think I'm going with M-Powered PT. The 32 track limit probably won't be an issue for me. I will use Rewire for DFH Superior, so that gives me 32 tracks + drums right? Or does Rewire take from the 32 tracks? I hope they are separate tracks with inserts and sends... I'm not sure how the rewire stuff works. Never used it...

Anyway, thanks for the tips guys!:)

• Members

I say get the one with the interface you like best. They are all very good programs, so I think your choice should be about which program you can more easily express yourself in.

As a side note (and a bit of a contrary one, too) I'm a long time Cubase user, and I was able to figure out Protools in about 30 minutes, so it's not hard to switch if you feel like you have to.

• Members

PDC is Plug-in Delay Compensation. All plug-ins have latency (delay) but the dsp cards & convolution plugs (aside from Altiverb) have significantly more than other, so much so that they're completely unuseable in an app that doesn't have PDC unless you jump through hoops to get everything lined up properly. Anyway, hopefully Digidesign will add it by the time you get out of school.

Archived