I hope to open a professional recording studio someday, is it a good or bad idea?

• Members

Hi,

Thanks for taking time and checking out my post. I'm a musician who knows his time for glory is running low on fuel. It's time to look into other avenues and possibilites before it's a little too late to start. Like many musicians I record on my own computer, usually getting very good results (especially when I record my friends since I feel vocally they are more talented). So it's a crazy idea that'll probably cost me a chance of a normal American suburban life (like a nice house, a nice car etc.), but if I someday come across enough cash to open a professional recording studio, should I do it? I know technology is vastly improving, so more and more musicians are recording at home. I have recorded in an expensive studio before, but I was able to get better results at home because there were no time contraints. Or should I aim for the "demo" studio where the cost of equiptment wouldn't be as much, but the chances of people walking through the door are much greater.

Also, I know it probably varies and I'll probably get some not so nice replies for this question, but realistically how much can I expect to shell out for a pro studio, and how much for a demo studio?

Thank you very much everyone.

• Members

Most people will probably tell you to make a studio as good as you can, but use your own space..

example.. open a studio run it as a business but place it in your home.. a basement...

that way your not paying for a building and double bills..

also i wold say plan on working a real job while you build your client list and get your name out...

after that its depends on how good you are.. how good your business sense is.. and how good your marketing is..

it is my goal to do this one day, but i know very well it will be difficult and i can expect to work another job too.... and if your studio doesn;t work out, if you do it properly... you can sell of some of the gear... you'll have a GREAT sounding room and keep the bare gear for yourself

there are many people here who can answer this with experience...

brandon

• Members

The answer to the original question is very easy. NO.

The fact that you had to ask makes this a no-brainer. A music studio is absolutely the WORST investment you could ever make. I would suggest seriously investing in lottory tickets well before investing in a studio, as a money making idea.

A studio is a big money pit into which you throw your spare cash, never to be seen again.

Or you might get lucky. But then again, you might win the lottery.

People build studio's because that is what they are destined to do. They can't do anything else - they are driven, and despite the madness, nobody can stop them. If you don't have this drive, you can't succeed. And even if you do, you probably won't.

But people win the lottery all the time.

• Members

Originally posted by Kiwiburger

The answer to the original question is very easy. NO.

A studio is a big money pit into which you throw your spare cash, never to be seen again.

i think one idea though is to take a more long term approach... start off with some equipment, and over time build your gear up, but always making sure your buying something that will last... that way your not spending something as a big lump sum... if you notice recording is not meant for you, then you can get out of it before your in WAY to deep....and hopefully as your buying the gear your building your drive and love for the art.

Brandon

• Members

If you take this as a long term project, go for it but don't think you're gonna see the good money in a short time because contacts are first needed to be made...then your style has to be good for mixing and all.

It's far from being impossible but it's a project you don't start up on easily.

Good luck though. Should be awesome :)

• Members

Assuming you are 100% committed - this is a more postive spin on things:

In my town, I've seen many studios rise and fall. Few last. Most are in rented buildings, and I can only imagine the desperation and despair of those people during the few months or years that they are in operation.

My approach (and it hasn't been plain sailing either) is to buy a home with enough land to build a studio. That was scarey enough. It means you NEED a good day job. And nothing happened for years. But I decided to play it safe and not take huge financial risks. Both home and studio are freehold now, but there were years where I had 'half a studio' - which is no studio at all.

You can do so much now in your own home. I learned a lot trying to record in houses and even my car. If it's essential that you record loud guitars and drums, consider a portable option where you can go to a rehearsal room or something.

I don't think large commercial studio's are doomed - BUT - home recording is going to get cheaper and easier, so unless you have the skills and reputation to pull the rich punters in (ha ha), it's going to be hard.

But some people manage to get there. Some people win the lottery too.

• Members

From what I've seen, tons of guys want to get into the studio business, and tons of guys have the basic abilities to use the gear, place the mics, listen, mix, and tweak, etc.

But the rare individual is someone with the technical skills combined with a pretty hard-assed business attitude, plus the ability to make people pay you and still think you're a great guy...

In my line of work I see all sorts of people try to start and run their own businesses. One sure way to create a business destined to fail is to target your services to a section of the population who either have no money or if they do have money, don't feel all that obligated to pay their bills if it doesn't suit them at the moment. Unfortunately, many of our brothers and sisters in the music business fit this description.

One axiom of small business is really true - your clientele will, over time, reflect your own values and ways of doing business. If you are, in business terms, honest, fair, friendly, demanding, punctual, and expect to run a high quality shop in a professional matter, then over time your clientele will tend to be people with similar values and your business will show corresponding positive results. If you are sloppy, disorganized, constantly running late to everything, buried in details, and want desperately to be liked, then DON'T think about running your own business.

And if you have a tendency to make up "stories" in order to avoid trouble (ie a tendency to lie) then don't run your own business. The stress will turn what is a tendency into a habit and you will reap only disaster and lawsuits.

dos centavos de mi

nat whilk ii

• Members

Just make sure your eyes are open before you jump ;)

Being realistic - the musicians making the hits and the big money are about as rare as lottery winners. And those lucky artists are scared {censored}less about the way dowloading is ruining their profitibility. If the vast majority of the planet feel they can get your product for free, you have to shift a helluva lotta units to put bread on your table.

That shouldn't stop you wanting to make music or release albums. Music shouldn't be about money, but unfortunately it is.

Also - I am appalled at the way Education has been privatised into a greedy money making enterprise. Gullible kids are paying a king's ransom to get trained in Audio and Video and whatever else - BUT THERE IS LITTLE OR NO INTENTION OF GETTING THESE KIDS REAL JOBS. The strong and talented will get the few jobs available - the rest will be wrapping hamburgers for years to pay off their student loan.

If you want to have a studio - make your money somewhere else. If you want a business, get into food or insurance or real estate or computers - anything except music.

Of course - there are people who, despite the odds, simply are born to own a studio, come hell or high water. Logic doesn't apply there.

• Members

I love recording; I wouldn't consider anything else as a career. I have the 'madness' indeed, plus I'm a stubborn SOB. :D

It's going to take more than 'logic' to prevent me from having a studio in my future basement! (Specifically, its going to take lots of money -- hey, im working on it.)

• Members

Originally posted by nat whilk II

If you are sloppy, disorganized, constantly running late to everything, buried in details, and want desperately to be liked, then DON'T think about running your own business.

Oh {censored}... what do I do now? Where were you 16 years ago?

• Members

example.. open a studio run it as a business but place it in your home.. a basement...that way your not paying for a building and double bills..

In America, this also allows you take the "home-office" tax deduction allowing you to write off a portion of your mortgage, utilities, security system, etc. This is of course assuming you actually make money off the studio. Claiming the expenses as a business loss (i.e. claiming $3000 in cost of business, read new mixer, and only generating $500 of income) is a quick way to destoy your credit when trying to secure a large loan (home or car)

Again, if you're generating income part of your expenses can be written off as cost of business.

EDIT: BTW, if you earn a major part of your income based on an instrument or device (such as a computer, car, mixer, etc) which is subject to depreciate, there is a way you can write a portion of that off as well. A frind of mine in college was a tuba player and owed taxes because his gigs reported his income but did not withhold, he went to a tax accountant and got the tip.

But the rare individual is someone with the technical skills combined with a pretty hard-assed business attitude, plus the ability to make people pay you and still think you're a great guy...

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner... ;):D

That's very true - to be an engineer requires one set of skills, and to own a business requires a different set of skills. And IMO, BOTH require interpersonal skills and excellent communications capabilities from the people involved if you are going to have a shot at making it all work.

Anyone with a gold card can buy the gear. Knowing when and how to use it is another matter. Running a profitable business is a third and seperate set of skills. Having the personality type that can make people comfortable in the studio, while still being firm enough to "take care of business" is yet another set of skills...

IOW, a lot goes into it, and the right combination of capabilities and skills is not all that common. However, I also agree with Kiwi's post:

People build studio's because that is what they are destined to do. They can't do anything else - they are driven, and despite the madness, nobody can stop them. If you don't have this drive, you can't succeed.

There's a lot of truth to that. It's not a easy business - there's a lot of unreasonable expectations on the part of some people who get into it - "I'm going to be rich! I'm going to work on huge records with famous people and live the rock star life sans the pesky fans! Etc. etc..." And there's a lot of competition - lots of people want the gig, and some of them are very good too. ;) And then there's the home studio revolution... you'll be competing with the guy down the street who has a home rig and thinks HE (or she) can be the next big engineering / producer "thing" and who is practically giving away time... or the people who think they can "do it themselves" at home. You have to be better than they are, and have something to bring to the table that makes people want to work with you - AND PAY YOU FOR IT - that they can't get anywhere else. :)

If you're serious about wanting / needing to do this, then get all the education you can. And not just engineering related stuff! Don't neglect the need for some psych classes (I'm serious!) as well as some business management classes, conflict resolution and communications related courses, etc...

That won't guarantee you'll succeed, but it isn't going to hurt your chances a bit. ;)

Best of luck to you! :)

Archived