what is the purpose of a scalloped nut?

superpoo

• Members

hey dude,

it is just decorative, purely for show. LaXu may consider it a waste of time, but it took 1 hour by badass luthier Taku Sakashta, so i dont regret losing any time spent watching him work at his shop. He hand polished it to a glossy shine, too.

He uses tempered bone, which is much harder than regular bone; i see no real risk of breaking, as with a plastic nut. But that is a non issue since the old nut is still in the case along with a 6L6GC and a pack of strings.

• Members

Weird, I was asking myself the same question just a couple of hours ago.

I wonder if it is purely for show or if it has something to do with the physics of the string to neck vibration transfer. It would seem that more of the vibration would be forced downwards into the neck rather than dissapated laterally ....however I really don't know crap about physics.

• Members

oh, you're good. i like that explanation, but unless you are playing an open string (i rarely do unless i am tuning), there really is not much string vibration at the nut, so...B@#SH%^T!

A nut is merely structural, so why not make it look pretty?

This Benedetto is extremely lightweight and the mape neck gives it most of its heft. Many builders really try to lighten the load up at the headstock or by slimming the neck profile to balance the instrument, but a few shaves of bone at the nut isnt going to do that. Switching from metal tuning keys to ebony ones made a noticeable difference, however. and if you wear a strap, you do not feel the top heavyness at all.

i think most of the mojo of an instrument like this is coming from the soundboard and the tuned maple back.

• Members

Originally posted by WHY_U_TRY

I think it looks pretty cool and Mike checked out your soundclips..nice, smooth playing and the guitar sounds great
:D

thanks very much.

i ended up selling my Eastman after switching to 7-string; i just wasnt playing it enough. My main guitar at the moment is my McKerrihan Custom 7-string. It is outstanding. I am also having another 7-string built to my exact specs by luthier Nelson Palen.

I will never play well enough to deserve these instruments, but i'll just keep trying.

Archived