I'm addicted to Teles.

MattACaster

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by metalcore

Batotman, tell me about the thinline pro. Just how good a guitar is this? It's pretty expensive.

I'm not Batotman, but...

I have purchased two Protone Thinline Teles. Both were obtained a little more than a year ago (before Bat'man and I ran the prices way up with our big mouths here :D ). These are fine guitars, better than any current productiion Squiers that I am aware of. They are beautiful, with attractive ash bodies and transparent finishes, a wood binding, and decent hardware (the gold may be a little over the top). Stock pups are alnico (Bat'man's may be SD's). They set up perfectly and play sweetly. They were considered at least comparable to the MIM Deluxe series, and may be comparable with the MIAs. I have an MIM Classic 50's Tele...my Protone Thinline is at least as good in materials, fit, finish, electronics, and playability and is prettier and fancier. I was so taken with mine that I bought another for my brother for his birthday! Batotman turned me onto these, and I got one for around $300 and the other for $225. Both are in excellent condition. Typical prices are now almost twice that, sometimes more.

• Members

Originally posted by BlackHatHunter

Man, that blue tele is sweet. What are the specs on it?

It's a MIM that I've changed the pickguard, installed a vintage bridge, compensated saddles, ashtray cover, and installed SD Antiquitys. It looks and sounds great.

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

I'm not Batotman, but...

I have purchased two Protone Thinline Teles. Both were obtained a little more than a year ago (before Bat'man and I ran the prices way up with our big mouths here
:D
). These are fine guitars, better than any current productiion Squiers that I am aware of. They are beautiful, with attractive ash bodies and transparent finishes, a wood binding, and decent hardware (the gold may be a little over the top). Stock pups are alnico (Bat'man's may be SD's). They set up perfectly and play sweetly. They were considered at least comparable to the MIM Deluxe series, and may be comparable with the MIAs. I have an MIM Classic 50's Tele...my Protone Thinline is at least as good in materials, fit, finish, electronics, and playability and is prettier and fancier. I was so taken with mine that I bought another for my brother for his birthday! Batotman turned me onto these, and I got one for around $300 and the other for $225. Both are in excellent condition. Typical prices are now almost twice that, sometimes more.

Thanks for the low down, Jerry. I'm jonesin' for an Aerodyne particularly, but the thinline is super sweet. Problem is that I'm in the UK so I'd have to pay import duty and some heavy transport fees on top of that which'd push the price up too high. If I ever see one over here, I'll jump on it. For now, my '62 Custom RI is doing me fine.

• Members

Originally posted by xStonr

It's a MIM that I've changed the pickguard, installed a vintage bridge, compensated saddles, ashtray cover, and installed SD Antiquitys. It looks and sounds great.

You did a great job with it. It's a really cool axe. great pup choice, too. Thanks for sharing the pic and specs.

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

Tell us about them!

The first one is an 01 Fender Relic Nocaster. Killer guitar w/

a very hot bridge pickup (9.88) that bites w/o the icepick tone.

2nd is a reliced replica in Dakota Red w/ a Feb 65 neck. The pickups are Vanzants & scream. This guitar has lots of original vintage parts throughout. (the case is a 64)

3rd is an Esquire replica w/ a Florence Voodoo hot bridge pickup.

Nice chunky neck w/ a slab board.

:) :) :)

• Members

I have been on the hunt for the right tele for almost two years now. I tried a bunch of lower end stuff, but wasn't happy. I tried the AV '52 reissue, but it didn't speak to me the way a 1K+ guitar should. I found an awesome 74/78 sunburst tele. Very worn, pickups are monsterous. No tele I have ever played sounds like this thing. It's exactly what I have been looking for. I owe a couple hundred bucks on it, but should have it in a couple weeks. Anyhow, it has a 74 body and electronics and a 78 neck. The pickups are so open and full. Ready to rock. Not like so many others that sound compressed, glassy, pinched. These had that growl that teles are legendary for. I'm pretty psyched...

• Members

Originally posted by RothnRoll

Are the double bound tele's MIJ?

Where can I get one at?

Sorry Geddins :eek: Come to the dark, double bound side

Metalcore, they're great aren't they? I can't put mine down!

Check ishibashi-- that's where I got mine and it was a perfect transaction.

62teleri0057sj.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by MattACaster

I just bought a Tele a few weeks ago and I already want another one.

telesmall.JPG

Dude,I completely understand. I've only had this one for about two weeks now and I love it ... my first Tele. I'm thinking about saving up for a few more weeks and buying a sick custom neck to slap onto it.

• Members

Originally posted by kwsher

Sorry Geddins
:eek:
Come to the dark, double bound side

Metalcore, they're great aren't they? I can't put mine down!

Check ishibashi-- that's where I got mine and it was a perfect transaction.

62teleri0057sj.jpg

What did you pay if you don't mind me asking? Are those vintage frets?

• Members

Originally posted by RothnRoll

What did you pay if you don't mind me asking? Are those vintage frets?

Sure, it was 74000y (~$650usd) including shipping to Southern California and there were no additional customs fees etc. (included a decent gig bag). Noriko at Ishibashi was very easy to work with, it arrived packaged securely and clearly labeled Fragile and was in perfect condition. Only took 4 days to arrive also!

I would definitely order from them again.

The frets are vintage but are slightly beefier than the vintage style on the MIM Standards I have played-- I'm not a huge fan of vintage frets in general but these are fine for me.

metalcore, I agree on the TXSpecials. Although slightly muddier clean, they still retain the Tele twang and when you get dirty-- that growl is perfect!

• Members

Originally posted by kwsher

Sure, it was 74000y (~$650usd) including shipping to Southern California and there were no additional customs fees etc. (included a decent gig bag). Noriko at Ishibashi was very easy to work with, it arrived packaged securely and clearly labeled Fragile and was in perfect condition. Only took 4 days to arrive also!

Great!

Just wondering... around how much of the 74,000 Yen was shipping? I am looking at prices and wondering..

I bet it was expensive.

I bought the 72 Reissue in White from Ebay but I bet I way overpaid.. looking at these prices..

Archived