All Tube Combo (again)

AunShui

• Members

Hey everyone, I'm still looking for a nice all tube combo amp. The features I want are a decnet weight (part of the reason I'm after an amp like this is because I'm sick of lugging around my half stack), volume which can at minimum stand up to a drummer and a bassist with a hartke half stack, and some decent options/cool features.

At first I liked the look of a the Vox Custom Classic series, but after spending 15 minutes with one at a guitar center I've decided this isnt what I'm looking for. I've heard good things about mesa, marshall, and fender combos. A few people have also mentioned peavy, although I've never been able to try one out.

I'll probably be using an effects processor with this, multiple channels would be pretty cool, as thats less stuff to lug.

Possibilities I've looked into so far:

-MarshallTSL 601

-Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue

-Fender Twin Reverb Reissue

-Mesa F Series (either 30 or 50)

-Mesa rect-o-verb (shying away from because I may be getting a rectifier stack in the near eventually).

Comments/opinions/suggestions are highly welcome!

Oh, and I almos forgot: I intend on using this with either a standard fat strat or a p-90 SG supreme. The styles I want to play include everything from jazz clean to Led Zeppelin and The Who style rock to as close to metal as I can go (again, I have a pedal board, so built in insane distortion is not mandatory at all)

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention: my price is no more than 1k. I'll almost certainly be buying this used.

• Members

I don't think you'll get the jazz cleans you want from the Mesas.

+1 for Twin Reverb RI, this sucker loves pedals so an effects board will do well...

Too bad you don't like the Vox CCs, those are one of my favs because of their cleans.

• Members

Man, get the Mesa f 30 or 50, I know a guy that i play guitar with, who has one, and it is sweet. wonderful jazz cleans all the way to death metal distortion, and he has it like 8 years and not had to change the tubes yet, and the f-30 is like 20 lbs...it feels really light

get it....I want a mesa too, im gassing for one of those and a agile right now.

• Members

Buy a Carvin!!! The xv-112 is a discontinued 100 watt amp that uses EL34. They can be found for less than 500 dollars and have a really good clean sound and distortion perfect for what you want. I have never tried one but the MTS replaced the Xamp and have been told it has a good clean and all the distortion you can handle they can also be found at great deals. Some one had an MTS for sale in the spam thread for 350 but I dont remember if it was a head or combo. I use a Carvin Bel Air that I had modded wich would really fill your bill but with out the mod the soak channell is kind of mid heavey and not much use past 5 on the gain. The Bel Air has a great clean channell though. The mods make it sing beautifully. Look At Carvin some of the best bang for buck Tube amps.

• Members

i would get a twin.

i mean come on, listen to a los lonely boys record.

but if everything is gonna be in one box, id go with the TSL series. or probably the DSL, thats really all you need.

my friend has one, cant go wrong with everything in one box.

• Members

Originally posted by lchyi

Ummm.. John Schofield ;)

What about the lonestar special? I've heard some great things about those.

Other than that I'm obviously giong to recommend a twin reverb (since I own one). Every time I play this thing it just puts a smile on my face. A fantastic amp, but not going cheap second hand.

But..then It comes for the time for me to lugg it back to the car :mad::o:(:D

But I would still get one. my theory is that they are heavy because they have so much tone packed into them :D

Hope that helps,

Tim

• Members

Originally posted by guitaristbum

Man, get the Mesa f 30 or 50, I know a guy that i play guitar with, who has one, and it is sweet. wonderful jazz cleans all the way to death metal distortion, and he has it like 8 years and not had to change the tubes yet, and the f-30 is like 20 lbs...it feels really light

get it....I want a mesa too, im gassing for one of those and a agile right now.

for real? i went to the store specifically to look at one the other day after reading about it at this forum. that sucker was small but heavy as hell. its like they stuck a small person inside of it.

• Members

Originally posted by lchyi

+1 for Twin Reverb RI, this sucker loves pedals so an effects board will do well...

Too bad you don't like the Vox CCs, those are one of my favs because of their cleans.

I use a Mark III and a Studio .22+. The midrange push makes these great amps for jazz. Fenders have such a scooped out sound that you wind up having to peg the mid and cut the highs almost completely. If I were buying another amp tomorrow, it would be the F-30 (Unless I had the cash for a Lone Star.)

• Members

Wow...lots to think about.

I'm really leaning twords the Mesa F 30's and 50's because it souds like they have great volume, light weight, multiple channels, and can be had for between 5 and 8 hundred on the 'bay.

I played a F-30 at guitar center the day I tried out the Vox amps...I only played it for a few minutes but it seemed great. I don't have school tomorrow, so I'll try to get a ride over to guitar center to play it one more time and crank it if they let me, then maybe seal the deal on one on ebay (after seeing if GC can match it, of course).

Just out of curiostiy, I've noticed that no one seems too hyped about the marshalls...why? Are they not that great, or just too heavy/costly?

And which one would you reccommend, the F-30 or the F-50? It sounds like the only difference is in the speaker.

• Members

Originally posted by AunShui

Wow...lots to think about.

I'm really leaning twords the Mesa F 30's and 50's because it souds like they have great volume, light weight, multiple channels, and can be had for between 5 and 8 hundred on the 'bay.

I played a F-30 at guitar center the day I tried out the Vox amps...I only played it for a few minutes but it seemed great. I don't have school tomorrow, so I'll try to get a ride over to guitar center to play it one more time and crank it if they let me, then maybe seal the deal on one on ebay (after seeing if GC can match it, of course).

Just out of curiostiy, I've noticed that no one seems too hyped about the marshalls...why? Are they not that great, or just too heavy/costly?

And which one would you reccommend, the F-30 or the F-50? It sounds like the only difference is in the speaker.

marshall has in the past put out amazing products (obviously).... but a lot of their newer models leave much to be desired(for me at least)... such as a clean channel that isnt brittle, or a nice smooth overdrive.... if you go marshall, go vintage and you wont be dissapointed....

• Members

actualy I like the jcm 800, but the 2000, the dsl, tsl, jcm900 blah blah and all that does nothing for me.......... they got some 80's jcm800 combos you can get for like 400$ used, great deal..... my favourite marshalls are the plexi's, original and reissue, but then again thats a head not a combo

• Members

....And which one would you reccommend, the F-30 or the F-50? It sounds like the only difference is in the speaker.

The F-50 is the higher powered one with 6L6 output tubes. It definitely weighs more. But you can lift either one with one hand. The F-30 has EL84s.

I A/B'd them both a while ago. I liked the F-30 better. But the F-50 is the one that some say has the best cleans Mesa has ever produced.

I think you need one of each. :)

• Members

The Mesa F-30 is killer. Awesome deal. I think it just kills everything in it's price range. I think the cleans sound alot better than anything else for the price. I've seen several jazz dudes playing throught them, and they sounded terrific.

Mostly, it's a pro quality product. I've got some cool amps, that do their thing better than my Mesa, but if I had to pick one (epecially if I were gigging), I'd take my Mesa. The Mesa does it all very well.

I would pound my left nut flat with a five pound sledge for a Lonestar Special.....:D

• Members

Really?! Compared to the marshalls it appears to be light.

Thanks for the replies all. Keep them coming!

i'd rather take a halfstack somewhere than my twin. thats not to say i don't love its tone, its just a bitch to move...

Archived