Today someone asked to play my guitar...

RoboCop00

• Members

So, I just got a new MIA Strat that I've been saving months for. I love it and have only had it for about a week.

The ONLY person I've let play it besides myself is my guitar teacher, who I obviously know pretty well and trust (plus he owns like 9 Strats and respects other peoples instruments)

So today at Jazz band I'm getting my tuner out of my bag with my guitar leaned against a chair right next to me. Out of nowhere, the band's bass player (absolutely annoying kid, puts his bass up to 10, tries to drown out the rest of the rythm section, and REFUSES to play root notes, even for beginning jazz stuff) runs up to me and is about to reach for my guitar. I quickly grab it.

"CAN I PLAY SOMETHING MAN?"

Me: "Uh....no....I uh....don't let other people play my guitars"

"COME ON JUST A SECOND"

Me:"No, I've had people mess with my guitars and mess them up" (Not true, but hey, I wanted to get rid of him)

He just got this pissed off look and walked away. Don't people realize you don't ask to play someone elses guitar if you don't know the person? You especially don't ask if it's obviously a new and expensive guitar. Damn.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

lol I only let one of my friends touch my expensive guitars, the others are only privileged enough to touch the MIK's lol... I am very carefull with my gear, and many people are NOT, and I know if one of them messes up my gibby, they wont have the cash to replace it, so better to just avoid that situation....

oh and a friend one time tried to emulate a tremolo by bending back the neck by pulling back the headstock on my 335.... YOU DONT DO THAT TO AN ANGLED SET NECK GUITAR, or any guitar for that matter:mad:

• Members

I only let a few people I know are careful play my more expensive guitars. Some of the cheaper ones I'm not as picky about, but i hate it when someone that doesn't know how to play picks up a guitar and just starts hitting the strings as hard as they can.

• Members

Originally posted by RoboCop00

So, I just got a new MIA Strat that I've been saving months for. I love it and have only had it for about a week.

The ONLY person I've let play it besides myself is my guitar teacher, who I obviously know pretty well and trust (plus he owns like 9 Strats and respects other peoples instruments)

So today at Jazz band I'm getting my tuner out of my bag with my guitar leaned against a chair right next to me. Out of nowhere, the band's bass player (absolutely annoying kid, puts his bass up to 10, tries to drown out the rest of the rythm section, and REFUSES to play root notes, even for beginning jazz stuff) runs up to me and is about to reach for my guitar. I quickly grab it.

"CAN I PLAY SOMETHING MAN?"

Me: "Uh....no....I uh....don't let other people play my guitars"

"COME ON JUST A SECOND"

Me:"No, I've had people mess with my guitars and mess them up" (Not true, but hey, I wanted to get rid of him)

He just got this pissed off look and walked away. Don't people realize you don't ask to play someone elses guitar if you don't know the person? You especially don't ask if it's obviously a new and expensive guitar. Damn.

People do that {censored} to me all the time. Especially when drunk.

{censored} him. I know a drummer like that, but for him it's electronics, he'll go {censored} around with my amp settings, the board settings, etc.

But I do know what you mean. One of my favorite guitars is a Fender Custom Shop '57 RI I've had for about 17 years. I keep it out on a stand because I use it a lot. But everytime one of my guy friends comes over, it's play time! They strap it on,and all of s sudden it's Jimi/Pete all over again! I get so pissed. I usually take it away and say, you scratch it or otherwise damage it, you just bought it. They think it's a {censored}ing TOY or something.

• Members

originally posted by Tiger Roach

I don't like guys with sweaty hands touching my guitars.

simillar story. i had a couple of friends over one time and i went to the bathroom. i came back into my room and i saw one of my friends eating pizza and playing my acoustic. he got a combination of grease and sweat all over my guitar. then, the worst part, a glob of pizza sauce falls onto the guitar. i was so pissed. i was ready to dropkick his ass. :mad:

• Members

Under CAREFUL supervision I let some people I trusted play my Larrivee OMV-05 (nice orchestra model maple/spruce acoustic). I swear I eagle-eyed the entire event when foreign hands were touching my guitar. Finally, after only a few minutes of people playing it I put it back in my case... didn't really inspect it. I come back later and BAM there's a crack on the back that I didn't realize when I put it back in the case. That's all it took, one corner of a wall or a chair or something and me not looking for about 10 seconds.

Worst of all, no one fessed up to it and these are the people I go to church with, I wasn't happy that day. Good news is that it took $25 to repair and even though it'll never be the same, I have to live with the fact that I was an idiot.

• Members

Guys like that are only interested in feeding their ego. In almost every case it's a "look what I can do" mentality. After 23 years of playing in bands, I still see it happen on a regular basis.

Ironically, if they consider themselves musicians, they should damn well know better than to assume they can just get up and play someone else's instrument. Besides, the best musicians that I've worked with have no desire to pull off a stunt like that and try to show off.

Nowadays, I just shake my head and say "Nah!". No explanations, just "Nah!"

• Members

A friend of mine was coming to Europe from Canada for a tour in France when I still lived on the other side of the pond. He's pretty good and is certainly careful but he wanted to borrow one of my hand made acoustics (an insanely expensive guitar as it is). I said no based on the fact that, on the road, anything can happen. I trust him but the risk was too much for me. He was really pissed off! (But we are still friends).

• Members

I got a good friend who's a pretty good guitar player and has a few good acoustic guitars (collings, martin...) of his own, but he's got sweaty hands. This guy is pretty much stuck with coated strings because his sweat kicks the crap out of the strings.

yeah, I get pretty annoyed if he plays my guitars. He's a great guy, but his sweat takes all the tone out of the strings and leaves a nasty film on my guitar. Then there's him pickng up my bass...you know how much bass strings cost to replace?

• Members

If you don't want anyone to play it, keep it strapped on you or in your lap.

It's not illegal to ask. It' your choice to give permission.

"If" the person makes a disparaging comment as to your ultimate decision, or mutters under his breath whil walking away, carefully unplug and gently place your guitar in it's case, close the case gently.

Approach the person and punch him in his {censored}ing throat.

Return to your guitar, and set back up.

Make sure you tune up.

Everytime.

:o

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

oh and a friend one time tried to emulate a tremolo by bending back the neck by pulling back the headstock on my 335.... YOU DONT DO THAT TO AN ANGLED SET NECK GUITAR, or any guitar for that matter:mad:

That's a situation that calls for this:

taurpicm444ss6.jpg

:mad:

• Members

One of my friends takes horrible care of practically everything he owns. He plays bass, and when I look at that thing I cringe. Hes never, not once, used any type of polish or cleaner on it. Hes had it for about 2 years now and its his only bass at the moment. Its not even glossy anymore. Well, about a month ago he came over, and like usual picks up my Sg Classic by the headstock and tosses it up and catches it by the neck. Well i make him put it back on the stand, and start bitching at him w/o inspecting it before letting him leave. Well the next day I wake up to find that he put a fairly deep chip in the finish. I literally screamed. Now he wont fess up to it, and I know it was him because I hadnt played the rest of the day, and im extremely careful with it. And hes still stupid enough to ask me if he can play it.

• Members

Originally posted by lchyi

Under CAREFUL supervision I let some people I trusted play my Larrivee OMV-05 (nice orchestra model maple/spruce acoustic). I swear I eagle-eyed the entire event when foreign hands were touching my guitar. Finally, after only a few minutes of people playing it I put it back in my case... didn't really inspect it. I come back later and BAM there's a crack on the back that I didn't realize when I put it back in the case. That's all it took, one corner of a wall or a chair or something and me not looking for about 10 seconds.

Worst of all, no one fessed up to it and these are the people I go to church with, I wasn't happy that day. Good news is that it took $25 to repair and even though it'll never be the same, I have to live with the fact that I was an idiot.

damn. thats terrible man.

i feel angry just reading that.

• Members

+1000 to pretty much everything said here.

Robocop, I feel your pain. 2 instances come to mind:

1. In marching band, the bassist (also plays guitar) just assumes he can play my guitar without asking. I think a beating is called for next time he does that.

2. An incredibly arrogant and bitchey bassist that I know borrowed my SG over the weekend. No respect for it at all; he leaned it against the wall the wrong way (with the strings facing outward and the headstock taking alot of weight), plus its gross and smudgy and needs new strings.

Never again will he play my instrument (same kid who tries to crack my case combination to play my guitar with out asking)

I think heads will roll the next time someone {censored}s with one of my instruments.

Archived