UA desktop models

• Members

These are supposed to be released soon, and from what I gather, Sam Ash is the first to have them, maybe. I am very interested in the solo 610, number one, because the sound, obviously, number two, because of the desktop approach in the design.

I have a Langevin DVC, and a Hardy M-1 2 channel pre. With the Furman, and the comp, my rack is full, and I DONT want to start another rack, due to pain in routing, and space. Moving this around and setting it in temporary places while tracking, seems like a good virtue in design.

These arent going to drop from 799, for at least a year, obviously.

I would like to have a full voltage tube pre, for an option with the LDC's (maybe even SDC's) I have. I thought a while about the brick, but it has almost no control options for mics only, and the 610 does. The brick seems better suited for slave/direct stuff.

The "new" price is getting close to the used price of some of the other UA rack pres. I really dont want to pay close to the same, for the convenience of the "shoebox".....

Anyone else contemplating this pre??:freak:

Sure, I'm interested in hearing them... and I have been auditioning a Brick lately... and IMO, the UA's are going to have to be pretty hot to compete. I'm not saying they won't be, but until I hear them, I won't know for certain.

But I CAN say that the Brick IS a high voltage tube design, and IMO it DOES work very well as a DI - on bass guitar, it's spectacular. :cool::thu: And it also sounds extremely good as a mic pre, although it does lack a pad, a HPF or any EQ. I can usually get around all of those things with controls on the board or the mic, so those don't really bother me too much... but the kicker is the price... at $399 "street", the Brick is considerably less expensive than the UA stuff. Is the extra cost of the new UA preamps justified by a corresponding increase in sound quality? Only a side by side listening test can answer that "personal preference" question for you. :)

• Members

Thats true Phil, and there is a mint used M610 on ebay now, BIN for 789...unless its gone, Ive been at work.

The street for the M610 is only 990 new. That seems a little close to the 799 for the solo 610.

The brick seems more enticing now......whats the noise like Phil?

Would it be noticeable in an intimate mix?

So far, noise has never been an issue. I've stacked BGV's through it, recorded a lot of bass direct, done some guitar parts with it, etc etc, and I've never noticed a noise issue. The GT published noise spec isn't the best I've ever seen, but specs are always secondary to what my ears tell me, and my ears are not screaming about hiss or noise when using a Brick, so I don't worry about it. :)

• Members

Yeah Zooey,

That entry conjured a big buzz when it came out, I dont know anyone online or local that has one, or has heard it though..... cant count it out because of that, but taint gonna buy it to hear it, if it may get flipped!

Its interesting though, sometimes companies will do thorough R &D on a something, and have a great product. But the promotion may be terrible. That may be the case with this one.

Archived