Mixing drums, lining tracks up.

• Members

I don't.

I don't understand this whole philosophy about lining up drum tracks as a routine practice since this is one of the ways in which one can impart a sense of space with the drums.

Yes, I understand the value when something needs "fixing", but not as a routine practice.

• Members

I think lining drum tracks up goes back to the old school days of positioning mic's with a tape measure. Moving tracks digitally sort of accomplishes a similar effect, and can make them more punchy.

But with digital, transient peaks are the enemy. If you line everything up, you maximise these peaks. Then you have a problem you need to fix with saturation or limiting or something. I like the theory of letting the peaks smear a bit naturally, and if you do shift tracks, do it for character sound and not visually lining everything up for theoretical perfection.

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

Obviously proper placement is crutial when tracking.

Yes, absolutely. It's only when something happens, like one of the mics gets knocked out of place or there is some bizarre mistake made that I ever time-align...I think I may have done this only once ever on drums.

I always hear people on the internet saying that they are time-aligning drums and never really understand why they want to do this. The beauty of the sound is in the depth and sense of space.

I've been known to pull out a tape measure to get my overheads and room mics equidistant from the center of the snare drum or whatever, but I really don't "align" drum tracks in the DAW. Especially when it comes to room mics and overheads, it's the difference in arrival times at the various mics that gives you the sense of size and space. Of course, you DO need to be concerned about phase issues when tracking, but that is a different subject / issue. :)

Archived