What's the best gear decision you've made?

AtomHeartMother

• Members

Propably buying a Yamaha DG80 1x12 combo years ago. I still think it's a nice amp and I've had it for longer than any other amp. Serves as a great cab too.

Starting to use smaller tube amps with good master volumes has been good to me too. I used to crank a 50W Marshall JCM2000 through a 1x12 and attenuator and it was still way loud and would've caused hearing damage in the long run.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Brian Krashpad

Objection, the question assumes facts not in evidence!

The unstated premise of your question is that a practice amp is the same thing as a bedroom amp.

I wish I had time to just sit down and practice at home playing to records or doing excercise pieces or whatever bedroom players do, but the fact is that my practices are all band practices.

So for me a practice amp is the same as a gigging amp. All of my tube amps are in the approximate 40-50W range.

Most recent good gear decision, to answer the thread's question, was this LP for $750:

LPClassicSmaller023_20A.jpg

BK

I meant for bedroom practice, which is why I said "for bedroom stuff." I'd imagine that you'd need a gigging amp for band practice since you're competing with a drummer and other musicians. You're also probably playing in a larger room, which allows you to play louder without causing damage that would happen in a smaller room.

There are just some bedroom players (*cough* Bato *cough*) that are playing into a high wattage amps (and probably crank them to top it off). I used to do that; now I'm glad that I don't. I live in an apartment now, anyway, so I couldn't even if I wanted to.

• Members

Buying a Boss TU-2. Being able to have an inline tuner to get quickly in tune is the best thing I could have done for my playing. I've had the pedal for about 4 years and its still the best gear decision I've made.

I remember in high school/college playing in bands where no one had a tuner. Tuning 2-3 guitars and a bass to one other guitar just didn't quite get is perfectly in tune. Playing slightly out of tune is worse for my tone than any other single thing.

• Members

My best decision was buying an LP Studio when I had gone out Strat Shopping. It just felt better and the price was right. That was 9 yrs ago. I bought a strat later which I sold after a couple years. Also the Korg Triton synth in '99, it was new and expensive but I still play it all the time and there is no reason to upgrade to this day.

• Members

I've had many very good ones lately, but the best would probably be my 66 Bandmaster, OTD for 500 even, had just had new cap job and tubes, been a standard go-to for me to test other stuff out. Love it when I'm playing in a band situation, right on that edge of OD with either my Tele or Explorer. Great responsiveness.

My 76 Vibrochamp on ebay for 225 shipped wasn't bad either, gets me that tone at bedroom volumes.

• Members

The best decision I ever made was to buy a Boss Jamstation. It took my playing to another level very quickly. I eventually got bored with it, and made my next-best decision, and that was to buy a Roland Loop Station. It has taken my playing to yet another level. I still suck, but not as badly as before those purchases.

• Members

Originally posted by LPSlinger

Buying a Boss TU-2. Being able to have an inline tuner to get quickly in tune is the best thing I could have done for my playing. I've had the pedal for about 4 years and its still the best gear decision I've made.

I remember in high school/college playing in bands where no one had a tuner. Tuning 2-3 guitars and a bass to one other guitar just didn't quite get is perfectly in tune. Playing slightly out of tune is worse for my tone than any other single thing.

So true. The TU-2 is a life-saver on stage!

• Members

As a beginner, buying a digitech rp300 for $200 to get a lot of different effects and presets instead of paying $200 for 2 or 3 pedals. Most of the artist presets suck and don't get used, but some of the others are good and easy. There is a SOLO preset with perfect delay and tone I use a lot and RECTIFY for my distortion. It is definitely better than the distortion and presets on the amp in my sig.

• Members

The best decision was, to buy never again an electric guitar, that was not built in the USA and has not written Fender or Gibson on it's headstock.

The second best decision was buying my Steavens Poundcake.

The third best decision was to get rid of that f*****g 19" Pre Amp/Power Amp {censored}. :D

• Members

buying my danelectro convertible in '99 and putting 12s on it.

its a {censored} electric, and a {censored} acoustic all at the same time. but i played the piss outta that thing, and it has never once let me down.

i have much better guitars, but i really learned about articulation, phrasing, and finding your own voice on that guitar.

• Members

Roland Micro Cube - my favorite piece of gear ever. Great practice/travelportbale/outdoor amp.

Lace California Twister. Got it cheap ($275) since the previous owner had swapped out the pickups for Seynour Duncans. I was willing to swap the pickups at that price, but liked them fine. Gets as much playing time as any guitar I own.

• Members

Best gear decision was to sell a bunch of imported, mid-priced guitars that got very little playing time. I also dumped some old amps. Now I have more than $2,500 in cash to invest in something that will get used.

No more impulse buying for me.

Archived