Holiday gifts for audio nerds

• Members

It's officially started here in my family - my mom wants to know what I want for Xmas. They always seem to have a hard time getting me gifts and they like plenty of lead time. So I thought maybe I should ask for something recording related.

My parents are moderately internet fluent, so they can order something, but anything like ebay is too difficult. Like, I can send them a link to a product at an online store and they can click it and click "buy". So....

Rule #1) It has to be something that can be ordered from the internet and it can't be used or something you have to bid on or anything else complicated.

Rule #2) Our family is more about the "thought" than the money when it comes to gifts. Anything over $100 is complete overkill.

PLEASE HELP ME WITH SOME SUGGESTIONS!

Rule #2) Our family is more about the "thought" than the money when it comes to gifts. Anything over $100 is complete overkill.

I guess that leaves out the parts for a new DAW computer and the API 3124+ I had my eye on... ;):D

Great thread topic! However, I gotta run... so I'll post some suggestions later. :)

• Members

Rule # 2 is hard for me to keep in the audio world.

Its just a bit more,..but ALL I want is Charles Dye's 'Mix it like a Record' DVD.

Under $100....

Sennheiser e609 (ok...tax puts it over...but thats the closest I can get)

:)

-LIMiT

• Members

Ok, here's hip little lo fi recording package assuming you have a computer with at least a line in on your stock soundcard:

Front End

Compression

EQ

Reverb

The most essential piece of any studio

I think it came to around $85 (w/o shipping) which would leave you a little room for the cables and maybe a $5-10 walkman in case the "frontend" doesn't have some sort of output.

------------------------------------------------

Or.......if you're no fun and want a more serious gift maybe one of those Blue Ball Mics or if you don't have any recording equipment and you can swing $140 You could get the Snow Ball with the USB connection. If nothing else they look cool.

• Members

I'd love one of those tranzports. I wouldn't call myself a drummer per se, but I can play fairly well, and I'm always finding myself recording drums either for my own writing ideas or just to test out a certain mic setup when a drummer isn't there. I usually set the precount to like 4 bars at least, then I have to walk/run back to the set put the cans on, pick up the sticks, and be counting the whole way (I track and mix all in one room by the way, I'm not that fast). this works, but its more of hassle than it needs to be. I'd love to stick one of those back by the kit permanently. I don't know if its worth $200 to me though for that convenience.

SIDENOTE: Anybody know what the cheepest midi controller possible is? I would duct tape it to a stand or something if I had to (or lay it on the floor, but I feel much more like mcguyver using duct tape).

• Members

Originally posted by the_tonto

I'd love one of those tranzports. ... (I track and mix all in one room by the way, I'm not that fast). this works, but its more of hassle than it needs to be.

If you're in the same room anyway, you may be able to use a wireless keyboard to stop/start recording.

I've got the tranzport and I love it since my drum room is down the hall from my daw. I did have to buy a usb extender cable so i could put the transmitter near the door in my daw room (my basement's water heater and/or furnace is probably interfering with the wireless signal since i can go upstairs and it's fine).

------------------

Not to get this on a tangent, here's some ideas

SM58

CDR media

CD thermal printer - this looks interesting, i may get it myself

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Sorry, no smoking in the studio please...
:wave:;)

And to be honest, I don't want any drinks in the CR either. Especially right next to my computer!
:eek:;)

I hear you. I just thought the idea of a cup holder was classic provided that so many people used to mistake the CD-ROM drive back in the day for one. But functionaly this tray is useless and only provides comic value.

• Moderators

Originally posted by where02190

How about a nice Radio Shack SPL meter?

You know... that's probably the best suggestion here. I use mine anytime I'm playing back. I just wish it would run on AC because I always leave it on and forget. Duracells are expensive.

SPL meter for sure. Good call where.

Archived