I have awesome monitors.

• Members

Originally posted by Manny

I'm looking for these babies for a while. Please tell us more about them.

They are the bestest.

My favorite feature is that the top end doesn't sound like it has any forced muting going on simply for the sake of appearing flat on a graph.

The bottom end extends very low, and is immediate.

Mid range is articulate.

They are beautiful works of art, stunning to look at.

Cool! I'm always happy to hear about someone finding monitors that are a "good fit" for them. Me? After going through many types of nearlields over the years, I finally ended my search for the "perfect fit" with a pair of these.

To quote Ferris Bueller - "They are so choice! If you have the means, I highly recommend picking some up." ;):thu::D

• Members

Originally posted by Stocklin

I would like to A/B some JBL's, but no one seems to carry them anywhere I go.

They look cool.

Pricey, though.

I A/B'd the JBL 6328P with the Event ASP8 and a bunch of others at a local Guitar Center. I thought the JBLs might have had a slight edge over the Events but it was pretty close. I had to really worry about whether they did or didn't.

Also any edge in the showroom wasn't worth the extra $$$ to me at this point in my career. Additionally - I'm using nearfields for "mains" if you know where I'm comin from... I was trying to find a reason to pay the extra $800 or whatever it was for JBLs but I didn't come up with one.

For my use I can hear quite a bit of detail in the bass, mids, and treble with ASP8's. Enough to be able to tell when I tweak an EQ or compressor or whatever I can hear the minute changes. Reference material sounds good enough and I can hear the necessary details that tell me when my own stuff isn't right or when it makes the grade. That's what I wanted in a set of nearfields.

I can't say right now if I would buy another set of ASP8's if they failed - or if I would upgrade to something else. Like I mentioned earlier both budget & sound quality come into the picture so that guides my judgement. I've had the ASP8's for about 7 months I think. I have a Benchmark DAC-1 driving them and I think that helps too probably... :thu:

I've never heard Adam's except at Phils but I don't want to get serious about those baby's - my wife would make me walk the plank!

• Members

Quick Question-

did you have a chance to hear these near a set of the Mackie HR28s? I've heard those and they sound quite good, but only hear them in a metal context... I'm looking into other options for a mainly acoustic project, but will be able to hang with my metal days too.

thanks.

• Members

I A/B'd Event ASP8 and Mackie HR824/624 and selected the Event ASP8. That wouldn't do anybody but me personally any good. You just have to trudge out into the world and take your own personal references, biology and psyco-acoustics into a showroom and listen...:D

I've heard some mighty fine mixes that were balanced on Mackie's.

• Members

Originally posted by kylen

I A/B'd Event ASP8 and Mackie HR824/624 and selected the Event ASP8. That wouldn't do anybody but me personally any good. You just have to trudge out into the world and take your own personal references, biology and psyco-acoustics into a showroom and listen...
:D

I've heard some mighty fine mixes that were balanced on Mackie's.

thanks... i'm trying to find a place with some OK monitors around here but my pickings are slim... sweetwater will probably be my go to guys. i hear when you call them they have excellent customer service.

• Members

Originally posted by desiderium

Quick Question-

did you have a chance to hear these near a set of the Mackie HR28s? I've heard those and they sound quite good, but only hear them in a metal context... I'm looking into other options for a mainly acoustic project, but will be able to hang with my metal days too.

thanks.

I chose the ASP8's over the HR824's. The HR824's sounded profoundly wrong to me.

Very dark monitor with the most screwed up bottom end I've ever heard. The HR824's have some sort of passive radiator somewhere in that cab, and I think that is what exagerates the bottom end. I'm telling you, all I could hear of the bass was nothing more than tons of cabinet resonance.

I was in disbelief that I'd heard for years that the HR824's were becoming the undustry standard for accuracy after I actually got to hear them myself.

However, the HR624's sounded excellent to my ears.

I listened to a Genelec sub, also. That funky one with the heat sink built into it's frame, kind of round looking? Sounded fantastic.

• Members

Well listen up guitwizz, cuz that's exactly my feelings about the 824's as well. That passive radiator puts the bottom end completely out of time with itself. The first time I heard them, in a very well tuned studio showroom at Parsons Audio in Wellesley MA, I said "please turn off the sub, it's out of time". My sales guru Rick turned to me and said, "there is no sub, but there is a passive radiator in the box".

We actually experiemented with taking the PR's out and replacing with a piece of rigid fiberboard cut to fit, and they sounded worlds better in the bottom end.

You can't fight physics, and there is no way that PR can be in time with the active woofer. I can distinctly hear the difference between the two, and IMHO they are completely worthless monitors.

Originally posted by
Fletcher@mercenary.com

I dunno Phil... I kinda prefer
these
... now what's the difference you ask? These are the last 3 sets in the US that have the class A/B amplifiers... the new ones use switching amps.

I THINK mine have the Class A/B amps in them. I'd have to check and get back to you on that. :) I wasn't aware that they had done an amp change recently, although I do remember when they did the changes on them to deal with the one issue that Barrett and I and some other people ran into with the amps a couple / few years ago. But that was back when I was still running the S2-A's, and of course ADAM did swap out the amps for me under warranty. :)

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

Well listen up guitwizz, cuz that's exactly my feelings about the 824's as well. That passive radiator puts the bottom end completely out of time with itself. The first time I heard them, in a very well tuned studio showroom at Parsons Audio in Wellesley MA, I said "please turn off the sub, it's out of time". My sales guru Rick turned to me and said, "there is no sub, but there is a passive radiator in the box".

We actually experiemented with taking the PR's out and replacing with a piece of rigid fiberboard cut to fit, and they sounded worlds better in the bottom end.

You can't fight physics, and there is no way that PR can be in time with the active woofer. I can distinctly hear the difference between the two, and IMHO they are completely worthless monitors.

Any chance Mackie was thinking that the huge misaligned bottom end might have been pushed as a gimmick?

"Check out these new monitors ('98 or so) that are smallish but have a gigantic bottom end! Isn't that awesome?! Buy them!"

• Members

Originally posted by Stocklin

They are the bestest.

My favorite feature is that the top end doesn't sound like it has any forced muting going on simply for the sake of appearing flat on a graph.

The bottom end extends very low, and is immediate.

Mid range is articulate.

They are beautiful works of art, stunning to look at.

I'm really liking my ASP8s too! I had a heck of a problem with UPS though. I got my pair, and within 7 hours one of the tweeters died with a loud POP! Maybe this was Events fault, I dunno, but I like to blame UPS. Sent it back, second on showed up with a big crack in the cabinet! Sent it back. Third one is fine (fingers crossed). Hate UPS!!! :mad:

I gotta give BPMmusic.com a plug :love: (not affiliated in any way). I dealt with the owner, Dwight Erickson, every time I called, and he was just great! Very courteous, patient, helpful and fast. Just the way it should be. Nice price, too.

Anyway, the ASP8s are working out great for me. Nice detail, not hyped as far as I can tell. Everything is just "there" where it should be. Thumbs up!

• Members

Originally posted by Kevin Stone

...I had a heck of a problem with UPS though. I got my pair, and within 7 hours one of the tweeters died with a loud POP! Maybe this was Events fault, I dunno, but I like to blame UPS. Sent it back, second on showed up with a big crack in the cabinet! Sent it back. Third one is fine (fingers crossed). Hate UPS!!!
:mad:

I had to send both back within the first 4 months, 1 for a for a bad woofer and 1 for a bad power amp. The warranty and service manager were great and prompt - the repair shop scratched the front panel of one of the cabinets. I had to buff them out and could've sent them back but I was getting behind and wanted to use them. Compared to my old monitors (Alesis M1 MKII) the holes in the freq range and details were more than obvious.

I'm not yet getting that "repeat customer" sense of quality in handling and design I would like to have with Event. Maybe we'll see some other reports here...

• Members

Originally posted by kylen

I had to send both back within the first 4 months, 1 for a for a bad woofer and 1 for a bad power amp. The warranty and service manager were great and prompt - the repair shop scratched the front panel of one of the cabinets. I had to buff them out and could've sent them back but I was getting behind and wanted to use them. Compared to my old monitors (Alesis M1 MKII) the holes in the freq range and details were more than obvious.

I'm not yet getting that "repeat customer" sense of quality in handling and design I would like to have with Event. Maybe we'll see some other reports here...

Recently I heard some guys talking about Event having some difficulties because supposedly the owner's daughter was embezzeling cash, and screwed up a lot of stuff.

One of my ASP8's would "burp" once in a while when I first bought them. After a couple of week's use, it all cleared up, and they're now working perfectly.

I'm all the time wanting to check out audiophile speakers, but I begin thinking that would be stupid, because professional recordings are not monitored with audiophile speakers, but studio monitors like these ASP8's.

I can't imagine a $20k set of speakers sounding better than these Events.

Archived