I have awesome monitors.

• Members

Just got pair of ASP8. Don't get me wrong, Mackies 824 were my first choice until I read this thread.

Once compared side by side I have chosen ASP8 due to clarity at mid range and personally I liked the sound image better, it feels like sound has more volume..

ASP8 considerably bigger then Mackies, luckily it fits my table.

After hearing my previous mixes I have done with headphones and computer hi-end speakers I realize what a difference my new ASPs makes, I can hear noises undiscovered before, punch pops, EQ and mixing problems ( too bad though, I gotta do more work...).

• Members

Glad they're working out for ya :)... I have the Event TR8 XL's and have been quite happy with them (The SP8 wasnt out yet)

PPPPPPbbbbbbtttttt to Phil and Fletcher for showing off..... Although I am curious how good those new Adam's are that go for $999 a pair

Originally posted by seaneldon

i haven't heard the new adams.

Which new ADAMs?
The A7's?
I may just purchase a set of those eventually for the in the house setup.
:)
I still have not heard those yet, although I've heard almost everything else in the current product line.

i work on the S2As right now. i'd eventually like to move up to the S3As. great speakers.

I started with S2-A's - which are, IMO, very cool speakers. I went up to the 3's due to their better bass extention and increased power / SPL capabilities. The 2's were fine, but due to the size of my CR, I wanted to go bigger. And the 3's have been the perfect "fit" for my room as well as my preferences.

• Members

Originally posted by Stocklin

They are the bestest.

ATCs are the bestest! Most accurate on planet Earth.

Users include George Massenburg, Bob Ludwig, Doug Sax, James Guthrie, Mark Knopfler, Lenny Kravitz, Chuck Ainlay, Sony Studios NY, Telarc, Rolling Stones, Tina Turner blah blah blah...

and me!

-peaceloveandbrittanylips

• Members
Originally posted by Brittanylips

ATCs are the bestest! Most accurate on planet Earth.

Users include George Massenburg, Bob Ludwig, Doug Sax, James Guthrie, Mark Knopfler, Lenny Kravitz, Chuck Ainlay, Sony Studios NY, Telarc, Rolling Stones, Tina Turner blah blah blah...

and me!

I have no doubts that you speak truth.

My ASP8's are the bestest monitors I've heard. Maybe one day I'll get to audition ATC's.

• Members
Originally posted by Stocklin

My ASP8's are the bestest monitors I've heard. Maybe one day I'll get to audition ATC's.

I auditioned a bunch of speakers at my old studio. I turned the place into a SpeakerFest for a couple of months. I had Genelecs, Dynaudios, ATCs, etc., and the ATC were just a different animal from the rest of the pack. They are just painfully accurate, a stethescope to your audio. they're made by this guy who goes to extreme measures to squeeze every little improvement out of these things he can squeeze.

Not that many people really know about them in the U.S. They don't have the same marketing muscle behind them as some of the other higher end monitors. But many of the top mastering studios and musicians "in the know" scoop em up. Accurate at any volume, they're amazing little machines.

• Members

Originally posted by kylen

Also any edge in the showroom wasn't worth the extra $$$ to me at this point in my career. Additionally - I'm using nearfields for "mains" if you know where I'm comin from... I was trying to find a reason to pay the extra $800 or whatever it was for JBLs but I didn't come up with one.

the JBL's have a serious edge over a lot of monitors in that they can reproduce much higher SPL's than most near-filed type monitors....

It's more a Post-Production type issue, where you are monitoring at fixed levels, but an important ddistinction.

-Todd A.

• Members

You know, this monitor question is probably the most common and the most subjective question in pro audio.

In my opinion, most ANY of the monitors spoken of in this thread could be used to do excellent mixes on. I used to have the HR824's, and I don't share Nick's hatred of them, nor do I share his love of the JBL's. But I'm sure most of us could do good mixes on either after a couple days to get used to them. Same with the ASP8's.

Personally, I like my Dynaudios. I like the ASP8's. I like the HR824's. I even like the JBL's (even though they don't go very low and you need a sub to know what the heck's going on below 60Hz).

They're all good monitors!

Archived