MYTH-BUSTERS concerning electric guitars, wood etc.

nightwatchman

• Members

Originally posted by MrSteed

Great post!

I agree 100% with the myth site.

99.99% is just gear hype, myth hear say, rumours,

unsubstantiated fact.

HOW you PLAY actually is important. Imagine that.

Still, it will never stop the quibble to death threads about

why wood X is better than wood Y, or PUP X, better than Y,

or more versatile, or better for shred.... whatever.... That is,

after all, the purpose of this forum
:)

Everyone knows that X Wood can hold way more tone than Y Wood. However, because of it's inability to absorb tone properly Y Wood will sustain much better. Fact.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by bumrunner

THIS, my friends, is something called osmosis. water will always try to balance out into an area where there is less water,
especially
with wood. but its most talked about at the cellular level amongst biologists and chemists.
:thu:

I thought osmosis was the transmission of salts between two liquids through a semi permeable membrane?

• Members

Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

I thought osmosis was the transmission of salts between two liquids through a semi permeable membrane?

In that scenario it's the water that moves into the salty area cos the salty area has less water (cos of the salt molecules). That's always been my understanding.

• Members

Originally posted by bumrunner

THIS, my friends, is something called osmosis. water will always try to balance out into an area where there is less water,
especially
with wood. but its most talked about at the cellular level amongst biologists and chemists.
:thu:

Water trys to balance itself out because it is a liquid. And as a liquid it exerts pressure not only down, like a solid, but also out. The term used for why water like to creep into crevices, or soak up towels, or move towards heat is called capillary action.

• Members

Originally posted by k4df4l

the term I believe you guys are trying to come up with for the process of wood absorbing and releasing moisture in relation to the RH of its environ is "hygroscopic balance"

Do you need a hygroscope for that?

Does it improve your tone?

Otherwise why would we care? :p;):freak:

• Members

Originally posted by walt0915

Do you need a hygroscope for that?

Does it improve your tone?

Otherwise why would we care?
:p;):freak:

come on..like any one cares about anything in threads like this besides who is right and who is wrong and yammmering about their theories :love:

:eek:

• Members

Interesting article. The problem with any tests like this is that the results are always going to be subjective, to a point - if we're talking about blind/double blind/sextuple blind listening tests, that is. Sure, if you're asking "is it maple or rosewood", that's one thing, but can someone really say "A is BETTER than B" and give any kind of logical response, beyond personal preference?

Have a certain group of like-minded folks do the tests - will a bunch of blues freaks have the same results as a group of shredders?

But, all of this stuff, and so much of what is discussed on HC and other musician forums supports the basic point that gear is mostly subjective, and musicians (guitarists especially) are a fickle bunch.

How many of us are looking for that last piece of the puzzle, or maybe several more? How many of us are really satisfied completely? And, when we get that thing that was supposed to be IT, does the quest end?

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)

• Members

When you have two 'envinroments'(might be chambers, spaces, whatsoever, I don't know the correct term) with different concentrations of salts, the water(because it's a molecule with two poles, just as any water soluble salt) will be eletrically attracted to the salt molecules, and thus pass from one 'chamber' to another, until an equilibrium is met and the number of water molecules going to one side is the same number of molecules moving to the other side.

• Members

Originally posted by BloodyScalpel

When you have two 'envinroments'(might be chambers, spaces, whatsoever, I don't know the correct term) with different concentrations of salts, the water(because it's a molecule with two poles, just as any water soluble salt) will be eletrically attracted to the salt molecules, and thus pass from one 'chamber' to another, until an equilibrium is met and the number of water molecules going to one side is the same number of molecules moving to the other side.

My guess is that a "wet" piece of wood tends to contain more water than the surrounding atmosphere, and therefore the transfer of water tends to be OUT of, rather than INTO a guitar body...

In fact, I think one of the concerns about cheapos is that improperly dried wood may warp or crack under the thick poly finishes these sorts of guitars tend to be encased in.

• Members

Originally posted by ExtraGum

My guess is that a "wet" piece of wood tends to contain more water than the surrounding atmosphere, and therefore the transfer of water tends to be OUT of, rather than INTO a guitar body...

In fact, I think one of the concerns about cheapos is that improperly dried wood may warp or crack under the thick poly finishes these sorts of guitars tend to be encased in.

You're right about the first part - it's not osmosis, though, but the same mechanisms that suck the 'vigour'(not sure about this term- i mean water and salts plants extract from the earth) from the roots up to the leaves - the water on the leaves evaporates, the pression is lowered, and more water comes out. It works on a piece of wood that is drying, only not so fast, because there aren't any 'channels' for the water to come out.

But you're mistaken at the second part - if a guitar is made with improperly dried wood, it'll warp, whatever finish you use, because warping is a result of string tension. Well, water makes wood more soft(that's how luthiers bend wood to make acoustic's sides)...add strings and then bam!. You have a warped/cracked/bent neck;)

Archived