EMGS: yay or nay

The Craqster

• Members

I've only experience EMG the 81s and I don't like them. They are a powerful pickup, but I don't care for their cleans. Too lifeless and sterile sounding for my ears.

It's the stock pup on a used MIJ ESP Eclipse that I picked up. I'm actually tempted to toss them out and put in some good Alnico pups instead. But I may just someday sell the entire guitar to a metal head fan.

But the guitar itself is pretty sweet so I'd like to give it another chance.

But take my comments with an extra grain of salt because I really love clean tones and distortion tones are only of secondary importance to me.

• Members

Originally posted by GAS Man

I've only experience EMG the 81s and I don't like them. They are a powerful pickup, but I don't care for their cleans. Too lifeless and sterile sounding for my ears.

It's the stock pup on a used MIJ ESP Eclipse that I picked up. I'm actually tempted to toss them out and put in some good Alnico pups instead. But I may just someday sell the entire guitar to a metal head fan.

But the guitar itself is pretty sweet so I'd like to give it another chance.

But take my comments with an extra grain of salt because I really love clean tones and distortion tones are only of secondary importance to me.

send those crappy 81s my way. i'll even pay the freight. :idea:

• Members
Originally posted by GAS Man

They're not made for cleans just like a corvette stingray isn't made for trips to the local grocery.

• Members

{censored} me, they don't sound sterile, they give you the straight up sound from your guitar. And they do not lack dynamics, they respond as well as any decent passive pickup to playing dynamics and they can do perfectly acceptable clean sounds!!!!

• Members

I have an Eclipse as well. I really love my EMG 81s. I agree the bridge pup is way too sharp and powerful for cleans, just switch to the neck pup and your cleans will sound amazing. I adore EMGs clean or distorted, they shine either way.

• Members

Originally posted by Ross82

{censored} me, they don't sound sterile, they give you the straight up sound from your guitar. And they do not lack dynamics, they respond as well as any decent passive pickup to playing dynamics and they can do perfectly acceptable clean sounds!!!!

These are all opinions save the dynamics one.

They're as compressed as a Super 3.

• Members

85/60 combo is sweet (James Hetfiled uses that I believe). 81 is to sterile. Since I don't play as heavy as I used to, I don't like the EMGs much anymore. Just going with a more vintage sound these days, which EMGs do not deliver. If I was still playing just over the top high gain metal, that is what I'd get and was going to get before my last band broke up..

• Members

I like them. yay. I'm a new EMG convert.

85 is a great bridge pickup, makes for a great fat neck pickup too, 89 is splittable 85, which gets both a trad 85 sound as well as an SA single coil tones - very nice, but may be a little too hi fi for vintage Fender lovers. But those don't use EMGs anyway =)

EMG 60 is very cool too, less woofy then your standard neck humbucker, but still fat.

I recently tried actual SA singles, liked them a lot, wanna get a set of SAV (SA Vintage, just like SAs, but slightly dirtier sounding) for my back up Strat

Tried the 81 only once, didn't like it.

I don't really understand comments on "sterility" of EMGs. Set of mine can sometimes sound a little thin / hollow clean, but it is still very nice and definitely not sterile. My 85 / 89 combo, or my buddies 85 / 60 doesn't even nearly get as shrill and buzzy as his other recent "upgrade" to SD Duncan Distortion, and sounds way better clean.

I don't notice any excessive, if any, internal compression. The pick ups are dead quiet, go direct better then passives, have very low magnetic pull.. if you have several guitars and want to install EMGs into one - don't even hesitate.

• Members

I find them terrific for metal. I really love playing stuff like Slayer, Kreator and Hypocrisy with them.

I don't like them for rock, that's when I pick my other axe. There's something in their feel that I haven't gotten used to yet.

All this said about 81s and a SPC. I haven't tried the others enough to say.

Archived