Integrating your favourite effect pedal into your guitar. Clever or stupid?

El Cruncho

• Members

Hi folks. Say, you took apart a tubescreamer and installed it inside your semihollow/chambered/routed/whatever body between the guitar's electronics and the output jack with true bypass.

Of course, you have to drill drill holes for the controls and provide decent access for battery changes. Maybe integrate the on/off switch into a push/pull pot? For a cool gimmick, maybe install one of those pots that "click" on and off, and wire it so the click is at the end of the sweep so you can turn the overdrive on at eleven! :D

Surely someone must have thought of it, right? Has anyone done it?

• Members

I was just asking about this kind of thing in the effects forum. I've been researching this exact topic for the past couple of weeks, and it seems that there is almost no information about this kind of thing on the web. The closest thing I've found is a series of onboard guitar effects. Here's a link to a site that sells them. These work with push pull pots, which is similar to what you're talking about. My biggest hesitation in buying them is that I have no clue what they sound like. Who knows if they're any good, right? If you find any info, please pass it on. Thanks.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/activepreamps.html

• Members

A lot of those onboard effects claim to have such a low draw on the battery that they can last up to 3000 hours (seriously). Who knows if they're full of it or not. Hey, if you could get 100 hours of active usage out of a battery powered tubescreamer guitar knob that would allow for many sonic possibilities while you're playing. Just a thought.

• Members

IAmAScientist, that's an interesting site; I have similar feelings about the sound since what I'm after is putting a very specific effect (tubescreamer 808) in the guitar. The TS circuit is quite bulky compared to those, and I don't know; those look "too neat". I instinctively distrust anything fitting into such tiny boards :D

I have no idea really; I was thinking of gouging a cavity at the back of a beat-up Teisco, route the control wires to the faceplate and jack, and cover the gaping hole with some plastic board. There's no room for anything else; although it would be quite cool to fit a delay circuit too :freak:

Not something I'm hell bent on doing, but who the heck knows. Anyhing is possible with enough beer :D

• Members

why couldnt this be done?

I rarely use the tone knobs on my LP, or at least the bridge tone knob. Why couldnt i take my Ibanez CS9 apart leave the depth knob inside the back cavity and just use the rate knob up the through the hole where the tone knob for the neck pup was. Of course i would keep the gibson knob on it so it looked normal.

I must do this now!!.

but how would i turn it on and off without drilling another hole?. Hmm...maybe a mini toggle coming outa the jack plate to turn off and on?

• Members

I say try it out. But don't do it with a TS 808 circuit. Mod a TS-5 or TS-7 to TS 808 specs and then use that board. I think the main difference between those made for guitar onboard effects and an actual TS is that a TS would probably drain the battery much more quickly than one of those dinky little onboard effects. I'm going to buy an onboard effect soon. I'll let you know how it turns out.

• Members

Isn't that what those variax guitars are all about? For some reason I like my pedals at my feet and a regular guitar in my hands. But I'm sure at some point it will be common to have a full effects board in every guitar. With hard drives being made that are as small as a quarter, it won't be long before someone invents a great guitar/effects combo that can do just about everything.

• Members

The problem i see is what if you get a different guitar and want to plug it into the tube screamer? do you go buy another one so you can see how it sounds in the new guitar?

Most pedals need a cable plugged in to complete the circuit, THEN you have to push the button to kick em on right?

• Members

i think one of the older metal or rock players did something like that, put a distortion circuit into his guitar....don't exactly remember who.
i think the only thing it would serve is to be able to have his "sound" no matter what he plugs into....whatever that means.
or maybe he doesn't have to hit a pedal at a certain place on stage..
wish i could remember who did it.
i'm thinking jeff beck, or iommi or someone like that.
or was it c.c.deville?

• Members

i remember seeing alot of those "explorer" shaped guitars in pawn shops in the late 80s that had a row of buttons - beside each button the name was listed, they had like wah, dist, delay, phaser, etc.

never tried one though. i dont know who made them but every one i saw was either a white or black explorer shape.

and El cruncho -

I instinctively distrust anything fitting into such tiny boards -

i know alot of those dano mini pedals dont sound all that hot - but a few are really good like the EQ, echo/delay/tremelo. i dont mean good for the price, but good as in i'll take the fish'n'chips EQ over a stock boss GE7 any day - same for the trem.

i used to keep my GE7 in the closet because of the extra noise at high volume levels, but as soon as i got hold of the fish'n'chips, i let a friend have that GE7! the dano one is transparent and totally quiet like a good EQ should be.

its a cool idea, i wouldnt mind installing that EQ in a guitar. it would be cool to have the EQ sliders there on the front but out of the way when playing. you could also use it to slam the front end of an amp by cranking the level.

i love the original TS808 and kept it for years. with alot of amps they just sound perfect - but with certain amps that already have a huge mid-hump flavor sometimes the TS is too much. so there would be another good reason to throw an EQ in the guitar if you plan to put an OD in there! i loved the 808, its just that one of my amps didnt, and that little EQ was a blessing. i had that 808 for quite a few years and kept getting offers to sell it (it was stock all original) and i never sold it till i found something i liked better just a couple years ago. i still wish i would have kept - simply to save it and sell it in another 10 years (although i did get a nice price for it)

• Members
Originally posted by L6Sguy

nobody here has the pic of James Iha with the Small Stone affixed right to his guitar
:confused:

Post it if you find it. I'd like to see it. My dad wants to get a Klon Centaur affixed to the front of his guitar...that thing would take up half of the bottom front of the guitar...

• Members

Gibson sold an explorer with a compressor and some other effect (not sure if it was distortion or a phaser or what) in the late 70's. Mostly it gives you complete control of your effects at the guitar - of course back then they didn't have the digital multi-effect protrammable foot pedal thingys like they have today.

If I was going to do one I'd look into the concentric pots with two controls per shaft (like old car radios) to maxmize options with minimum drilling. that and push-pulls for switching you could have a dandy setup.

Didn't Phil Lesh have a semi-hollow bass with like 7 or 9 knobs on the thing with all kinds of effects? Seems like I remember a photo of him playing that and Jerry on a Strat (that must have been way back).

Sounds like a fun project. Managing power is the key no doubt.

• Members

Originally posted by walt0915

Didn't Phil Lesh have a semi-hollow bass with like 7 or 9 knobs on the thing with all kinds of effects? Seems like I remember a photo of him playing that and Jerry on a Strat (that must have been way back).

Sounds like a fun project. Managing power is the key no doubt.

I remember a grateful dead movie I saw on PBS and phil had a bass that had all kinds of gizmos that made funny noises. I think it's a cool idea for someone who tweaks knobs. It would be cool to have a distortion pedal in a wah type chassis with an adjustable limit on a pot on the side combine that with a volume pedal in the line and you'd have something for any of your guitars.

Archived