Elitist 50SR and 60ST pickups... yea or nay?

Sparky6string

• Members

The stockers are really growing on me. The bridge has a pretty fat sounding crunch on the overdrive. I like the definition on overdrive as well. I also like how the unwound strings don't sound brittle like some guitars. I'm curious about how a JB might do in the position but I don't think I'll get anything for a while

As far as cleans go, I haven't been able to decide which switching I like the most, neck, both, or bridge. The middle is so nice because I get the fat from the neck with the brights from the bridge

I need to get these old strings off though, the tuning is all screwy. Are you guys getting any residue on your fretting fingers while playing? My fingertips are turning black while playing. I'm not sure if it's the strings or maybe some dust left on the frets

• Members

Originally posted by 70 Cam Guy

The stockers are really growing on me. The bridge has a pretty fat sounding crunch on the overdrive. I like the definition on overdrive as well. I also like how the unwound strings don't sound brittle like some guitars. I'm curious about how a JB might do in the position but I don't think I'll get anything for a while

As far as cleans go, I haven't been able to decide which switching I like the most, neck, both, or bridge. The middle is so nice because I get the fat from the neck with the brights from the bridge

I need to get these old strings off though, the tuning is all screwy. Are you guys getting any residue on your fretting fingers while playing? My fingertips are turning black while playing. I'm not sure if it's the strings or maybe some dust left on the frets

The JB will brighten up the guitar quite a bit so if its fine tonewise now then leave well enough alone. If its too dark or muddy then maybe.

My fingers are black from playing all my guitars....I think its just the strings. I put Elixirs on my Elite....they're ok I guess.

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

My fingers are black from playing all my guitars....I think its just the strings. I put Elixirs on my Elite....they're ok I guess.

Fretboard dye..

I noticed that as well when playing a new guitar with the Rosewood fretboard, even after the strings are changed..

Doesn't happen when playing my guitars with Maple fretboards.

Guess these Rosewood fretboards need to be cleaned off before playing.

• Members

Originally posted by Sparky6string

What are you guys thinking of them? I'm used to PAF style sounds but these are starting to grow on me. Those that own these and the Gibson 490/498 set, how do they compare?

I'm liking mine so far. I was very pleasantly surprised with their tone.

I have a 1983 CSE Gibson LP Studio with the 490/498 combo and I prefer the tone of these 50SR/60ST pups. I find them to be more alive and vibrant sounding. A touch of Fender-ish tone.

The 490 is a much ticker tone which is fine if you're going for that, but I find the 50SR to be more articulate. And I'm no particular fan of the 498. I find that to be a real quacky hard midrangey tone. So I much prefer what I'm hearing with the 60ST. When I bought this Elitist, I guessed I'd be soon trading out its pups for a Burstbucker 1&2 combo, but my opinion right now is that the stock pups will be just fine.

Instead, it helped me decide to finally break down and order a set of replacement pups for my Gibson Studio instead. I've got a set of Anniversary Seth Lovers on the way.

But take my comments with a bag of salt, because I'm a "clean tone" afficionado, and for another person who is an afficionado of overdrive/distrotion tones, they could come to a completely different valid review.

• Members

I like the pups quite a bit; I think they sound better in my new Elitist Standard than my Elite LP Custom, which is heavier. The neck pup justs sings through a tubescreamer, I think I like it better than the 490, which can get too muddy for me.

But I'd still give the nod to the 498 bridge; after playing the Elitist for quite a while I pulled out my favorite LP Studio for comparison, and I still prefer the Studio's bridge- not to say the 60ST sounds lousy at all, I definitely like it...it's just a different flavor.

As for the fretboard & strings, my fingers were turning black, too, and I couldn't get a good tuning on it. So I cleaned the fretboard with spitpolish & mineral oil (looks much better) & restrung & intonated it- polished the frets, too, they really needed it. Lubed the nut as well, it was popping before when tuning. Tuning problems fixed, fingers are staying normal colored now. Plays like a dream now, a very worthy addition to the fold!

• Members

Originally posted by joecool1963

The burstbucker pros I had in my standard had too much midrange. These dont seem to have as much mid..

what did ya say, Joe?

Originally posted by joecool1963

The burstbucker pros I had in my standard had too much midrange. These dont seem to have as much mid..

oh, ok :D

• Members

The clean sound of these really surprised me. They sound excellent clean. Then from anywhere between mild overdrive and heavy distortion they held up too. They sound nothing like the PAF style pickups I'm used to but they are staying in the guitar.

I have been so set in my pickup-ways that this change will take quite a while to get used to, but it should be fun. It's probably about time I copped a little more modern sound anyway. For more vintage sounds my Burny still has it's VH1s, my LP Deluxe still has it's minis and my Powerload has a Pearly Gates/Alnico Pro II set.

• Members

Originally posted by Sparky6string

The clean sound of these really surprised me. They sound excellent clean. Then from anywhere between mild overdrive and heavy distortion they held up too. They sound nothing like the PAF style pickups I'm used to but they are staying in the guitar.

They really get close to an Opeth type crunch on high gain. The palm mutes are fantastic and don't get muddied up. Now all I need to do is find a Laney tube amp :D ....and play like Mikael :o

what strings are you guys putting on these anyway? Should I stick with my preferred DR .010's or actually get Gibson strings?

• Members

Originally posted by OldFenderGuy

Fretboard dye..

I noticed that as well when playing a new guitar with the Rosewood fretboard, even after the strings are changed..

Doesn't happen when playing my guitars with Maple fretboards.

Guess these Rosewood fretboards need to be cleaned off before playing.

My Strats and Tele's also leave that black/gray residue. I just figure its the strings as my fretboards all look pretty damn clean seeing as how none get a ton of playtime....:D

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

My Strats and Tele's also leave that black/gray residue. I just figure its the strings as my fretboards all look pretty damn clean seeing as how none get a ton of playtime....
:D

Did you see that picture above of the guy that cleaned his Elite's fretboard? I see the same thing after a new rosewood fretboard is cleaned for the first time. ;)

My Strats and Teles with maple necks don't leave 'black/gray' residue on my fingers. LoL...

Clean your guitars. They get dusty sitting around never being played. :p

• Members

Originally posted by OldFenderGuy

Did you see that picture above of the guy that cleaned his Elite's fretboard? I see the same thing after a new rosewood fretboard is cleaned for the first time.
;)

That's exactly what my fingertips look like after playing for 20 minutes. It looks like I'll just give a good polish when I decide on strings

I don't remember my Pbass doing that to me when I first bought it. Maybe the rosewood isn't as dark as it used to be:confused:

Now for the tune-o-matic n00b question: If I take off all the strings will the saddles fall off?

• Members

Originally posted by Dean Medlock

TT100H owner here, Andy!
:p

I never knew you had one of those! I am so ultra jelous. The live tone Opeth gets from their VH100R and GH100L is to die for. It isn't the typical rectified metal tone and just stands out. Their cleans are awesome too. How do you like it? I realize you probably don't use it for the hi gain stuff I have in mind. How did you find it? I thought they weren't sold in the US

Does it get quiet at all? I really can't get a loud tube amp until I get away from this whole roommate thing. hence, the reason for my gmx212 and bbe

• Members

I never knew you had one of those! I am so ultra jelous. The live tone Opeth gets from their VH100R and GH100L is to die for. It isn't the typical rectified metal tone and just stands out. Their cleans are awesome too. How do you like it? I realize you probably don't use it for the hi gain stuff I have in mind. How did you find it? I thought they weren't sold in the US

Does it get quiet at all? I really can't get a loud tube amp until I get away from this whole roommate thing. hence, the reason for my gmx212 and bbe

Got it off eBay right before Christmas last year...bought it from some recording studio in NC for $535.

I used to have a Laney Pro Tube 100 head that I enjoyed playing through, and I prefer the EL34 tubes (which is what the TT100H has..though it should be called the TT120H, because it puts out 120 watts), so when I went looking for a new head the Laney was the one I sought out. It took awhile to find one, but it was worth it.

I run it through a couple of Avatar 2x12" cabinets loaded with Celestion Vintage 30's...however, it doesn't get played all that much because it gets freakin loud in a hurry! Most of the time I'm either playing through my J-Station w/headphones or plugged into my Micro Cube. The Laney is reserved for those few times when I'm home alone and don't have to worry about bothering the wife or my two young daughters.

It's really not a "high-gain" amp like say, Mesa's are...but then again, I'm really not a "high gain" type of guitarist. I'm sure you could run a pedal in front of it or in the effects loop and get the desired gain you're looking for.

• Members

Now for the tune-o-matic n00b question: If I take off all the strings will the saddles fall off?

No the saddles won't move, but be CAREFUL with the bridge and tailpiece as they will fall off and you could either scratch the crap out of your top or put a nice ding in it.

Archived