best guitar under 200 dollars?

voneville

• Members

I'm looking for a third guitar under 200 dollars. I have a Tele affintiy with custom shop TX blues specials, and a Gibson LP Special DC with p-100's. I want a guitar with a humbucker. I was looking at the following: Epiphone Special II, Hamer flat top, tele custom and custom II (okay, not under 200 and not humbuckers, but a tele with p-90's? How cool is that? I'm not a huge fan of the 25.5 scale, but I've always loved the Tele Customs). And there's a blem refurb 335 dot for $220 that I'm considering. Too many choices.

• Members

Good advice, Hondro, help me convince my wife! Haha. Actually my point is to get something inexpensive. I already own a Gibson. My wife does not understand GAS :) And it wouldn't be fair to my wife and kid to spend excess money on myself for soemthing that is a want and not a need :)

• Members

Why do people insist on buying crap and then polising the turd? You don't NEED the guitar, so just save up until you can buy something decent. You've already got a Gibson, so it's not like your some newbie desperate for a guitar.

Anyway, I'd get something from Rondo's.

I think that this one looks particularly nifty:

http://www.rondomusic.net/ky1ash22.html

These would also be decent buys:

http://www.rondomusic.net/al2000goldhum.html

http://www.rondomusic.net/ghostii.html

• Members

Polishing a turd? I'd rather have the Squier 51 that is a really cool guitar (have played many times and was really surprised) than an SX or Agile from Rondo in that price range. The only SX or Agile in that price is the JJ Pistols model that is really unique and would be an easy upgrade later to Duncan P90s. This is under $150 range that is.

Now that Tele Custom II with P90s is a really cool guitar and the reviews are good on it. If you want to spend that much, I'd go that way for sure.

The 51 has some really interesting tones to it and would be a FUN second guitar to be able mess with.

And I don't dig Yamahas much, I know a bunch of you liek them but when I played them they didn't speak to me at all.

• Members

Originally posted by godofmetalguita

i'd go agile. A band around here has 2 guitarists with agiles and they sound great for their price point.

And you know, the AL 2500 and the AL 2000 are on sale this month - just got the flyer in today. + 1 on the Agile brand. I have four of them. $199.00 too much for a quality LP type guitar?:D

• Members

Originally posted by curseoftruth

Polishing a turd? I'd rather have the Squier 51 that is a really cool guitar (have played many times and was really surprised) than an SX or Agile from Rondo in that price range. The only SX or Agile in that price is the JJ Pistols model that is really unique and would be an easy upgrade later to Duncan P90s. This is under $150 range that is.

Now that Tele Custom II with P90s is a really cool guitar and the reviews are good on it. If you want to spend that much, I'd go that way for sure.

The 51 has some really interesting tones to it and would be a FUN second guitar to be able mess with.

And I don't dig Yamahas much, I know a bunch of you liek them but when I played them they didn't speak to me at all.

Yes, The JJPistolsSX SJM-62 IS a nice guitar for the money. I personally have reservations about the '51, but it may work for you.

• Members

Originally posted by curseoftruth

+1 on the tele custom II. I love the way mine plays and I managed to score it for $170 on a recent MF deal...the bad news is it does need some electronics work...I am prepping to crack mine open, and decided to do it up nice with vintage vibe p90's, new pots, switch, and jack and a complete shield job. WHY? cuz it plays that nice...I WILL post before and after pics when complete. I hope that isn't considered polishing a turd :cry:

• Members

Originally posted by axegrinder

+1 on the tele custom II. I love the way mine plays and I managed to score it for $170 on a recent MF deal...the bad news is it does need some electronics work...I am prepping to crack mine open, and decided to do it up nice with vintage vibe p90's, new pots, switch, and jack and a complete shield job. WHY? cuz it plays that nice...I WILL post before and after pics when complete. I hope that isn't considered polishing a turd
:cry:

I'm the master of polished turds! I had a set of early gibson pickups (mid 60's) in a lotus. Sounded awesome. Wish I still had those pickups. I was actually contemplating routing out my Affinity Tele for a bucker, but for the cost of the pickup and the hardware, plus the fact that I already spent 100 bucks putting in my blues specials (that I do really like the sound of for lead playing) it just seemed dumb. So that's why I'm searching for another guitar.

Archived