An actual POSITIVE post!

• Members

This morning I was a guest on the Florida Folk Show on WMNF in Tampa, hosted by Jim Mason. We talked about a bunch of stuff, I played some songs, and had a blast! I can't sing in the morning worth a damn... so I really didn't sing well at all. But it was still a blast. Jim produced gold and platinum albums back in the day for Firefall and Poco, and has sung background vocals for John Lennon and Alice Cooper (and more.) You should hear the stories this guy tells.

I have no idea how old Jim is, or what other side projects he has to pay the bills, but I know he doesn't do music as his only job/source of income. And his attitude? It's fantastic. You won't hear him complaining about the new music biz or anything at all. He plays in a couple of different bands, one of which is original and probably doesn't make any money, he hosts a radio show Saturday mornings, and he's just a fun guy to be around. Always smiling, always in a good mood. Clearly it's not about the money for Jim, and he's still doing music and he's still loving it. There's a picture on my web site of me and Jim if anyone's curious.

I want to have his exact same attitude when I'm his age. I won't have his stories, though! He once drank with Janis Joplin. I mean, damn. He taught Eric Clapton the different values of our American coins when Eric was visiting the states back in the day. Nicest guy in the world. I know, I know, the way I'm talking about him you'd think I was raising money for a statue. But the point is that here's a guy who back in the day was on top of the music world, and all these years later he's still active in the Tampa music scene and he's still loving music.

• Members

You guys look good! Congrats on meeting and getting to play for Jim bro! I know what you mean about Radio in the morning..I can never do it well!! Hey man, I'm really positive on music lately and it seems like this attitude is rubbing off on you too :)

• Members

LOL! I had people showing up at my gig the following night because they heard the radio show. It was funny - I was playing some Elton John and this guy comes up and he's like "Hey man, I heard you on the radio - I'm here to hear YOUR stuff!" So I apologized and didn't play another cover all night!

Archived