Building a skateboard guitar. How do I attach the neck?

tedzepplin

• Members

That one guy is playing an old powell and peralta..........those older decks did not have both sides with kicks on them......they had a distinct front and back..........good decks also do not come with grip tape on them so you don't have to worry about that.....and that one is actually not the graphics side that is the top Powell and Peralta insignia. You will have to find and older deck that does not have real steep kicks and a big concave. The new decks are pretty worthless for you..................I used to skate when I was young pretty hard......now that I'm a bit older I just bought a new skateboard and I use it for getting around a little........found out I'm not nearly as fearless as I was when i was younger......I guess my wisdom has taught me that asphalt {censored}ing hurts.

• Members

Originally posted by hollowbox

..................I used to skate when I was young pretty hard......now that I'm a bit older I just bought a new skateboard and I use it for getting around a little........found out I'm not nearly as fearless as I was when i was younger......I guess my wisdom has taught me that asphalt {censored}ing hurts.

ain't that the truth? what a drag it is getting old - now I'm thinking that dust catcher I got somewhere might make a pretty cool guitar

• Members

Originally posted by hollowbox

That one guy is playing an old powell and peralta..........those older decks did not have both sides with kicks on them......they had a distinct front and back..........good decks also do not come with grip tape on them so you don't have to worry about that.....and that one is actually not the graphics side that is the top Powell and Peralta insignia. You will have to find and older deck that does not have real steep kicks and a big concave. The new decks are pretty worthless for you..................I used to skate when I was young pretty hard......now that I'm a bit older I just bought a new skateboard and I use it for getting around a little........found out I'm not nearly as fearless as I was when i was younger......I guess my wisdom has taught me that asphalt {censored}ing hurts.

WHAT!?!? you mean the chicks dont like scabs all over when you get older? maybe thats my problem? :freak::eek:

I hate when you get haulin and hit a little rock.

• Members

Originally posted by BowerR64

It almost looks like a neck threw style neck bolted to the bottom of the deck.

oh, yeah, I forgot about that style of neck. I think that's a great idea! Thanks.

As for the other guys - thanks for writing comments even if it just keeps the threat active long enough to get a few good suggestions.

I don't think a skateboard flexes too much. You are right that some skateboard decks are designed to flex - a Sector 9 longboard for example.

The deck I'll use is a reissue of the Dogtown Big Foot deck. 12" wide and 31" long - flat deck, flat nose, the only curve is the back kicktail.

No Tone?

I've got other 1960s japanese no name guitars with light bodies that tone snobs have told me "it will sound crappy - no tone!" My response is how do you know what kind of tone I want? A guy playing a guitar that is made out of a skateboard is not looking for 15 pounds of Les Paul tone to play classic rock.

Looks stupid?

I think a million guys playing strats and Les Pauls or any heavy metal/hard rock high tech guitars look stupid. I'm not saying every strat or les paul is bad. I like Dick Dale (strat player) I like Les Paul (Les Paul player) but in the guitar world I think too many people just fall in line into the classic rock thing and I'm not doing that.

Of course it's a novelty guitar. It might sound o.k. or it might sound bad. I won't know till I've made it. I do know it has worked for at least two bands. the Surf Punks and Monster Trux. both surf/skate bands.

A guy in Devo used to play a guitar that looked like a through-neck with pick-ups on it- no additional guitat body. it worked for him. I know you classic rock guys will hate Devo.

• Members

Not quite as "authentic", but you could always use a longer, solid piece of wood (mahogany or similar) and trace the shape and graphics of the skateboard you want to emulate, and grind down the edges (so it appears to be as thin as a real skateboard), but it would be as thick as a "standard" guitar in the center. Then, you could simply add a standard bolt-on Fender style neck, or something similar. Once the guitar cavities are all routed, add the trucks (countersink so they don't stick out too far) and other necessary skateboard parts. From 10 feet away, no one would know the difference, and it will likely sound a whole lot better than a bolt-on or neck thru fastened to a thin skateboard body.

• Members

the only problem I'd see with using a through-neck is that a skateboard is a little too thick to use as a veneer. You might want to pick up a cheap bolt-on neck les paul(or strat), to use for parts, and then take a solid block of some hardwood, route it for a neck pocket, and then mount the board on top of that.

• Members

Originally posted by CrackerD

I've actually done the exact opposite. I stuck some wheels on my '58 LesPaul. Man, you should see the ollies I get off that baby!!!

I have kinda f*%ed up the flame top though.

PICS :D:rolleyes:

• Members

You know what theT-shirts say...

"Skateboarding is not a crime!"

However, playing one of those skateboard-guitars might be...

Just kidding, if you've ever seen the POS monstrosities I play, you'll know I'm not serious.

For example...

CHEESEGUITAR1.jpg

Archived