neumann tlm49. uh oh.

• Members

they'll sell a million of these things. $1500 and it comes with a shockmount.

it has pretty much nothing to do with an m49. no ac701 (it's a FET mic), cardioid pattern only. it's just SORT of shaped like a 49.

still though...they're gonna sell a million of these. and that's exactly why they made it.

p37510b.jpg

Looks like $1,500 is the MAP - list price is $1,699.

I really dig a good M 49... too bad they didn't reissue that instead of just using part of the model name and putting it on something completely different.

But as always, the jury is out until I can actually hear / try / use the thing. :) It might be the greatest FET mic ever, or a dismal failure for all I know at this point. :)

But either way, you're probably right about them selling a gripload of them.

Or the M 149, which isn't a "real" M 49 either... but that's just based on "name" and "price point". Any Neumann that's priced under two grand is likely to sell at least some quantity; if for no other reason than the "name".

I personally don't want to completely bag on Neumann and AKG, but IMO, both have kinda dropped the ball... they're not giving people what they really want - or at least what *I* really want. ;) Neumann would have a tough time making a dead on 47 reissue, due to the VF14 tube situation, but I see no reason why they couldn't make a U 67 or M 49 again. It's not like AC701's are all that hard to get ahold of. And if they released either one, and priced it under $4 K, I'd be all over it like ugly on stink - assuming it was built to the specs and standards of the old models. I suspect I wouldn't be alone in that either.

• Members

The U67 was reissued in 1991. So, in reality, you dropped the ball by not buying one then :)

The fact of the matter, though, is that Neumann/Sennheiser are attempting to "move forward in design and technology of microphones" rather than recreate mics from decades ago. Is it a business crumbling decision? No. They've sold about 10 times the amount of TLM103s than they would of an exact reissue of a '49 or a '67.

• Members

That's very very true. If you're looking at them from a business standpoint, they're doing the "traditional" business growth thing: make a similar product, make it cheaper (by cutting some corners), and market the name as much as the product.

FWIW, I've never been a huge fan of the TLM103, it just lacks something that the older Neumanns have.

FWIW, I've never been a huge fan of the TLM103, it just lacks something that the older Neumanns have.

Yeah, a transformer for a start... ;)

Most of the (transformerless) TLM mics have not really floated my boat, although I do like the TLM170 on some things. And while I do see the business advantages to their current approach, their reputation was established and their name built on stuff that the current product line for the most part doesn't come anywhere close to measuring up to. KM184? Come on... does anyone out there really prefer it over the older KM84's? IMO, the title of "world's best production mics" is no longer theirs... which is a shame really. But they still have the "name recognition", and they can certainly profit off of that... just not from me. At least not until the start building stuff that knocks my socks off again.

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Yeah, a transformer for a start...
;)

Most of the (transformerless) TLM mics have not really floated my boat, although I do like the TLM170 on some things.

I never liked the TLM103 much, that snarky little bugger.

But I have to say, I love the TLM193, which is underrated and wonderful. Beautiful sound.

Does anyone have any more info on the tlm 49? I read it has a tube emulation circuit which makes me a little uncomfortable. Fake tube distortion with no off button... hmmmm.....

plb

Does anyone have any more info on the tlm 49? I read it has a tube emulation circuit which makes me a little uncomfortable. Fake tube distortion with no off button... hmmmm.....

plb

Hey BL - great to dig your face man! (Sorry, old Doonsbury / David Foster joke. :) ) I don't have any news on the new Neumann beyond this thread... where did you hear about the "toob emulation" thing?

Anyway, good to see you again. Hope you've been doing well and staying busy. :thu: Heaven knows I have been. :o

• Members

here phil:

from roaddog pro audio:

"This is a large diaphragm condenser, K49 capsule, in the body of the M 150 Tube. It's a transformerless design with a tube simulation circuit that creates even order harmonics in the same way that tube microphones do - minus the cost and the accessory needs of a tube microphone. Comments at recently tested studios sayit sounds "smooth, full, creamy" and was inevitably compared to the older microphones.

The TLM 49 ships in a carton with the shockmount, the EA 3. The heft and weight of the microphone was commented on specifically, as was the body style. Test customers loved that the mic looked vintage and sounded "vintage". They also revelled in the fact that there is no additional cabling or power supply needed, and that the shockmount came with the microphone!!

Shipment date is set for late April early May of 2006."

in other words. $1500 for a great capsule!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

the capsule of the tlm49 is a k47

Originally posted by seaneldon

here phil:

from roaddog pro audio:

"This is a large diaphragm condenser, K49 capsule, in the body of the M 150 Tube. It's a transformerless design with a tube simulation circuit that creates even order harmonics in the same way that tube microphones do - minus the cost and the accessory needs of a tube microphone. Comments at recently tested studios sayit sounds "smooth, full, creamy" and was inevitably compared to the older microphones.

The TLM 49 ships in a carton with the shockmount, the EA 3. The heft and weight of the microphone was commented on specifically, as was the body style. Test customers loved that the mic looked vintage and sounded "vintage". They also revelled in the fact that there is no additional cabling or power supply needed, and that the shockmount came with the microphone!!

Shipment date is set for late April early May of 2006."

in other words. $1500 for a great capsule!

• Members

I've still never used a TLM103, but had heard that it was quite dark, and that it had a serious amount of output.

No one that I know ever seemed to get too enthusiastic about it, although one or two people mentioned that it made a good room mic for drums and that it didn't suck on guitar cabinets.

Archived