Its official Im saving up for a PRS

Devinstation

• Members

Ive kept on looking and looking at guitars and today the local guitar show owner let me play a bunch of their Paul Reed Smiths. Wonderful. I haven't decided which one I want yet but I think I may go for a CE Mahogany 24. Im not a huge fan of the bird inlays (I think they look awesome but are just a bit to much for my taste) and I think I want to get a solid paint job. That blazing copper looked excellent in the shop. I play ska and I was suprised to hear how well it sounded for ska. It sounded perfectly natural, and it was awesome with distortion. Anyone agree with my choice?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If I ever buy another PRS it will be a Swamp Ash Special. Extrememly versatile guitar that covers alot of Gibson and Fender territory.

I WISH PRS would start making their CEs with alder bodies. As much as I hate to agree with Ed Roman on this, I do believe the alder bodied CEs were WAY more versatile than their mahogany bodied brothers.

If you want a mahog. body and neck however, don't totally dismiss the Custom 24s (even though everyone and their mother will tell you about the neck pickup not resting under the strings to get the best tone - due to the 24 frets it's pushed closer to the bridge pickup). The Custom 24s have this slinkiness about the them that I love and the pickups (even though they are ceramic) still sound great. IMO of course.

Tom / FC

• Members

Originally posted by Devinstation

Ive kept on looking and looking at guitars and today the local guitar show owner let me play a bunch of their Paul Reed Smiths. Wonderful. I haven't decided which one I want yet but I think I may go for a CE Mahogany 24. Im not a huge fan of the bird inlays (I think they look awesome but are just a bit to much for my taste) and I think I want to get a solid paint job. That blazing copper looked excellent in the shop. I play ska and I was suprised to hear how well it sounded for ska. It sounded perfectly natural, and it was awesome with distortion. Anyone agree with my choice?

worst guitars you could be saving for that's for sure :)

• Members

Originally posted by Trader

I have ... a Swamp Ash Special. I really like the Special, it comes tapped and has a ventage Gibson rail between two McCarty pickups. Produces a real wide range of sound.

Originally posted by Fyngercuffs

If I ever buy another PRS it will be a Swamp Ash Special. Extrememly versatile guitar that covers alot of Gibson and Fender territory.

Originally posted by Alchemist

The only one I really like and actualy want is the swamp ash special, its quite a nice, and very versatile guitar.

These comments are worth bearing in mind. I bought a Custom 22 and always regretted not checking out a Swamp Ash. I read a lot of reviews that described the Custom as being able to 'cover Gibson and Fender' territory, but this is wishful thinking - it's firmly rooted in Gibson grass.

The Swamp Ash Special is a far better bet if it's versatility you're after IMO. Versatility aside, the ash body and maple neck make it an interesting enough proposition to check out if you're considering buying a PRS.

BTW - the build quality of these guitars is impeccable. Puts to shame any Gibson I ever laid hands on :).

• Members

In general I dont like PRS much. Their exagerated price points have a bit to do with that, their necks is the other reason. The only one I really like and actualy want is the swamp ash special, its quite a nice, and very versatile guitar.

LMAO

says the gibson fanboy

• Members

Originally posted by Fyngercuffs

I WISH PRS would start making their CEs with alder bodies. As much as I hate to agree with Ed Roman on this, I do believe the alder bodied CEs were WAY more versatile than their mahogany bodied brothers.

If you want a mahog. body and neck however, don't totally dismiss the Custom 24s (even though everyone and their mother will tell you about the neck pickup not resting under the strings to get the best tone - due to the 24 frets it's pushed closer to the bridge pickup). The Custom 24s have this slinkiness about the them that I love and the pickups (even though they are ceramic) still sound great. IMO of course.

Tom / FC

I agree, I have a 91 ce24 with an alder body and it sounds better than all the newer ce24s I have had the chance to play.

• Members

Originally posted by false crack

Im saving up for a PRS 20th anniversary Standard.

I might be wrong but I think they stopped production on those guitars so if you want one, you'll have to find it from some dealer that already has it in stock and you you will only be able to choose from what they have.

• Members

If you are willing to save that much money, take a look at these guitars too. Just a suggestion. Schecter custom shop.

http://www.schecterguitars.com/custom.asp

HAHAHA, you have to be kidding?!? :confused::freak:

Seriously, if you're saving money, save it for a PRS like the one in my sig...

Nothing else compares.

:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by One-armed Alec

:D

She looks halfway there already, what with that maple board stuck up her kyber!

All kidding aside, I played some used CS PT's and they were fantastic guitars, thats why I recommended it. They also cost no more than your average PRS.:freak:

• Members

If you are willing to save that much money, take a look at these guitars too. Just a suggestion. Schecter custom shop.

http://www.schecterguitars.com/custom.asp

You'd do anything to keep someone from a PRS?:D

It kinda gets old to see you post whenever anyone here talks about PRS guitars. I dont see the folks here who talk about PRS go over smear on your Gibson threads.

It's totally cool not too like a certain brand of guitar or whatever product for that matter. But you seem to go out of your way to enter the PRS disscusions and just try sell the fans of these fine guitars over to something else. Seems really strange to me. You begin to come off as used car dealer that doesnt have the model I'm looking for.

Many of us have played guitar for longer than yourself and others here have been alive and own many brands of guitars. I'm pretty sure I've owned and played way way more guitars than you probably have and can make a desicion on what I like from my own experience. For the record I love guitars from many many companies including Gibson and Fender. Though to me PRS guitars fit me wonderfully for everything I play and I dont need someone to tell me I should play something else.

Sorry for my rant I'm not trying to be a dick or bum you out Alchemist. I just dont always understand your reasoning about PRS threads. Most of us here have read your opinion in every PRS thread and I personally respect it but I dont know why you feel you need sway everyone from them. If they are not your favorite guitars cool. They are for many others.

• Members

I got nothing against them, didnt I say I love the SAS earlier on? I was just offering up another idea. If hes interested as Schecter offers up some PRS shaped guitars:freak: thats all. Its like someone asking for a fender strat and someone chiming in and saying, hey check out an anderson or G&L while youre at it. Nothing more, nothing less:wave:

edit: havent you yourself offered up Schroeder guitars as an alternative when others have talked about similar guitars? I dont think its detremental to the original posters idea, I dont see anything wrong with laying down many options on the table before purchasing.

• Members

I got nothing against them, didnt I say I love the SAS earlier on? I was just offering up another idea. If hes interested as Schecter offers up some PRS shaped guitars:freak: thats all. Its like someone asking for a fender strat and someone chiming in and saying, hey check out an anderson or G&L while youre at it. Nothing more, nothing less:wave:

Dude, it's cool. Schecters are great guitars, but like you mentioned until you get a CS Schecter they're not in the same league as a USA PRS.

Archived