From Youtube to MTV in 9 months?

AVisme

• Members

I was up late last night watching MTV, and this video came on:

_AU1yyy_At4

Anybody recognize him? It's the kid who was hyped on TV for playing Lady Gaga's "Paparazzi" at some school event. It was all over the TV gossip shows and they played his Youtube video over and over:

bxDlC7YV5is

There are some cynical people who think the whole thing was a major label marketing campaign, but who knows.

• Members

That's awesome!!! Good for that kid - I hope he makes a million bucks. He deserves it. That video was killer - he absolutely deserved to get signed. Little girls eat that cute-boy idol crap up and Justin Bieber seems like he has got to be peaking, his success is incredible.

• Members

That's awesome!!! Good for that kid - I hope he makes a million bucks. He deserves it. That video was killer - he absolutely deserved to get signed. Little girls eat that cute-boy idol crap up and Justin Bieber seems like he has got to be peaking, his success is incredible.

Maybe, but I'm more cynical, I guess. I have no idea whether he deserves it or not, or even what criteria one would use to make such a determination. Maybe he does, as much as anyone deserves a million dollars for producing not very much of anything of lasting value.

I find it not coincidental that the two largest consumer groups with the most disposable income are the tweens/early teens and post child/pre-retirement adults 50-65. But the latter don't buy much music anymore, so guess which group is being aimed at by the money machine?

• Members

Could it also be shifting focus? iPods, emo, Wii and tons of other stuff were successfully marketed towards older teenagers not 10 years ago. Previous to that it was younger teens with boy bands and before that again in the 80's it was older teens. I would think there's obviously some sort of crop rotational thing going on.

Archived