Is it bad to leave a guitar unstrung?

FryGuy

• Members

Is that just a myth or what? I took off the strings to my C1 Classic earlier and cleaned the guitar thoroughly, but my last package of strings is missing the high e, so I don't want to put them on. If I'm not mistaken, I should be okay except for that I'll have to adjust the truss rodd next time I string it, right?

Also, when I pick up my C1 Classic, something moves on the inside of the guitar. It sounds like it's around the base of the neck. I checked the cavities for something loose but didn't find anything. I wouldn't think it would be the truss rodd, because my other guitars don't do it, but I figured I'd better ask someone to find out what it is. Any opinions are much appreciated.

Thanks,

FryGuy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes it does make a difference. The neck is essentialy ballanced between the grain of the wood, the truss rod, and the tension the strings apply, which is quite big. Removing them all removes that one force from the equation and can lead to the neck warping. This also depends on the type of neck materials, etc.

I remember reading an old Slash interview and he said he had a les paul he really loved, it was perfect to him. However one day he removed all the strings at once, after he replaced them, he noted that the guitar was never the same again.

• Members

Originally posted by Trader

I always take them all off so I can clean and condition the fretboard before putting the new set on.

you can do that with the old strings on, just work around them, who cares if they get oily right? you are going to toss them anyway...

• Members

I do it both ways.. on my electrics usually one at a time, on my acoustics usually all at once.

I have had strings off guitars for days without adverse effects - however it may take a day for the neck to settle in again, and I wouldnt go adjusting the truss rod right aay, as the neck will settle back again more than likely. It just may take up to a few days.

Sometimes strings have to come off for various jobs like fret work, cleaning, changing pups, etc and I really think its a rare thing for a neck to get screwed up just because the strings are taken off. Otherwise there would be a whole lot of wrecked guitars...

• Members

My experience shows me that there is nothing wrong with leaving an electric guitar unstrung. I have had necks that had been laying around for years and had no problems after installing them. I have a Gibson SG that hung on a wall hanger for over a year. After I refinished and reassmbled it, it still sets up well and has no problems with the neck.

If the neck was made using green wood, I could see that the neck could warp. The woods that are used for electric guitars are either kiln dried or aged in a controlled environment. Then they are usually seald or finished to keep the moisture out.

• Members

I have heard from many different sources, the whole one at a time, and all of at once, I really think it depends on your guitar and the way the neck is going into the guitar, for a neck through body, I don't believe it would warp, but I couldn't really tell ya! know on my Gibson ES-137, I take all the strings off, but in a certain way. Start with the first 2 highs strings, then remove the low E immediately, then just work inward. This still add the correct amount of tension on your guitar while you are taking the strings off, but I do a quick clean of my fretboard, and put them right back on. So no more than 5 minutes, I wouldn't recommend leaving a guitar w/o strings on ever, and even leaving a guitar with on 5 strings, is even worse, because naturally science says that the missing string side of the neck with gravitate towards where the tension is remaining, I am not a Scientist, I just play one on HC. That's my opinion, I could be wrong!

• Members

Originally posted by Pope on a Rope

If the neck was made using green wood, I could see that the neck could warp. The woods that are used for electric guitars are either kiln dried or aged in a controlled environment. Then they are usually seald or finished to keep the moisture out.

I agree, if the wood selection was propper, and dried correctly then it shouldnt really be that big of an issue.

And actually you dont exactly want "to keep the moisture out"

the idea is you want the wood to be at ballance with its environment, which will fight warping and cracking.

• Members
Originally posted by Alchemist

I remember reading an old Slash interview and he said he had a les paul he really loved, it was perfect to him. However one day he removed all the strings at once, after he replaced them, he noted that the guitar was never the same again.

I always change my strings like this. It hasn't affected my guitars yet.

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

nope, I do it too, its the best way, also its a must on a floyd rose unless you want to throw off the balance...

i don't see the reason for the FR to go out of balance. if you're putting new strings of the same gauge the bridge should stay in the same position it was before (at least it stays so on my guitars).

• Members

i slacken the tuners a lot so the strings are loose. than i cut the strings at the 12th fret and take em off so they stay in the garbage nicely.

however, ever since ive changed my strings all at once for many years now, my necks have exploded all over the place and ive had to get a new neck every time i change my strings.

Archived