I built my first guitar! (Lado Lutherie School)

dougbeens

• Members

Doug,

Thats excellent. I love the colour! I have checked out the Lado website - not that I have any intentions to go (I already have my woodworking business to run) but it certainly looked like a worthwhile experience if you are after a career building guitars.

That school is about 5 hours south of where I live.

Best of luck in your future! Remember to charge enough for your work!

AJC

• Members

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the support and well-wishes.

Originally posted by Bruce Bennett

Excellent work Doug!.

Maybe I'll see you at NAMM someday!

Thanks Mr. Bennett, I certainly hope so! Again, thanks for the support. I remember you PM'd me some time before I went to school and gave me some great advice and insight.

Originally posted by ajcoholic

Doug,

Thats excellent. I love the colour! I have checked out the Lado website - not that I have any intentions to go (I already have my woodworking business to run) but it certainly looked like a worthwhile experience if you are after a career building guitars.

That school is about 5 hours south of where I live.

Best of luck in your future! Remember to charge enough for your work!

AJC

AJC, I think you had mentioned your parents were off-the-boat Croatian? My teacher/master at the Lado school was Joe Kovacic, also *very* Croatian... lol. ...a great, funny guy

Have you ever had a drink of Sljivovica? On our last day celebration, Joe brought in a bottle and we all had a shot of it. It was a pretty interesting drink, pretty tasty.

• Members

Originally posted by dougbeens

Have you ever had a drink of Sljivovica? On our last day celebration, Joe brought in a bottle and we all had a shot of it. It was a pretty interesting drink, pretty tasty.

Yup, have a bottle of it right here... :) But I only drink that stuff when I am feeling ill, its like medicine!

If I had the time I would go to that place just to learn... it has to be an amazing experience.

AJC

• Members

Originally posted by dougbeens

So I recently completed my 20-week course at the Lado Lutherie School in Lindsay, Ontario... I had a great time and gained a heck of a lot of skills and knowledge that I wouldn't have found otherwise.

Anyway, I thought I'd share my new guitar with you... It's a modern-looking doublecut design: Ebony fingerboard with pearl 12th fret "moon and stars" inlay, Mahogany body with a flamed maple top, and a 3-piece "set" maple neck.

I made my fair share of mistakes building this and definitely learned from them. The old carpenter's saying is true: Measure twice, Cut once!

I'm setting up shop in the basement now and I'm already getting started on my second guitar. Sooo much fun!

Well, I'm keeping you waiting... Here are some pics!

Enjoy,

Doug

finish_ALLDONE2.jpg

THAT MY FRIEND, IS A SMOKING ASS GUITAR.

KILLER FINISH .

Well done, well done indeed....

• Members

Great looking guitar, especially for your first build. Did you do all the design and finish work as well?

Unless you invest in some automation tools (i.e. CNC) to allow you to produce a decent volume of instruments, I think your $1300 - $1600 range is a bit on the low side. Once you remove your material and overhead costs, at that price you're probably making somewhere around minimum wage (or less) when you factor in your time. Hand built instruments cater to a different customer base than mass-produced instruments, so it's very difficult to try and compete with them price-wise. IMHO it's best to focus your pricing and sales efforts towards the high-end market. Unless you don't mind eating at the soup kitchen on your lunch breaks. :)

That is certainly an instrument to be proud of! Best of luck to you. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Tundra_Man

Great looking guitar, especially for your first build. Did you do all the design and finish work as well?

You've got a good point... It's not really the same market.

I did all of the design work myself. I actually had it finished "full-scale" on paper two weeks before school started... My original sketch was about three years old!

Basically, every single part of the build was done by my hands only, with the exception of the finish.

I rubbed the trans-black stain, but I did not spray the black "burst" on the edges or the laquer clear. All spraying was done by Joe Lado.

Basically the argument was that spraying takes a great amount of skill and practice, and with everything else we did in class, we just didn't have time in the schedule to get that practice in.

That's it, just spraying. Everything else I was involved in. (Including wet-sanding and final buff)

• Members

that is one fine piece of craftmanship. i love the design!! count me in for one when you start to sell. if i were you id be the proudest man alive at the moment, i wish i could do something even half the quality of that. keep going lad, i predict a bright future for you lol

Archived