I built my first guitar! (Lado Lutherie School)

dougbeens

• Members

So I recently completed my 20-week course at the Lado Lutherie School in Lindsay, Ontario... I had a great time and gained a heck of a lot of skills and knowledge that I wouldn't have found otherwise.

Anyway, I thought I'd share my new guitar with you... It's a modern-looking doublecut design: Ebony fingerboard with pearl 12th fret "moon and stars" inlay, Mahogany body with a flamed maple top, and a 3-piece "set" maple neck.

I made my fair share of mistakes building this and definitely learned from them. The old carpenter's saying is true: Measure twice, Cut once!

I'm setting up shop in the basement now and I'm already getting started on my second guitar. Sooo much fun!

Well, I'm keeping you waiting... Here are some pics!

Enjoy,

Doug

finish_ALLDONE2.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by BlackHatHunter

very, very sweet. Are you going to open shop commercially?

You bet!

I've only built this one so far though, I'd like to build at least ten more on a "practise" basis for my own collection (or sell them "at cost" for awhile) before I start charging like "real" companies do.

• Members

Originally posted by dougbeens

Thanks! I'll never sell this "actual" guitar... It's way too sentimental for me.

If you mean, this "model"... Well, I'm not really sure... I'm just starting out right now and this isn't my main source of income, so I can afford to sell for the cost of materials, really.

When I begin building "commercially/professionally", I suspect I will charge between $1300 and $1600 base price... I mean just to cover costs and make enough money to pay the bills.

You bet I am! My number one life goal is to build professionally.

I've only built this one so far though, I'd like to build at least ten more on a "practise" basis for my own collection (or sell them "at cost" for awhile) before I start charging like "real" companies do.

What are the type of startup costs to get into this. I'm really interested in starting to build guitars. Not really with bindings or anything yet but simple fender ones.

What type of tools and cash is needed?

• Members

Maaaan I am so jealous. I want to be a luthier too. But the prices... plus it being in Canada and 20 weeks.. Meh. I wish I could find something similar here, if there is anything. The guitar looks absolutely killer!!

Archived