What would you buy???

• Members

there's too many options for both mics and preamps in that pricerange. what sound are you looking for? what kind of things do you want to record with your new mic and preamp?

they're not made anymore, but $9k used to get you a Brauner VM1-KHE. we've got one. stunning. that'd be blowing your budget anyway. still, i'd investigate a regular VM1 for a good hi-fi, versatile mic.

as far as killer pres, maybe something like a DW Fearn VT1 with an Atomic Squeezebox for your compressor (the compressor you really CAN'T HEAR COMPRESSING). Brauner->Fearn->Squeezebox = pretty insane signal chain as long as you've got the excellent converters or tapedeck to put it into. Of course there's world's of great mics and preamps for $10k, that's just an example. Wagner and Wunder make pretty faithful U47 recreations, as does Telefunken USA, who also makes a great ELA M251 recreation, and Soundelux makes a great 251-inspired mic, as well as other great mics...you get the idea. I could go on about preamps the same way. And that's just if you're after a vintage styled mic.

maybe post some stuff you were thinking about getting and we could narrow it down.

• Members

ditto on the Telefunken USA U47 and the Neve 1073.

Though I think that if i had those, I would try to figure out how to scrape up enough for a Tubetech CL1B compressor to join the party.

then id basically have the vocal chain I use alot at the studio. I use a 1066 instead of a 1073, primarily becuase thats whats there.

:)

• Members

here, i'll go into details about more options:

Microphones:

- Brauner VM1

- Horch RM2J

- Wagner U47

- Wunder Audio CM7

- Telefunken USA U47

- Telefunken USA ELA M251 (F or E)

- Soundelux E47

- Soundelux ELUX251

- Manley Gold Reference

- Microtech Gefell UM75 Anniversary

- Select vintage options from reputable dealers. Something like a C12, M49, etc.

Preamps:

- DW Fearn VT1

- Thermionic Culture Early Bird

- Martech MSS-10

- Pendulum Audio Quartet II

- TAB Funkenwerk V78

- Chandler LTD1

- Vintage or New Reissue of Neve 1073/1081/similar vertical style.

- Manley VoxBox

- GML 2032

Compressors (if needed):

- Innertube Audio Atomic Squeezebox

- Chandler LTD2

- Empirical Labs Distressor

- Purple Audio MC77 (PROPER 1176 recreation)

- DW Fearn VT7

all of this stuff is pretty much insane on almost EVERYTHING, most likely COMPLETELY insane on a great vocalist. those are your options. mix and match as you like. they'll pretty much all work together.

shoot a call to Jay over at Mercenary Audio. http://www.mercenary.com

• Members

Originally posted by Warhead

Is this just for fun or are you serious? If you're serious, what kind of work do you have going on? Rock? R&B? Latin? Voice over? Cereal commercials?
:freak:

War

Yes it is serious one of the singers wants to buy a good pre and a microphone. We want this combo just for recording vocals.

• Members

please tell me you don't have a bunch of cheap foam and blankets hanging on the walls. If had a nickel for every person that spent $5000.00 or more on a nice mic or pre amp and have zero room treatment I would be a freaken millionaire!! Ok enough of the rant today. :cry::D

Glenn

• Members

I own the Manley Gold Reference/Manley Voxbox combination, and I have to say that it sounds pretty good to me. I was planning on buying the Brauner KHE mic on ebay that ended yesterday, but someone did the evil deed of the dreaded "buy-it-now" and beat me to the punch!

Stephen

• Members

The Brauner VM1-KHE sold for $7500 on the "buy-it-now". I wasn't going to go that high, but I was willing to go a bit over $6000. I finished second. Again.

Ah, well, there is always something else exciting on Ebay!

Stephen

• Members

You just missed a nice u47 on ebay although it went a bit high and who knows what shape the capsule was in.

I got a really good Telefunken u47 recently and it has changed everything for me.

It is a sound i have heard for years and didn't realize how important it is.

If you buy a 47 it will be worth a thousand more next year and the year after etc. If you buy a manley gold reference or sound deluxe or Brauner, you may(will) loose a thousand a year, and i bet neither make your dinky as hard.

Look for a good serviced one with a good M7 capsule for around 6500-7000 us, they are out there.

There's a nice shortbody U47 that has been gone over by the folks at BLUE at Gtr Ctr San Bernardino... I don't recall what they're asking for it, but it looked prety clean. But I have personally refused to get a "real" U47 due to the prices for VF-14's. :eek:

Ideally, you really need to try the mic out. I don't think I would recommend that anyone make a $5K + mic purchase for a specific singer without doing some serious auditioning first.

• Members

Originally posted by halljams

If you buy a 47 it will be worth a thousand more next year and the year after etc. If you buy a manley gold reference or sound deluxe or Brauner, you may(will) loose a thousand a year, and i bet neither make your dinky as hard.

my brauner vm1-khe is priceless to me. i will probably never sell it. however, i am almost 100% positive that it will get more and more valuable (steadily) over the next 5-10 years, being that only 100 were made and they were extremely rare and expensive when they were still in production. people still want them. a lot of people. i know 20 guys in new york alone that are kicking themselves for not buying one while they could and would pay more than $11k for one today.

and regarding it's sound...it was custom tweaked for ME. to sound exactly how i want it. no other mic is like that. yeah, a great condition U47 is awesome, but a mic that is exactly what i asked for in every way is far more desirable to me. and i've used plenty of great U47s. and i still like my VM1-KHE a lot more. end of story.

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

There's a nice shortbody U47 that has been gone over by the folks at BLUE at Gtr Ctr San Bernardino... I don't recall what they're asking for it, but it looked prety clean.

Is this one of the ones where they mod it so it doesn't use the VF-14?

• Members

Hi there, Halljams. . .

. . . wanna make a bet?

Since a vintage U47 is by definition, used, and I bought my Manley Gold used on Ebay, I maintain that my Manley will NOT lose a thousand per year. I paid $3000, and the thing is mint as new.

Since I've had it for one year now, your bet is that if I listed it on Ebay it would bring $2000 today and only $1000 a year from now. It will be worthless two years from now according to your theory.

I'll list it a year from today and we'll see if it brings closer to $3000 (my contention) or $1000 (your contention). Be sure and remind me, guys, so that we can conduct the experiment.

The only real hit that one takes when buying new is the "new car hit." After that, things sort of sell for what they should be selling for. For example, whereas the Avalon AD2055 (regular edition) sells new for $3600, it routinely sells on Ebay for between $2000 and $2200. And it has for the two years I've been watching them. (Luckily, I got mine for $1900.)

But such is the life of an economist. We always win our bets. . . but we aren't particularly popular for it.

Too bad, really.

Stephen

• Members

Originally posted by umkcprof

Hi there, Halljams. . .

. . . wanna make a bet?

Since a vintage U47 is by definition, used, and I bought my Manley Gold used on Ebay, I maintain that my Manley will NOT lose a thousand per year. I paid $3000, and the thing is mint as new.

Since I've had it for one year now, your bet is that if I listed it on Ebay it would bring $2000 today and only $1000 a year from now. It will be worthless two years from now according to your theory.

I'll list it a year from today and we'll see if it brings closer to $3000 (my contention) or $1000 (your contention). Be sure and remind me, guys, so that we can conduct the experiment.

The only real hit that one takes when buying new is the "new car hit." After that, things sort of sell for what they should be selling for. For example, whereas the Avalon AD2055 (regular edition) sells new for $3600, it routinely sells on Ebay for between $2000 and $2200. And it has for the two years I've been watching them. (Luckily, I got mine for $1900.)

But such is the life of an economist. We always win our bets. . . but we aren't particularly popular for it.

Too bad, really.

Stephen

I think you are missing the point.

The guy who bought it new lost 2500 dollars on it.

You got in at a got spot with the thing, good for you.

• Members

No. . . you missed the point.

Comparing a NEW Brauner with a VINTAGE (USED) anything is like apples and oranges. You have to compare new to new or used to used, not new to used. Those Neumann's experienced quite a hit in value a year or two after they were originally purchased, as well, and only rose in value slowly as they became vintage mics over time. The same thing is likely to happen with many modern "classics," as well.

New things will almost always take a "new car" hit. That's why I always recommend buying things in great shape on ebay, whenever possible.

Stephen

• Members

Originally posted by umkcprof

No. . . you missed the point.

Comparing a NEW Brauner with a VINTAGE (USED) anything is like apples and oranges. You have to compare new to new or used to used, not new to used. Those Neumann's experienced quite a hit in value a year or two after they were originally purchased, as well, and only rose in value slowly as they became vintage mics over time. The same thing is likely to happen with many modern "classics," as well.

New things will almost always take a "new car" hit. That's why I always recommend buying things in great shape on ebay, whenever possible.

Stephen

As long as you feel good about your situation i guess that is all that matters. You seem very defensive.

I'm sorry if this issue upsets you.

Archived