When do you let someone play your guitar?

RoboCop00

• Members

Once, the guitarist in my band popped a string on his backup guitar after he'd just popped one on his main axe. I immediately tossed my guitar over to him since, as the keyboardist, I could do the part on keys. He did the same for me once; I played guitar in a band opening for our band and I popped a string. He immediately ran over and got his guitar, and gave it to me for the remainder of the set (2 songs).

There's a dear friend who I will NEVER let play my guitars. Twice in my life, he carelessly laid an axe of mine against a wall and both times the instrument fell. Twice is no accident, so he doesn't get to use them anymore.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by jdjonsson

Anybody, as long as I know they can play. I like to hear my guitars making prettier sounds than I can produce :
:freak::wave:

+1 That's exactly what I was going to say. On several occasions I was at a point that I didn't think I liked this or that about one of my guitars. So I start looking into new pups or whatever. Then a friend, who can actually play, comes over and starts jamming on it. I suddenly realized that my guitar was fine. It was the owner who sucked. :) Actually, it's a tad bit depressing.

• Members

I let eveyone play mine, a Gibson Les Paul Deluxe and MIA Fat Strat Deluxe. If they don't know what they're doing I do get a little nervous and pay close attention. If they are player I'll actually say "hey try the Strat or try the LP". I actually enjoy being able to listen to my guitars being played by a decent guitarist.

• Members

Strangers never, but I don't leave them sitting out on display or take them to parties. Often I'll let a guitar playing friend play one because I want to hear what they can get out of it. I may even ask them to play it.

If it's a close guitar playing friend or family member I may even let them have it on a long term loan. One friend has had a bass of mine for a yer or so. My bro-in-law has had an acoustic fro over a year. And his son, my 12 year old nephew has a tele copy that I like a lot. But I now none of these people are going to abuse them.

Then, I have 12 guitars, and my wife is always glad to have one less guitar in the house.

But like I said, I don't take them to parties or leave them out for everyone to see. So the only people who would even know to ask for one are friends and family who know me well.

Archived