When do you let someone play your guitar?

RoboCop00

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's definately hands off! Only at a gig if my other guitar player needs a back-up...and maybe three other people in this world...

We were playing a 4th of July party and the drunks were all thinking they'd have their 15 minutes of fame if some chick saw them with a guitar in their hands. i went to the can and came back and they were basically lined up to {censored} with all our gear...I was so pissed...and our buddy Bob was just watching . Of course he was hammered too, so i guess I can't blame him.

We ran those assholes out like they were terrorists...Now it always goes in the case when I leave the room in a situation like that, unless my boys are staying with the gear.

• Members

if i would be side by side and watching i guess i would have nearly everbody give a try. but i would not borrow any of my guitars to anybody for any occasion if i could not be there, and i guess i would nobody have a gig with one of my axes....

...but for me, it's not a big issue, cause i'm a lefty nobody can and want to play my guitars :D

• Members

i usually let everyone play my guitars. but there was one time i was really close to pulling the plug because we were jamming with this "singer" and the practice came to a halt while he was playing my guitar. in addition, he was beating the {censored} out of my esp eclipse. i could hear the top begging for mercy. also, he got his greasy mcdonalds eating hands all over my new strings.

• Members

Umm...

I dont give a rats ass who plays with my guitar. I let my drunk and stoned buddies play it all the time.

The guitar is 20 YEARS old. It already has a nice collection of scratches and dents all over it...

Might be different If it was something of real value ($2000+) but guitars looking "perfect" doesn't matter to me. A slab of wood with some strings tuned to EADGBE and im all set.

:cool:

• Members

I don't normally mind if one of my guitar playing friends, or my brother wants to just try out one of my nicer guitars for a moment - i.e. my heritage h140, or my gibson sg. They usually understand the value of these instruments and are pretty careful. They also know I am careful with my guitars in general.

However, if during practice at my house one of their guitars loses a string or something, and they don't have a backup - then I don't bring out my nicer guitars, I let them use my MIM strat beater, or my Ibanez AR250...ones that I am admittedly not as careful with.

I don't think that is too unreasonable. If you owned a brand new BMW and a beat up honda civic, which would you let your friends borrow to drive to work for a day, and which one would you let take for a quick test drive?

• Members

Originally posted by Richard Guy

When they are sitting down and have removed their belt.

That seems quite reasonable.

Add to that "and washed their hands and blown their nose" and you have my criteria.

I don't like to get too precious about guitars. An electric guitar that can't take a bit of abuse ain't an electric guitar worth havin'.

Archived