Pressing a CD

TRU

• Members

What are your thoughts on duplication vs. replication?

- I am a singer-songwriter making a 4 song EP (possibly 6 songs).

- I think I may give it away for free, like Joe Pug did with his first EP.

- It will also be available digitally.

- I may also purchase digital download cards and sell those.

- My aim is to get something into people's hands...NOT create my "masterpiece." So I am thinking that duplicating rather than replicating is a good way to save some money and still get my goal accomplished.

What do you all think of this?

• Moderators

Most places won't replicate (glass masters) a run of under a thousand units anyway.

They'll do 500 for about the same $$$ as 1,000. Probably the machine just spits out 1,000 as usual then they throw away 500 or hold them for your reorder. ;)

Regarding selling vs. giving away: one of the guys who regularly opens for us gives his (pressed) CDs away. It's so important to him that people hear his work that he actually has a display where people can take a copy on their way out of the venue.

HOWEVER... he told me the depressing news last week that he routinely finds dozens of his CDs discarded out in the parking lot, lawn, trash, etc... unopened. I guess people can't resist picking up anything that's free but they can resist opening and listening to it or even taking it to their car. :freak:

Our friend picks up the discards, wipes them off, and "re-gifts" them at the next show. :facepalm:

Terry D.

• Moderators

either way, you are picking up the tab for the glass master...where you get a slight savings will be in how many stampers they have to 'grow' (electroform).

For a 'giveaway EP, I would go with duplication and lightscibe art... generally, you can get this done very cheaply, at home witha PC and a compatible printer.

I have been looking at the possibility of recording a live show and using a highspeed duplicator where you could actually sell 50 copies of that show withing 10-15 minutes of the final song...the potential is there. I think this may be the best way to market a solo/duo, where pretty much the FOH is the final mix, and the new duplicators are pretty fast. Many of these machines will print at 4800dpi, too, so if you have your graphics pre-loaded, and sleeves ready...50 copies should be do-able.

• Members

he told me the depressing news last week that he routinely finds dozens of his CDs discarded out in the parking lot, lawn, trash, etc...
unopened
. I guess people can't resist picking up anything that's free but they can resist opening and listening to it or even taking it to their car.
:freak:

I see this happen frequently. For that reason, we charge $3 for a five-song duplicated EP (three new songs, two older remixes) and reserve the actual replication for a full-length album. People are hesitant to throw away something they just paid for.

We still do color front and back cover art and on-disc printing, so that roughly covers our costs regardless of quantity. However, in our case, it's also cost effective because the new songs are still ending up on an album, so they're sort of dual-purpose. Plus, the same EP serves as our demo/promo.

• Members

I have been in the CD and DVD replication industry for several years and there are several things to consider when looking at duplication vs. replication. A duplicated CD will not play in about 20% of CD players in North America. It will play in every computer and most home CD players but the issue occurs mostly in car audio players. Car audio players and built differently then computer and home stereo CD players. The pricing on replicated CD's has come way down over the past couple of years for many reasons but with our company you are looking at about $340 for a replicated CD with full color, offset print. (Photo quality print directly on the disc face) The reason the final costs to replicate 500 vs 1,000 is you have many fixed costs built into your first run. You have glass mastering and a stamper that must be made and then you have the setup time to manufacture and print the discs. Let me know how I can help with any questions from replication, duplication and print and packaging. You can check out our website at www.digitalworks-inc.com or give me a call on my cell at 817-235-0577 and I can get pricing to you within a few minutes. We don't believe in hidden costs and our turn around time is much faster than most replicators. Have a blessed day.

• Moderators

Try taking a CD-R and playing it in multiple car CD players and see how many will play. Now a CD-R will play on any computer. You shouldn't have any problems there at all.

I did just that.

I devised a controlled factorial design experiment using factors of car, home, computer for player, factors for brand of CDR, an factors for burn speed. Not one of the car stereos I tried failed to play a CDR burned at 8x or less, using quality media. One old car stereo would not play the cheapest CDRs I tried, ones with metal so thin you could literally read text through them.

Six car players were used in my test, ranging from a new vehicle to one with a stock radio that was 11 years old.

Terry D.

• Moderators

I have been in the CD and DVD replication industry for several years and there are several things to consider when looking at duplication vs. replication. A duplicated CD will not play in about 20% of CD players in North America. It will play in every computer and most home CD players but the issue occurs mostly in car audio players. Car audio players and built differently then computer and home stereo CD players. The pricing on replicated CD's has come way down over the past couple of years for many reasons but with our company you are looking at about $340 for a replicated CD with full color, offset print. (Photo quality print directly on the disc face) The reason the final costs to replicate 500 vs 1,000 is you have many fixed costs built into your first run. You have glass mastering and a stamper that must be made and then you have the setup time to manufacture and print the discs. Let me know how I can help with any questions from replication, duplication and print and packaging. You can check out our website at
www.digitalworks-inc.com
or give me a call on my cell at 817-235-0577 and I can get pricing to you within a few minutes. We don't believe in hidden costs and our turn around time is much faster than most replicators. Have a blessed day.

This was an issue over a decade ago...I too was in the replication biz, with the largest replication company in the USA at the time (T.O.M.S.). We knew there were a number of issues among different manufacturers' optical systems, and those issues have pretty much been standardized out of the equation...since around 2000/1. Where you will run into issues is with the low end CDR (as Mr. Knobs, my educated associate discovered) and with dust accumulating in the car player (it happens). If the optical reader is cleaned regularly, there should be no problems.

Archived