Pickup height???

MattACaster

• Members

I've played around with pickup height; it definitely makes a difference in sound/sensitivity. Seems like Harmonics are effected allot by pickup height too. (Active EMGs seemed to act a little differently then passive pickups)
I think allot of it has to do with where in the pickup's magnetic field the wire is, and just finding the sweet spot.
I adjusted my pickups one side (bass/treble sides) a little at a time and listened to the subtle changes until I liked the way it sounded. I used harmonics allot to get the sound I was looking for.
I've only done this to one guitar (my metal guitar) but it made a difference, and I should probably do it to the rest of my axes.
I used to just have my pickups as close as I could to the strings for the highest level of output, but realized that isn't necessarily the best way after playing with them for a bit.
Thanks for posting this because it's a reminder to me to re adjust my pickup as I just put different/bigger strings on.

• Members

Originally posted by PhantomNoodler

I've played around with pickup height; it definitely makes a difference in sound/sensitivity. Seems like Harmonics are effected allot by pickup height too. (Active EMGs seemed to act a little differently then passive pickups)

I think allot of it has to do with where in the pickup's magnetic field the wire is, and just finding the sweet spot.

I adjusted my pickups one side (bass/treble sides) a little at a time and listened to the subtle changes until I liked the way it sounded. I used harmonics allot to get the sound I was looking for.

I've only done this to one guitar (my metal guitar) but it made a difference, and I should probably do it to the rest of my axes.

I used to just have my pickups as close as I could to the strings for the highest level of output, but realized that isn't necessarily the best way after playing with them for a bit.

Thanks for posting this because it's a reminder to me to re adjust my pickup as I just put different/bigger strings on.

Thanks for the input! I've been toying with the idea of messing with the heights on my guitars but I'm always afraid I'll mess with something and never get it back to the way it was if I don't like it. So I figured I'd ask around here first and see what people have to say.

• Members

Most guitars don't come from the factory set up very well to begin with, so you shouldn't worry too much about moving your pickup height.

I have a book at home that has the recommended pickup heights, below the strings, I could post that later tonight if no one has beat me to it.

But there definitley is an issue to adjusting them up and down to personal preference and to balance out the output from neck to bridge.

But if you do get too close to the strings, the magnetic pull of the magnets can reduce your sustain and mud your tone out a bit.

• Members

Originally posted by GAS Man

Most guitars don't come from the factory set up very well to begin with, so you shouldn't worry too much about moving your pickup height.

*scratches head*

dont u mean, 'most guitars don't come set up well, so you SHOULD worry about moving pickups'?????

• Members

Originally posted by Guerrilla

*scratches head*

dont u mean, 'most guitars don't come set up well, so you SHOULD worry about moving pickups'?????

No, he means that lots of guitars come with the pickup heights randomly set. So you shouldn't worry about messing up the "default" heights because they most likely aren't correct anyway.

• Members

Originally posted by peavey_impact

No, he means that lots of guitars come with the pickup heights randomly set. So you shouldn't worry about messing up the "default" heights because they most likely aren't correct anyway.

Exactly, Thanks.

Even if by chance they were factory set up relatively correct in relationship to the strings, most likely the action isn't going to be optimal.

So I eventually get around to adjusting the neck, adjusting the saddle heights, then adjusting the pickup heights.

I just don't do nuts. I'm afraid to touch my nuts! So I hope my nuts are close enough, but if not, I've been bringing that little job to a luthier for a quick fix. The rest of the job I'm comfortable enough to do by myself.

Archived