Roland Micro-cube

cincy_cosmo

• Members

Just got a Micro-cube delivered from Sweetwater. I bought it sight unseen as I was just wanting a battery powered amp. I was expecting the worse for sound, and OMG, it actually sounds pretty good!

Any others out there use them and what can I expect for battery life? The manual says 20 hours. I have a hard time believing that.

• Members

You know, it's funny.

About two years ago I walked into a local music store and heard a guy playing through one and it sounded amazing for such a tiny little amp.

I came back here and posted about the experience and how blown away I was that such a small cheap amp could sound so good.

My thread was met with a lot people talking about how they've played them and they sound like crap. I mean, 90% of the thread was people talking about how {censored}ty the amp sounds.

It was just a few months later (probably about the same amount of time it took for a bunch of people to actually play one) that threads started popping up with overwhelmingly positive response to this little wonder.

I never bought one, but only because I don't really need a small battery powered amp.

• Members

It's a great practice amp. The sound is unbelievably good for such a small package.

I bought an Epiphone Valve Junior (same price as Microcube but true Class A) yesterday and put them side to side. Not only is the Microcube 1/4 the size, it pretty much matched the sound of the "real" tube amp up until very high volumes.

Can't go wrong for $120.

• Members

Originally posted by kirs

I bought an Epiphone Valve Junior (same price as Microcube but true Class A) yesterday and put them side to side. Not only is the Microcube 1/4 the size, it pretty much matched the sound of the "real" tube amp up until very high volumes.

so... will you return the Epi, then?

• Members

I've been tempted to buy one, but now I see that Vox is coming out with their own 5 watt version of their ADVT series.

So I'll have to compare the Vox to the Roland before I decided.

My experience has been that Vox is a little better on the tone, but Roland is better on the reliability/durability.

• Members

Originally posted by GAS Man

I've been tempted to buy one, but now I see that Vox is coming out with their own 5 watt version of their ADVT series.

So I'll have to compare the Vox to the Roland before I decided.

My experience has been that Vox is a little better on the tone, but Roland is better on the reliability/durability.

reliability/durability might be a concern, especially for an amp that is really meant to be portable and therefore exposed to the hard life on the road ;)

• Members

Originally posted by guitarcapo

I love mine but I wish it had a line out to plug it into a PA for gigs...That and maybe the clean channel could be as loud as the drive channels. Seems like most amps have a hard time with that.

Mine has a jack on the back for "Rec Out/Phones". I just plugged it straight into my board and it seemed to work OK for me. Maybe they revised the model.

• Members

I flat out love mine. I wanted something with a bettery to take tailgating, camping, and out on the boat. I used the same batteries all summer long and they're still going strong. I bought two extra sets of batteries, but haven't touched them yet.

I'm also using it at home late at night with headphones.

I think the amp is utterly amazing at delivering so much in such a small package. I got mine at GC last June for $99 with an instant rebate at GC.

PaulS

• Members

Great amp, im having to survive on mine while my main amp is being repaired. Its so handy to have a compact amp that sounds good and is so versatile. Only trouble i have is getting enough clean volume, but it can hardly be blamed considering its size.

• Members

A couple months ago I got a call to come to a gig to play some lead guitar and back up a solo singer songwriter with an acoustic guitar. I was told it was going to be low-key and just bring a small amp. So I just brought my Tele, an old DigiTech RP10 fx unit, and my Micro Cube. When I get there, I see someone setting up a full drum kit, a bass player with a huge amp, two keyboard players, and percussionists. I practically turned around and walked out the door. But I though, what the hell, I'll give it a shot. Amazingly the Micro Cube was able to cut it. It wasn't a loud gig, but still... My clean tone was breaking up more than I would have liked, but was useable, and my lead tone totally cut right through. My DigiTech does have a pre-amp in it, which gave me a little boost, but I was still amazed that the Micro Cube was able to keep up

in a group with that many musicians playing.

Archived