Recommend me a string brand

Faber

• Members

I've been a D'addario user most all my playing life, like the sounds of the XLs. However, lately the strings have been of an appaling quality. I've had the ball ends unwind themselves on at least one string in each of the last 6-7 sets I've used. So I'm looking for a more reliable brand, that basically sound the same as the XLs

Any info you can give me?

• Members

I just bought some DR's

I havent tried them yet

I've used Elixers
I dont notice a worse sound quality from the coated strings, but its been a few months since I tried them last

Ernie Balls are always a great cheap alternative, I'll usually keep spare singles of these in my case

I like to change my strings at least once a month so I dont care if they're supposed to "last longer" (Elixer), I just like the crisp sound of fresh strings

• Members

I freakin hate daddarios... they break constantly plus I don't like the tone

Can't really help ya much cuz everybody is different when it comes to strings... IF you've never done it before... Go to a music store and buy 10 different packs of strings and put them on the same guitar over a 1 or 2 day period

You'll find drastic changes in your sound between string sets... Once you find a set you like then experiment with string guages

For me... I like Dean Markley nickel steel electric on my humbucker LP type guitars.. I use 10-46s tuned to standard....11-52s tuned half a step down... and Ernie Ball "not even slinky" for drop D and lower tunings

Experiment!!!! There are a lot of guys who will change their pickups, or speakers looking for a sound... when all they really needed was a different set of strings.

• Members

Just ordered 6 sets of these things to go on my dropped tuning guitar. 14-56! 24$!!!!! if they don't sound like angels farting through my guitar I guess it's no big deal, I just want the buzz gone. http://cgi.ebay.com/ELECTRIC-14-56-GUITAR-STRINGS-SUPER-FAT-6-Ea_W0QQitemZ7343870231QQcategoryZ33040QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Members

Originally posted by dinrodef

Can't really help ya much cuz everybody is different when it comes to strings... IF you've never done it before... Go to a music store and buy 10 different packs of strings and put them on the same guitar over a 1 or 2 day period

Experiment!!!! There are a lot of guys who will change their pickups, or speakers looking for a sound... when all they really needed was a different set of strings.

Right you are!! I've mostly experimented with picks over the years, and the change that such a simple thing can bring is amazing.

did the string comparison years ago. Probably 10 years (damned, I'm getting on). Probably should do it again. Found that I liked the sound of the XLs best, followed by the Vinci strings. Problem is, that the new Vincis doesn't sound like (i remember) they used to.

I started out on Dean Markleys. Back then, I found D'addarios more reliable

• Members

Originally posted by WhiskeyBucket

Just ordered 6 sets of these things to go on my dropped tuning guitar. 14-56! 24$!!!!! if they don't sound like angels farting through my guitar I guess it's no big deal, I just want the buzz gone.

14-56?!?! How low do you tune? The highest I've ever gone in standard tuning was a set of 12s, during my SRV worship period.

• Members

I am DR all the way. Have tried them all. DRs have a very long life, don't break easy, and sound great even after the break in period. I prefer the Tite-Fit and if out of those (as GC often is), the Hi-Beams are good as well, they are brighter though. So for a Strat, Tele, or Ric -- Hi-Beams sound great, for LPs or SGs, Tite Fit. Take that as single coil (Hi-Beam) vs humbucker (Tite-Fit).

I recently tried several other brands again and realized that DR is still the best. I do like Ernie Ball Slinkys, but they tend to break really easy and don't last long -- but do they ever sound good! Ones I tried that didn't do it for me recently and this only for electric guitar, I do use these brands on my bass, acoustics and baritones with success: Blue Steel, Elixer, GHS, and Xavier (bought on a whim with a GFS order and they really suck ass).

On my new SG Classic, it has the stock Gibson strings, which are fantastic as well. I am really liking them. I plan on buying another set at a little thicker gauge and trying those.

• Members

I'm going to have to say Dean Markley Blue Steels. I really like the way they ring out, they simply sing. Don't lose tone for about 5+ weeks, in my experience. My second choice is GHS Boomers, all around good strings.

I used to use D'addarios, but noticed the same slip in quality a couple years back that Faber mentioned. GHS are basically the same as far as sound, lifespan, durability.

• Members

I use Ernie Ball slinkies. I don't really care for GHS, had issues with them breaking more than the ernie Ball's. One brand I will say that ya need to avoid is SIT! Those are some cheap nasty strings and only last about 2 days, if you only strum lightly, and never ever use the trem to dive bomb. They come with an extra high e and b string, but there's a reason for that ;)

• Members

I can't really tell much of a difference between D'Addarios and DRs. Have had no problems with D'Addario but with DR I've had a few A-strings that simply won't intonate no matter what. Others have experienced the same issue. I don't have string breaking issues, period.

Archived