How do YOU connect your guitar to PC?

Fireproof

• Members

Okay guys, post up!! I currently am looking to connect my guitar to my PC for some possible recording or messing around with something like Guitar Rig 2, etc.

I'm interested in knowing what HARDWARE people are using to do this.

It seems like USB (or Firewire) would be the best way to go, but I haven't done a lot of research yet.

Thanks!

• Members

I have a TonePort UX1. It's freaking great. If you do a search, I did a thread on it a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't find a better, less expensive solution. I highly recommend it.

I am running it in to a 3 year old AMD 2000+ machine with 512MB of RAM, with no special sound card and it is sweet....

BTW, I am using it right now as I stand at my computer!!!

• Members

Originally posted by Fireproof

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll check into it. That's what I need - is names of things to search/research. The only thing I know of for starters is Line6 Guitar Port.

By the way, I like your "O" face, LOL!!

:thu:

I was going to get a Guitar Port. I felt the the extra $30 for the TonePort was a better deal. It includes the recording software and tools that cost and extra $90 if you go the Guitar Port route.

• Members

Originally posted by cfgsteak

I was going to get a Guitar Port. I felt the the extra $30 for the TonePort was a better deal. It includes the recording software and tools that cost and extra $90 if you go the Guitar Port route.

Yeah, that's a good point. It seems to me to be the one to get if you are looking to RECORD, versus just jam through the PC.

(LOL - I deleted my mention of Guitar Port because I didn't want to bias any replies, but you had already seen and quoted it before while I was doing that. No biggie. It'll still be interesting to see if there are other non-Line6 options that people love.)

Thanks again for the feedback.

• Members

Originally posted by cfgsteak

I have a TonePort UX1. It's freaking great. If you do a search, I did a thread on it a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't find a better, less expensive solution. I highly recommend it.

I am running it in to a 3 year old AMD 2000+ machine with 512MB of RAM, with no special sound card and it is sweet....

BTW, I am using it right now as I stand at my computer!!!

+1, seems like a solid package! I bought the UX2, but I

• Members

I use the Guitar Port. I didn't pay the extra $90 for Rifftracker and I can record just fine. However, there was no such thing as Tone Port when I bought the Guitar Port.

Basically it comes down to this: if you want a tool solely focused on recording - yeah, by all means get a Tone Port, I certainly would.

For me though, I want the online content that Guitar Port offers - lessons, backing tracks, etc. I have a pretty versatile soundcard setup so I'm able to easily record with it as is.

~Blackbelt

• Members

Originally posted by Blackbelt1

I use the Guitar Port. I didn't pay the extra $90 for Rifftracker and I can record just fine. However, there was no such thing as Tone Port when I bought the Guitar Port.

Basically it comes down to this: if you want a tool solely focused on recording - yeah, by all means get a Tone Port, I certainly would.

For me though, I want the online content that Guitar Port offers - lessons, backing tracks, etc. I have a pretty versatile soundcard setup so I'm able to easily record with it as is.

~Blackbelt

Good points. I would still consider a Guitar Port in addition to the Tone Port for the features you mentioned, Blackbelt. You are actually the guy that got me interested in the Ports in the first place! Thanks! :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Blackbelt1

~Blackbelt

I was looking for you Blackbelt. I'm another who believes the Guitar Port is the best for the buck.

• Members

I used the Guitarport, but recently, the GP workls fine for a while and then depnds those ghost clicks, almost like stunted delays. Can't seem to get around it. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software and even tried older drivers.

But, when it worked it was great, since it connected via USB it meant I didn;t have to worry about balancing to the input of my soundcard.

-Y.

• Members

Originally posted by GibsonQC

I run the headphone out of my Mesa combo into my Microcube (to add fx) and then into my audio card's line in. Then, I just use Audacity or Cubase to record. I'm very interested in getting a guitar port or tone port after all these comments, though!

Your Mesa has a headphone out?

What do you do about the power amp output?

-Y.

• Members

Originally posted by gibsgstd1999

I have a decent vocal mic, which I run in front of my Peavey Classic 30. I run the mic into my Creative extenal sound card. I still think guitar through real amp sounds the best:)

It definitely does. But, I use the GP, and it gives a lot of excellent sounds. I would go the TonePort route now though. It is basically the same thing, but with recording.

Archived