Best 16 - 24 Ch for under $4k

• Members

I stand corrected, the 24/80 is designed for live use, and while it has direct outs, it does not have the FW option.

A Mackie HDR is a fantastic choice if you want to set up a hybrid digital analog studio such as we have here. The HDR is a rock solid unit, capable of 24 tracks at 24 bit 48k. However, it is NOT a daw, and requires a console and all the associated outboard electronics, dynamics, fx, etc, as well as a mixdown platform to be a complete studio control room. It does however have extensive editing capabilities.

That being said, I can't say enough about the quality and reliability of the HDR. 6+ years with no problems whatsoever and heavy daily usage.

If you want to mix in the box, you can import and open HDR sessions directly into Mackies Tracktion.

The HDR was discontinued, but they are available on e-bay and Craigslist occasionally for very reasonable money.

The HDR does not have mic pres, it can be outfitted with either analog AIO-8 cards, (the same as the Mackie D8b console) or a variety of digital cards.

+1 for the HDR.

Well, other than at trade shows, I have not used the Onyx preamps, but that is about to change; I'm going to be contributing to Craig's Onyx Satellite Pro Review, and it just arived here a couple of days ago. I'll be able to do direct comparisons between the two of them.

The preamps on the 01V96 are pretty darned good. Compared to the previous generation Yamaha preamps, such as those found in the AW4416, thy have more gain on tap (65 dB vs the previous 45 dB), and they're also quieter and just better sounding overall. I never hesitate to use them, because IMO, they sound very good. :)

• Members

Well, I just found out about the MOTU 8Pre, darn! I don't want the 1200f for sure because I'd rather just have three MOTU 8Pre for the price of one.

So I could either go with one 1640 for now, or two MOTU 8Pre's. Hmm... IF I went with the two 8Pres, I would have 34 inputs.

Man, I don't know what to do. I have about $950 now and should have $1400 by Tuesday.

Please give me some opinions (other options) guys. Are MOTU's pre crap compared to the Onyx?

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by wooden

Hey phil do you mix in the box or in your mixer with the computer for playback only?

I've done some stuff ITB, but usually I take a hybrid approach. I use PT for all my automation, or the majority of it. Most audio gets sent to the board as individual tracks (kicks, snares, ld vocals, bass) or as stereo submixes (guitars, keyboards, drum overheads and toms, etc). I use effects in PT, as well as the four onboard the 01V96, as well as outboard stuff via aux sends / returns off the Yamaha to outboard hardware units. EQ and compression can be either on the board or plug ins... it all depends. :)

Archived