Facebook wins Myspace

ciperlone

• Members

Myspace is now My_____BETA (why is it still beta???), and with the new flash advertisement it became lazyer than ever.

Petitions are running in profile's comments, to "Get the old Myspace back!"

Facebook is becoming more popular and addicted (Mark Zuckerberg affirms that 50% of facebook users come back the NEXT day; my friends talk about facebook in social conversations, when they used to ask if I've watched or listened some new thing on TV and radio), and ReverbNation is winning ground with all the free services and tools they have to offer to musicians.

As Randy Ramirez puts in his letter to fans, explaining why he's deleting his myspace profile:

Myspace used to have 300 million active users. They now have 66 million active users as of June 2010. That's a 78% drop off. They are also ranked #50 on Alexa ranking which analyzes website traffic. Facebook remains at #2 in the Alexa ranking right behind google. Facebook currently has 600 million active users. That is double what Myspace had at it's highest point.

Myspace is becoming an obsolete tool for musicians, but I've decided to try it. I was suprised enough to discover that it still works, even in this annoying BETA version.

Although, for many listeners, myspace is THE site for musicians to share music. Correction: to spam music.

But it's not easy to promote on Facebook, unless you have money to buy some adds...

What are your insigts?

What is your experience?

Which do you prefer and use most?

• Members

I resisted MySpace for a long time. It wasn't until our band's frontman set up a profile for us that we had any social networking presence at all, as I was only concerned with having a traditional website. MySpace was initially a pretty useful tool, both for exposure to new listeners and for booking, but between legitimate (but annoying) advertisements and an increasing amount of spyware, it has been less and less tolerable to use. Now, it's so slow that I only check our messages once or twice a week, and don't bother trying to conduct any serious business.

Unfortunately, Facebook still isn't "there" the way I see it. I'm concentrating 100% on updating our band website as we get closer to releasing a new album, and will only work on our barebones Facebook page when I can truly take the time to do it right. We'll maintain our MySpace page until the bitter end as far as posting new music, but in terms of interaction, it's back to email for most of what we do online.

• Members

Myspace is only populated by musicians spamming each other. That and the ads that put scareware on your computer. Pretty much useless at this point.

I was in a band that rode the myspace wave 2003'ish. We went from a standard original band crowd to packed houses. This was thanks to myspace and our drummer utilizing it like nobody's business. When everyone got on myspace, it was huge, people would go out, see bands, etc. It prompted lots of people to go see live music. But...

The problem was that bands caught on, and all of the sudden there were countless inexperienced bands playing live shows. People got tired of paying $5 or $10 to see crap music being played poorly. So, they stopped going out. Right about the same time, myspace was so overflooded that people got tired of it. Then Facebook starts to take over their user base....and it wasn't very friendly to bands.

The gap in Facebook band friendlyness and myspace dying was devestating for venues and bands alike. Only now are things beginning to turn around, but in my town we lost all the great venues to play.

These days it ONLY makes sense to have a Facebook page. But even then you are pretty lucky to have people like it unless they know you. Myspace is full of ads, and is SLOW. Not only that but they don't monitor their advertising partners, and as a result I got scareware on my machine TWICE. Never going to that site again.

In the end, I think it will all go back to what people want to see. If you are an amazing artist or live perfromer, word will get out. If you are medeocre...not so much.

Of course, as they say, this is just my experience. Yours might be different.

• Members

Facebook can kiss my ass! They're going public with Goldman Sachs and we stupid American's aren't good enough to buy in. This is all a scam!!

As a musician that always preferred Myspace I was always suspicious of the "myspace is dead" wave that seemed to enter the collective consciousness at the same time, nation wide! Nothing happens that fast on it's own!

Someone destroyed Myspace then spent millions creating a movie making Facebook out to be some kind of hero story. Now they're going public to a selected group of "preferred" foreign investors only? Can you say "stupid American suckers!"

These super wealthy will all get first place in line then turn around and sell off all this stock to the stupid proles in a few years when it's realized that Facebook will NOT be making a profit anytime soon! Read below:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_goldman_facebook

• Members

The only reason I go to Myspace is to check out unsigned or lesser known bands. I'd like to dump it altogether if there was a better site for that. Reverbnation has a lot of spam and spyware warnings associated with it, so I haven't looked at that.

• Members

Someone destroyed Myspace

Yeah... two million, four hundred thousand bands spamming everyone with their MySpace page link. THAT is what killed MySpace. Normal people left it to go to Facebook where they wouldn't get spammed by bands. That and the fact that Facebook was decent in their web design and features, and MySpace has always been terrible and is getting worse.

And now bands are the only people who still use MySpace, and they're spamming each other, essentially. It's the world's biggest Open Mic Night.

• Members

Yeah... two million, four hundred thousand bands spamming everyone with their MySpace page link.

That was a reason that was often given about six months after every woman I know started telling me that Myspace wasn't cool anymore and to meet her over on Facebook. I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying that from my memory, those "reasons" came much later than the initial exodus of "it's just not cool anymore". From my experience, someone somewhere says what IS and what ISN'T "cool" and everyone else falls in line.

• Members

Are there people who actually seek out bands they haven't heard of on any of these sites, at all? My cards have urls to reverb/bandcamp. But at that point, I physically gave them something. I don't send any digital invites. They obviously don't work/people don't care/people shouldn't care for good reason.

• Members

That was a reason that was often given about six months after every woman I know started telling me that Myspace wasn't cool anymore and to meet her over on Facebook. I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying that from my memory, those "reasons" came much later than the initial exodus of "
it's just not cool anymore
". From my experience, someone somewhere says what IS and what ISN'T "cool" and everyone else falls in line.

I'd agree with that definitely.

• Members

If you want to get attention, you toss your stuff up EVERYWHERE. But I personally think a serious artist needs their own URL, if for no other reason than the fact that it looks more professional.

I don't know if anyone goes anywhere to "find" bands. I could be wrong. If there IS a place, it's probably YouTube.

• Members

If there IS a place, it's probably YouTube.

That's how I find 'em these days. Found some great music that way. For example, that's how I found Cas Haley. I was searching for IZ video's and a Cas Haley song was in an IZ playlist. After hearing and seeing Cas Haley on Youtube, I bought his album via digital download from Amazon.

• Members

Can we just be blunt and say that since everyone and their brother can make a video and a CD, the percentage of stuff that it is crap is up to like 99%? Sometimes in some of these conversations I think we sort of sympathize with the unknown musician (which is us) and say "We need a system where everyone can get heard and get judged and get an equal shot and the cream will rise to the top." It won't happen. And as has been pointed out by several folks, the average consumer will not wade through the crap to find the gems. The industry needs a mechanism to wade through and find gems FOR people, but so far such a system has not yet materialized. If anyone figures out how to do that, they're going to be very rich.

I see many people here making the mistake that there ARE no gems in the crap, but they're wrong. They're in there. But they are very, very hard to find.

• Members

The industry needs a mechanism to wade through and find gems FOR people, but so far such a system has not yet materialized. If anyone figures out how to do that, they're going to be very rich.

I think you'd have to be very rich to implement such a system, with a tolerance for risk which not many people have. Which is why such a system hasn't materialized.

Record companies are owned by multinational corporations, so if anyone could do it they could -- and should, since they're the ones getting clobbered by the decline of the music industry. I think they're paralyzed by what's happening to sales. They're waiting to see what's going to happen instead of getting out there and making things happen. As we've seen in many areas of entertainment, these guys will take the safest, easiest route to profit. I'm afraid they'll just abandon the industry altogether if a quick fix doesn't present itself.

• Members

No, I meant that there should be a system for discovered talent that has already recorded themselves, not so much building a better record company. I mean that if I like James Taylor, and there's some guy out in Denver who has put out some CD's that I would love if I heard them, there ought to be a way to connect us. I don't mean a record company should sign the guy, put him on my local radio, and put him in my local stores. I mean there ought to be a website I could go to that said "Have you heard this guy? Check him out."

I thought at one point that a good way to try this would be to create a web site and find some people with really good taste in music for each genre, then pay them to scour the net and find these hidden gems. But it wouldn't work, because if these folks had any influence on the buying public, they'd be flooded with so much material they'd never be able to handle. And then the payoffs would start.

I couldn't even tell you what the number one site on the Internet is for discovering new music (other than YouTube.)

• Members

No, I meant that there should be a system for discovered talent that has already recorded themselves, not so much building a better record company. I mean that if I like James Taylor, and there's some guy out in Denver who has put out some CD's that I would love if I heard them, there ought to be a way to connect us. I don't mean a record company should sign the guy, put him on my local radio, and put him in my local stores. I mean there ought to be a website I could go to that said "Have you heard this guy? Check him out."

Sounds like you are describing Pandora.

Archived