top 5 guitarists

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 6 months later...
  • Members

Let's face it, there have been so many great guitar players in the world, and choosing who's best between them is more a matter of personal taste. So here's my list of my top five unsung heros:

1. Lenny Breau - unlike many greats, Lenny could play any and all types of music and give it his signature stamp. I first discovered him, because I was into Chet Atkins and bought Lenny and Chet "Standard Brands". I believe that was the best record Chet ever did, and he wasn't even the headliner.

2. Mickey Baker - Much sought after session player from the 50s and 60s. Scored a hit as Mickey and Sylvia. People in the know claim he had as much to do with crafting the rock and roll sound on record as anyone. He recorded "Wildest Guitar" (a true masterpiece) in the late 50s and then disappeared never to be heard from again.

3. Clarence Gatemouth Brown - A master of all styles, this guy used to regularly beat the legendary T-Bone Walker in "cutting" contests.

4. Jorma Kaukonen - Had more commercial success than the other three (mostly with Jefferson Airplane) but still doesn't get the credit he deserves IMO.

5. Melvin Taylor - Blues, Jazz great that evokes fear in the hearts of other guitar players, but for some reason is not widely known outside of Chicago.

• Members

I guess top favorites, kind of in order but not really. First 11 those who influenced me in my current playing style. Second 11, those I am just in awe of and like to listen a lot to but was not really influenced by as much stylistically:

1. Tony Iommi: Black Sabbath
2. Jerry Cantrell: Alice in Chains
3. Josh Homme: Kyuss era, current QOTSA
4. Angus Young: AC/DC
5. Alex Lifeson: Rush
6. James Hetfield: Metallica
7. Adam Jones: Tool
8. Dave Mustaine: Megadeth
9. Dave Murray and Adrian Smith: Iron Maiden
10. Randy Rhoades: Ozzy
11. Piggy: Voivod

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Duane Allman and Dicky Betts
3. Eric Clapton
4. SRV
5. Jimmy Page
6. BB King
7. Buckethead
8. Pete Townsend
9. Georg Harrison
10. Frank Marino
11. David Gilmore

I am starting listen to more blues and that list will grow and starting to re-discover folks I used to listen to a lot more than I do now like Leslie West (Mountain), Mike Campbell (Tom Petty), Kim Thyall (Soundgarden), Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top), Tom Morello (RATM era), Scott Ian (early Anthrax), Richie Blackmore (DP era), Steve Howe (Yes), Gary Moore (hell all Thin Lizzy guitarists!), and Robby Kreiger (Doors).

• Members

John Petrucci-Single handedly the reason i wanted to play guitar in the first place. Incredulous chops, great tone, and he plays with feeling. Nuff said

Daniel Gildenlow-Hes pretty much the {censored}. He has a beatiful voice, is a great guitar player, and can play lots o different instruments.

Mikael Akerfeldt-Dude, amazing player. The single best death metal voice of all time(not too shabby at singing either)

Doug Ott- A very innovative player. He has in my opinion, the single best guitar tone you could possibly have. Its soo uber-smooth.

Jeff Loomis- Why this guy is not a household name is is a mystery to me. An absolute monster on guitar. He makes very good use of the seven string guitar also.
Honorable Mentions

Richie Kotzen
Eric Johnson
Satch'
Roine Stolt
Alan Morse

• Members

Here are a couple sleepers:

Paul Leary (Butthole Surfers). Took '65 era psych to the 23rd century

Larry Coryell (made me want to burn my guitars and jump in the flames)

And Django Reinhardt mankes me want to weep into my hands...

Most of the guys others have mentioned are mother{censored}ers, too.

• Members

Steve Morse - most articulate and finely tuned technique I'v ever seen and he grooves soooo well

Dave Gilmour - Roger Waters, although a great writer, gets too much credit. Gilmour WAS the Floyd sound. Beautiful phrasing as well.

Hendrix - no explaination necessary.

Django Reinhardt - Dude played with two fingers! Holy crap!

Joe Pass - Pretty damn impressive for a guy with little or no knowledge of formal music theory.

Buckethead - not for his shredding, but for his total command of conveying specific emotions through his playing. Go buy his album "Colma" and you'lle see what I mean.

[edit]
I'm surprised at how many times I see Petrucci on this list. He sounds like a machine programmed to play 32nd note runs and string skipping excersizes. Anyone who claims that he plays with alot of "feeling" needs to listen more to the above guys. Just cause he throws in a slow bend now and then doesn't mean he plays with emotion. His phrasing is just so blah.

• Members

Overall...

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Eddie Van Halen
3. Eric Clapton
4. Jimmy Page
5. David Gilmour

Musically...

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. David Gilmour
3. Eric Clapton
4. Jimmy Page
5. Pete Townshend

Technically...

1. Eddie Van Halen
2. Slash
3. Yngwie Malmsteen
4. Steve Vai
5. Jimi Hendrix

• Members

Potentially off topic:

I agree with most. Yet, I often think back to a person I was fortunate enough to have met in high school. He had the largest influence, and gave the most inspiration. I could listen to Page, or Lifeson all night, and in turn, lean to play Page and Lifeson. But when I went to Tony's house, and he played Page, or who ever else we might be listening to, I was moved. I suddenly, understood. Jimmy Page, Alex Lifeson, et al, are great. Tony playing the masters work's, was to me, as if I were in their presence. I was in their presence! I miss playing with him, and a better understanding of them, as only he could give.

#1: Tony Caprara!!

Intersting link to a Who site, showing one of Towensend's amp's, that we unknowingly found one afternoon in a guitar shop, in Greater Cleveland.

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/cp103.htm

• 1 month later...
  • Members

(only rock guitarists and blues i guess)
No particular order

Jimmy Page
Jimi Hendrix
Pete Townshend
Dave Gilmour
Brian May

close misses

Joe Walsh (was he mentioned yet?!!)
Gary Moore
B.B. King
Eric Clapton
Eddie Van Halen