Overtones: Bridge or technique?

math2014

• Members

That doesn't sound like bridge rattle, bridge rattle is more like a buzz type sound. Try lowering the pickups a lot and see if it goes away. If possible, try your amp in a different room in case it's something in the room resonating.

• Members

Originally posted by math2014

Well i tried plugging my guitar in 2 other amps in a shop and it did the same thing, so i am left clueless on what can be causing this. Faulty pickup????

Could be that you need to work on your muting technique or maybe the strings are vibrating behind the nut and causing the ringing.

• Members

After listening to the clip, it doesn't sound like the saddles are rattling. If the pickup height looks ok, I'd suggest having someone else try playing it to see if it's your technique. From the sound of it, that doesn't seem to be the case. It sounds like it could be a problem with the pickup. If someone else plays it and it does the same thing, you'll know its not the way you're playing and is probably the pickup, afterwhich you should try replacing it to see if that helps.

• Members

I hadn't noticed the clip before. That sounds like microphonic feedback. Pickup could be junk. It reminds me too much of the piss poor pickups in some old, cheapass guitars I had in the past that would feedback at all volume levels if there were the tiniest bit of distortion happening.

• Members

Originally posted by Pope on a Rope

I hadn't noticed the clip before. That sounds like microphonic feedback. Pickup could be junk. It reminds me too much of the piss poor pickups in some old, cheapass guitars I had in the past that would feedback at all volume levels if there were the tiniest bit of distortion happening.

If i wasnt 100% sure that it wasnt guitar related, i would have said that one of my tubes in the amp is going microphonic.

So that thing with the pickup sounds very interesting, since the bridge pickup does this while the neck pickup doesnt do it.

Do microphonic pickups produce that strange ringing sound as in the clip?

• Members

Well if i mute then i think it goes away, but then again maybe my attack changes.

The guitar is 6months old.

Are you sure this metalic background sound is pickup related? I am asking this because depending on notes/attack this metalic sound is/isnt there.

On the neck PU it isnt there no matter what.

Yannis

• Members

Can't be 100% sure, but it certainly sounds like it. Try tapping the pickup with a pencil in a few different places. If you can get it to make a similar noise by doing that then you're pretty sure it's a microphonic pickup.

• Members

Originally posted by walfordr

Can't be 100% sure, but it certainly sounds like it. Try tapping the pickup with a pencil in a few different places. If you can get it to make a similar noise by doing that then you're pretty sure it's a microphonic pickup.

Is it the same thing as tapping it with a pick?

In general should i get ANY noise from tapping the pickup with a pick?

• Members

You often do get noise by tapping the pickup with anything. I have to agree that it sounds like a microphonic pickup. You said it was a Tokai. Some of the MIJ ones I've tried have been very prone to feedback.

• Members

Originally posted by LaXu

You often do get noise by tapping the pickup with anything. I have to agree that it sounds like a microphonic pickup. You said it was a Tokai. Some of the MIJ ones I've tried have been very prone to feedback.

Yes it is a MIJ Tokai... the pickups do get feedback in general.

Man this problem is driving me nuts, i am on the verge of starting to act like the Who on stage.

So i should exclude bridge/frets/neck/body/tuners from this?

focus on pickups?

If it was something else, lets say bridge or neck or body or frets or technique, would that happen on the neck pickup as well?

• Members

The newer mid-range Tokais I've tried have been less prone to feedback compared to the older ones (back when the LS-85Q was called the LS-75Q). To rule out that it isn't the strings beyond the headstock and bridge, wrap a piece of cloth or something on the strings between the tailpiece and tune-o-matic as well as between the tuners and nut.

I still think it's the pickups though. You could try turning the tone pots on the guitar low and see if that helps because less trebly tones don't usually feedback so easily.

• Members

Originally posted by LaXu

I still think it's the pickups though. You could try turning the tone pots on the guitar low and see if that helps because less trebly tones don't usually feedback so easily.

Man you NAILED IT. If i roll off tone, that noise goes away completely.

So i guess my pups are crap.

Archived