Squier Tele vs. Fender Tele '52 reissue...

kevorkazito

• Members

Over the past couple of years I've really wanted a Telecaster (I'm a huge Page fan so that made me want one even more). My friendly neighborhood music store (Long&McQuade, wpg) has a lovely '52 reissue for $1750. Totally out of my price range.

Today I went to the store to hang with my bud getting some stuff and they have this Affinity Series Tele there. I picked it up and noodled a bit with it. The guitar is a gorgeous Butterscotch Blonde. That guitar played so nice I tried it in the sound room through a 50W, Mesa-Longhead and 4x12 bottom. The guitar plays very well and sounds very nice (although the intonation is bad). I run out of the room and grabbed that '52 Tele to compare them. What I found out shocked me.

The Fender Tele '52 reissue was super heavy. The neck was really slow with that laquer on it. The fret job was horrendous as their ends were sharp and not properly seated. So I went back and forth, forth and back. Damn Squier sounds and plays way better than that Tele. The 52 reissue sounds low and dead compared to the Squier. Even the Squier's neck, the bare'ish maple is so sweet to play. I goes and gets my friend and asked to participate in the test. Hand him one, then the other. His reply to me was WHOA, I THOUGHT I PLAYING THE FENDER 52 TELE FIRST! (he played the Squier first) Because, it's *supposed* to be better, right?

Needles to say, that Squier Tele was put on layaway today... floor price was $185cdn with tax, $210. That 52 reissue was $1750, with tax $1995cdn. I made a quick stop at the Bare Knuck Pickups site and chose a new complement of p/u's for it. So it'll sound more like and original 'Broadcaster' with the screaming bridge pu (that incidently came from a lapsteel before they tamed it down for country players).

How can this be? I've been playing guitar since '77 and have owned a plethora of guitars, both high and low quality. I have decent sense of the feel and tone. There is no way in hell that the 52 reissue sounds $1750 better (the Squier cost as much as the sales tax on it).

Later on having coffee with my friend I was thinking that maybe I'm a 'hotdogs and pepsi' sort of person instead of 'filet mignon and chardonnay'. He said that he felt the difference too.

Again I ask what the hell is going on? I feel for newbies who are at the mercy of sales people and marketing hype. Atleast at this store I was able to get a confession from a salesman there that the whole wall of LPs that they had were 'dogs'. Crimony!

Anyhow, I thought that my fellow formites might get a chuckle out of this story. Now I can get on with the music. Play on!

• Members

Well, I own both.

And without much hesitation, I'd say the '52 is better - BUT

The problem with reissues IS that they reissue EVERYTHING about the guitar.

So you do get the sticky finish that I also don't like. But that's why folks used to (and still do) talk about "breaking in" a guitar. Eventually with plenty of play that stuff would be worn off the play areas and then you get that natural relic'ing, etc etc.

The pups on the 52 are also quite low output as you'd expect from a vintage instrument. But I'd also imagine that the slab is a bit thicker on the 52 which may be why is seemed heavier to you.

But I bought the Squier Affinity Tele Spec. (butterscotch) to be more of a player's guitar. I'm a sick puppy and I just occasionally bring out my better guitars but actually prefer to play my medium and lower priced guitar.

That being said though, I did get a sweet deal on that '52. A local small shop had it kicking around too long and they blew it out for 50% off which was a mere $825 at that time.

Enjoy the Squier. I'm eventually going to either sell mine off or put some new pups in it myself. But I'm not sure since I am kinda "tele heavy" in my collection these days.

• Members

Thanks for that analysis GAS Man, it's awesome to hear from someone who has both, and a tele guy at that! ... if I could afford it I would get the 52 reissue and eq it and work it in, no doubt. This one I played was definitely not worthy of its price tag. I'm sure that many out there are.

I do feel good about having that tele though; no regrets of settling for an inferior guitar to satisfy my want and need for a telecaster... my band back in '81, we were doing Steve Morse and the Dixie Dregs covers and I would drool over that beautiful one which Steve had.

The crazy thing is that the pickups are 135BritishPounds which works out to $264... way more than I paid for the axe. I'm gonna hold off on that purchase for awhile :cry:

Like I said the guitar is on layaway and I can't wait to get it... work sacrificing groceries for the next month and a half to get... at least I'll look good for summer with the weight loss LOL

• Members

Hey...I was thinking of posting a similar rave. Last week I got in my PRS SE Soapbar II(maple)($499) and the very next day, I got in my brand-new butterscotch blonde/black pick-guard squire affinity tele($109 scratch/dent on music123). Evidentally the scratch or dent was a small ding the size of a q-tip head on the front which I REALLY had to search for. Bottom line-The PRS blew me away...despite being Korean made, this is a hell of a guitar. That being said, even though I don't want it to be, the cheap-ass tele's even better!!!

• Members

Yeah I was after a 52, Found one shop had one, they had sold lots of them, but had one more expensive than the rest.. It weight 7lbs, was perfect, super airey and resonant.. Was the perfect 52, and they knew it.. So I bought it!

Its getting even better the older it gets, its so damn good.. But yeah, $1700 difference is a lot!

• Members

I`ve got two RIs...one copper one black, both light weight and from 1997...before they adjusted the reissue necks and p`ups. I have other guitars that I`ve taken a Scotch Guard pad to, I removed the necks and tuners and took the poly layer off ever so carefully and it works great. Granted you shouldn`t have to do that to a $1700.oo guitar but if you buy it to play then it`s real easy to take that sticky off...and I am real ahppy with the results on the guitars I`ve done it to... after a while they get a nice sheen to em and play great. Haven`t done it to the 52s because I want to keep those rare colors stock and I have other teles to play but if you have another guitar, give the Scotch Guard thing a whirl...works for me.

The finish n the black 52 is very thin... the grain of the wood is visible through it and it`s a two piece. the grain on the copper is not visible but I can see one seam in the right light. I love em both but they are not my best teles.

• Members

I have one of those Squier teles and when I bought it I also played it back to back with a 52 RI. The 52 was nicer overall, but they compared favorably in tone and playability. In fact, I preferred the sound of the Squier's neck pickup.

The downside is that the Squier's build quality isn't the best, but that's what you get for the price of the 52. The 52 was nearly perfect in its fit/finish, even though it'd been on the floor for a while.

• Moderators

Seriously man.........Tim at BKP is a great guy and makes brilliant pups................but they aint worth that money............thats UK rip off prices.............you can get summat in the States as good for a lot less money....GFS, Vintage Vibes, Lollar, Bill Lawrence(both versions:D )

I reckon even if my pockets were dripping with cash I wouldnt use any UK based guitar dudes, they're all a rip off....apart from Axesrus, who are great for parts and customer service.

• Members

Good to hear you found a nice Squier to buy! They make some real gems, and some real garbage too! To be expected in that price range. I have played a 52 RI Tele once at a local GC. I was playing it though a RI tweed Fender bassman amp, and that particular combo made me think I had died and gone to tone heaven. I really like all the quirks of the 52 RI, but I can see where it would not be everyones cup of tea.

• Members

Originally posted by DenverDave

Good to hear you found a nice Squier to buy! They make some real gems, and some real garbage too! To be expected in that price range. I have played a 52 RI Tele once at a local GC. I was playing it though a RI tweed Fender bassman amp, and that particular combo made me think I had died and gone to tone heaven. I really like all the quirks of the 52 RI, but I can see where it would not be everyones cup of tea.

AFA Squier Teles are concerned, two of my favorite Teles are used Squiers (both Protones). However one is a Thinline and the other is a Fat Ash with a rosewood f'bd, so neither is directly comparable to the '52 RI.

However...

another gem in the harem is my MIM 50's Tele. It cops the 50's mojo pretty well, very well with swapped-in brass bridge barrels, and can be had for less than half of what a MIA 52RI costs. I got mine new at a GC green-tag sale for about $350...screamin' deal.

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

However...

another gem in the harem is my MIM 50's Tele. It cops the 50's mojo pretty well, very well with swapped-in brass bridge barrels, and can be had for less than half of what a MIA 52RI costs.

Do they still make MIM 50's Tele's?? I haven't seen one in GC, and would probably snach one up if I had the chance. The Protone Squiers are pretty rare on eBay these days too, and are fetching a bit more than I care to pay for a Squier...

• Members

You are sooo right. My best music buddy puts BKs in all his axes and damn he pays big $$. I can't pay that much. I paid $180 for a SD Jeff Beck when it came out. That was steep.

Boutique gear is awesome if you can afford it though.

Originally posted by Fosse Fox

Seriously man.........Tim at BKP is a great guy and makes brilliant pups................but they aint worth that money............thats UK rip off prices.............you can get summat in the States as good for a lot less money....GFS, Vintage Vibes, Lollar, Bill Lawrence(both versions:D )

I reckon even if my pockets were dripping with cash I wouldnt use any UK based guitar dudes, they're all a rip off....apart from Axesrus, who are great for parts and customer service.

• Members

Fenders by design were meant to be an inexpensive guitar that could be mass produced easily. I don't see any reason why an imported guitar would automatically be deemed inferior if the quality control and materials are equal. The original guitars were great by accident. It was a bunch of happy coincidences that just happened to work out great for us.

• Members

Originally posted by voneville

The original guitars were great by accident. It was a bunch of happy coincidences that just happened to work out great for us.

The original guitars weren't that much greater at the time they were made (aging is a different story). They're classics by default because they defined the sound that later guitars were compared to.

• Members

Originally posted by kevorkazito

Over the past couple of years I've really wanted a Telecaster (I'm a huge Page fan so that made me want one even more). My friendly neighborhood music store (Long&McQuade, wpg) has a lovely '52 reissue for $1750. Totally out of my price range.

Today I went to the store to hang with my bud getting some stuff and they have this Affinity Series Tele there. I picked it up and noodled a bit with it. The guitar is a gorgeous Butterscotch Blonde. That guitar played so nice I tried it in the sound room through a 50W, Mesa-Longhead and 4x12 bottom. The guitar plays very well and sounds very nice (although the intonation is bad). I run out of the room and grabbed that '52 Tele to compare them. What I found out shocked me.

The Fender Tele '52 reissue was super heavy. The neck was really slow with that laquer on it. The fret job was horrendous as their ends were sharp and not properly seated. So I went back and forth, forth and back. Damn Squier sounds and plays way better than that Tele. The 52 reissue sounds low and dead compared to the Squier. Even the Squier's neck, the bare'ish maple is so sweet to play. I goes and gets my friend and asked to participate in the test. Hand him one, then the other. His reply to me was WHOA, I THOUGHT I PLAYING THE FENDER 52 TELE FIRST! (he played the Squier first) Because, it's *supposed* to be better, right?

Needles to say, that Squier Tele was put on layaway today... floor price was $185cdn with tax, $210. That 52 reissue was $1750, with tax $1995cdn. I made a quick stop at the
and chose a new complement of p/u's for it. So it'll sound more like and original 'Broadcaster' with the screaming bridge pu (that incidently came from a lapsteel before they tamed it down for country players).

How can this be? I've been playing guitar since '77 and have owned a plethora of guitars, both high and low quality. I have decent sense of the feel and tone. There is no way in hell that the 52 reissue sounds $1750 better (the Squier cost as much as the sales tax on it).

Later on having coffee with my friend I was thinking that maybe I'm a 'hotdogs and pepsi' sort of person instead of 'filet mignon and chardonnay'. He said that he felt the difference too.

Again I ask what the hell is going on? I feel for newbies who are at the mercy of sales people and marketing hype. Atleast at this store I was able to get a confession from a salesman there that the whole wall of LPs that they had were 'dogs'. Crimony!

Anyhow, I thought that my fellow formites might get a chuckle out of this story. Now I can get on with the music. Play on!

don't get to rapped up in the 52 reissue. I OWN ONE AND I BOUGHT IT IN 1983, IT COST 400 BUCKS BRAND NEW AND IT'S WORTH ALL OF THAT AND MAYBE ABIT MORE, BUT NOT 1700. NO WAY. AND BESIDES TGHE FRIGGING THING IS MADE IN MEXICO NOW.

Get youself a nice G&L, or Melacon.

• Members

I picked up my butterscotch affinity about a year ago from Sam Ash. I had played it a couple times whenever I was there and kept going back to it because it felt really nice. I didn't have a tele so I went and bought it with the intent of modding it.

I played it stock for a few months and was very surprised at how much I loved it. A couple hardcore tele fans suggested I put a new bridge and brass saddles on it so I did that and am happy with the change in tone. I drilled the bridge into a top loader so I didn't have to drill the tele body (don't have a drill press). I also tinted the neck with some brown shoe polish and threw on some strap locks, but otherwise it's stock.

I really love that guitar. It has become my main which is weird because I have guitars that cost nearly 10 times as much. Other guitars include a MIA Strat, Carvin SC90S, and an Artcore. I've played a few USA modern and vintage teles and it's amazing how well the Squire stands up to them.

• Members

I've been thinking about pickin one up, in fact I was lookin at it on MF this morning. I moded my affinity tele with a P-90 and I miss having a stock-ish tele. I still have my texas specials. I was thinking about building a body and buying a neck, but this may be the way to go. But it's a top loader, not a string through?

• Members

alot of low-end guitars are getting waaaay better than people will give them credit for...

I fully agree. I love the OLP MM1F for $250-$300 and with about another $100-$150 invested in pickups, etc. you have a guitar on par with ones which are much more expensive. But, the stock OLP MM1 pups are very hot and I like em how they are...but for resale you need "name" pups in it...

Now, here's my kicker: I bought a Strat Pack a couple of years ago to help me get my fingers broken in after about 10 years of not playing and to pass along to my son when he gets alittle older. It may have just been the Affinity Strat I got, but the neck was PERFECT in feel for me...flat and C-shaped. The thing was put together more solidly than guitars I've owned which cost much more. The tone was on par with, but not exactly the same as "real deal" Fender Strats I'd owned and/or played before.

I guess maybe there was some guy in Indonesia who took pride in the product he was making.

BTW...those are HOTT Tele pics you've posted! GREAT DEAL, man!

Archived