a little live recording

• Members

so this friday my band has a battle of the bands type gig and we would like to get a little recording of the 2 songs we play. we are thinking of just doing it simple and running a tape recorder pluged into a left and right out. all the instruments will be miced so the house stereo mix should do. what is an ok little tape recorder going to cost and what should i look for?

• Moderators

Borrow a little MiniDisc recorder. Borrow a Mackie 12 channel board or whatever. Put up two mics in the room. Radio Shack PZMs are great for this. Take the master out from the board and plug that in to 2 inputs. Mix the board mix with your room mics about 50/50. Bring phones to get a handle on the right blend with the band before you. Press record and run onstage shouting "Hellllooo Cincinnati!!"

• Members

That'll work, but like Lee said you'll want to include a couple of 'live' mics to pick up the sounds of the audience. Judicious use of that really helps a live recording. If the board has an unused aux. send, use it instead of the main outs to get a better mix. The master sends are not really going to output a balanced mix.

Best, Paul

• Moderators

Yeah... the problem with taking a board mix only is it won't sound right. It'll be clear, etc. but it will be wrong. Any sound coming off the stage softer than any other sound will be MUCH louder in this mix. Vocals. You'll only hear vocals. That mix by design is supplementing the acoustic activity of the room. Guitar amps might make their way in but at substantially diminished levels. Get what I'm saying? If you don't, it might be useful for you to actually just get the board mix so you can hear what I mean.

That's why I recommend mixing in room mics. That way you get what's really happening in the room, the ambience, the correct balance, the crowd, and you get extra focus on the vocals, a lead solo, etc. from the board mix.

• Members

hmm, ok. what about this. i am getting a friend to video tape the performance as well so what if we just something like an at2020 into the aux mic of the video camera. because we can always seperate the audio and video parts on the computer.

Willy,

That'll also work, but you're going backwards. You'll get a better balance than the main outs of the house board, but you're now down to a mono mix. Also assuming you're shooting from the FOH and the mic is attached to the camera, the balance will change as the camera moves from location to location. You're definately better off to take the time and rent/borrow a small board and (at the very least) use a couple of permanently placed house mics. A second AT2020 would be great. That mix can then be printed to the video tape in real time, and will give you a much better product(with no operator noise). BTW, the 2020 also requires 48VDC phantom power, so you have to figure out where that's going to come.

Best, Paul

• Members

...should be easy enough to sync up with the video.

Famous last words. You're gonna need a timecode somewhere (usually pre-recorded to the video tape) along the line for the audio and the video to chase. Otherwise you're in for a long day of time stretching, shrinking and shifting. If you have time, google "SMPTE timecode" and see how this is done. AAR, have fun and good luck.

Best, Paul

• Moderators

Famous last words. You're gonna need a timecode somewhere...

I don't know how true that is anymore. With DV and digital audio, there is no drift. They sync up just fine. Get the drummer to count the first song off while clicking his sticks along with his verbal 1, 2, 3, 4. Use that to sync and I bet you won't have issues.

Archived